1991 Toyota Pickup SCSB "Ruby" (Picture Heavy)

• HTML tutorial

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Thanks!

That little crawler looks pretty capable - "die yuppie scum":tearsofjoy:

It has been a good run with the 22re's with me, nothing major ever. Ruby will need a timing chain in the next 20k, as it's getting a little chattery, but besides that.. yup.

What was your experience like with your 3.0's? My T4R is getting a donor short block, decked heads, new rings, gaskets, bearings, water/oil pump - essentially a full refresh. Also wrapping the crossover exhaust with heat tape, new head studs, AC delete, ADD hub delete, Cruise delete etc. Anything major maintenance wise you would say watch out for? Planning tentatively on 33x10.5x15 Toyo Mt's on the SR5 rims, think I will have any issues turning them with the stock 4.56 gears?

I know all this stuff can be found on various forums, but it would be nice to get a fellow OB members perspective.

IMG_3966.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy P

Batmango66

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana 930, New Haven, IN, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Thanks!

That little crawler looks pretty capable - "die yuppie scum":tearsofjoy:

It has been a good run with the 22re's with me, nothing major ever. Ruby will need a timing chain in the next 20k, as it's getting a little chattery, but besides that.. yup.

What was your experience like with your 3.0's? My T4R is getting a donor short block, decked heads, new rings, gaskets, bearings, water/oil pump - essentially a full refresh. Also wrapping the crossover exhaust with heat tape, new head studs, AC delete, ADD hub delete, Cruise delete etc. Anything major maintenance wise you would say watch out for? Planning tentatively on 33x10.5x15 Toyo Mt's on the SR5 rims, think I will have any issues turning them with the stock 4.56 gears?

I know all this stuff can be found on various forums, but it would be nice to get a fellow OB members perspective.

View attachment 35762
I never had an issue with the 3.0, I know they have a reputation but I personally had no issues. It had over 150k on it and I drove it home from AK to IN and then more than a few times to the UP (1100 mi round trip). You won't have a problem turning the larger tires, I don't remember much power loss when I put the 33's on the 3.0 4runner but gas mileage dropped considerably. If I remember, and I could be wrong here, but I think that 32's will fit that without a lift but going that wide, I'm sure you are planning some lift. The 22re really didn't have a problem with them either but top speed was about 60-65. I know the 3.0l have the bad rep. but I honestly didn't have any problems. It's kinda odd to me but I see more of the 3rd gens with the 3.0l than any other years so that's gotta say something. Those were sort of the beginning of the end of the ridiculous rust problems that Toyota had, so maybe that's why, or it's just my imagination. Seems like you're getting all the important stuff done anyway so really the only worry I would have, if I were you, would be diligent maintenance. That is one clean looking rig though, especially for Alaska! Love to see it when you get it... Never mind, were never finished... ;)

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Thanks for the input, I agree that most of the vehicles you see on the road are indeed the 3.0.

You were right about the lift, just 1 1/4" spacers (BJ and rear coils), + some new stock height Moog coils and 1.5"+ shocks all the way around. I have seen many threads where people fit 33"s with just a little persuasion.

I am planning on going either Toyo MT's or the AT KO2, in either the 31 or 33 in the 10.5 flavor.

What kind of gears did you have in your 3.0, manual or auto tranny, truck or T4R?

Thanks again.

I never had an issue with the 3.0, I know they have a reputation but I personally had no issues. It had over 150k on it and I drove it home from AK to IN and then more than a few times to the UP (1100 mi round trip). You won't have a problem turning the larger tires, I don't remember much power loss when I put the 33's on the 3.0 4runner but gas mileage dropped considerably. If I remember, and I could be wrong here, but I think that 32's will fit that without a lift but going that wide, I'm sure you are planning some lift. The 22re really didn't have a problem with them either but top speed was about 60-65. I know the 3.0l have the bad rep. but I honestly didn't have any problems. It's kinda odd to me but I see more of the 3rd gens with the 3.0l than any other years so that's gotta say something. Those were sort of the beginning of the end of the ridiculous rust problems that Toyota had, so maybe that's why, or it's just my imagination. Seems like you're getting all the important stuff done anyway so really the only worry I would have, if I were you, would be diligent maintenance. That is one clean looking rig though, especially for Alaska! Love to see it when you get it... Never mind, were never finished... ;)

Batmango66

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana 930, New Haven, IN, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Thanks for the input, I agree that most of the vehicles you see on the road are indeed the 3.0.

You were right about the lift, just 1 1/4" spacers (BJ and rear coils), + some new stock height Moog coils and 1.5"+ shocks all the way around. I have seen many threads where people fit 33"s with just a little persuasion.

I am planning on going either Toyo MT's or the AT KO2, in either the 31 or 33 in the 10.5 flavor.

What kind of gears did you have in your 3.0, manual or auto tranny, truck or T4R?

Thanks again.
Only had 5 speeds on all my Toyota’s until I got the ‘98 runner, the ‘06 I have now is also an auto. As far as gearing on the others, likely stock,I never changed anything on them but they were both used.

Currently I am running General Grabber AT2’s 275/65-18’s and have been very happy with them with a fair amount of mud, sand and pavement use, haven’t used them hardly at all in winter conditions as we haven’t had a real winter for three years. They have a similar footprint to the BFG T/A ‘s. Though, I hesitate to recommend tires;
simply because we all have different needs and expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

I'm just about done with my yota, I can't wait to share with a build thread of my own. 79 cab on a 84 4runner frame and drive train. Hysteer, lift shackles 5.29s and 35's. Fresh rebuild with cam header and exhaust. I wanna get a shell for the bed and build a camper out of it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: alaskan.lad

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

I'm just about done with my yota, I can't wait to share with a build thread of my own. 79 cab on a 84 4runner frame and drive train. Hysteer, lift shackles 5.29s and 35's. Fresh rebuild with cam header and exhaust. I wanna get a shell for the bed and build a camper out of it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using OB Talk mobile app
Sounds like a crawler! I think the 5.29's and the fresh motor should turn those big 35's nicely. Good luck on your build!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

OMG, that is a nice rig! On CL Seatle, The thing is those motors make that noise (tapping noise) straight off the lot. I had a 1986 toyota truck with 36k that made that noise all the time and ran strong. My friend had bought one new off the lot that alway made that faint tapping that would come and go. I wish that was a little closer to me in Colorado.

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Good looking rig @ThexColexMAN ! Thanks for sharing. I will always have soft spot for these old 3rd gens, especially in the single cab configuration! Glad to help out with the inspiration.

@JDGreens the infamous 22r/re valve chatter, never gets old!

Reactions: Jimmy P