1991 Toyota Pickup SCSB "Ruby" (Picture Heavy)

• HTML tutorial

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

1991 Toyota Pickup DLX (carpet, roll windows, sliding rear glass)

22re 4cyl (estimated 110 HP with mods)

w56 transmission

IFS, 5 speed, manual hubs

Yakima 48” round bars/q-towers/wind fairing

LC high-flow thermostat

LC headers

LC 2.5 exhaust with cat delete

LC CAI

Optima Red Top

Plugs/Wires/Timing adjustment

Rear main seal

LUK clutch/throwout bearing

New starter (napa)

New alternator (napa)

New OEM master cylinder

New belts (PS & Alternator/fan) (no AC)

Napa 1515 oil filter (larger capacity filter for tacoma’s, but will work on the 22re)

Block heater

Trail gear F/R tube bumpers

Trail gear LED blinkers F, LED rear brake, turn and reverse lights

Vision X headlamp housings w/ HID factory 6000k LED bulbs

Low Range Offroad LED dome light

Bosch windshield wipers

Wilson 4’ CB ant./ Cobra CB (nothing special)

Upgraded sound w/hands free & bluetooth (kenwood deck, focal door speakers/tweeters & powered sub.. wanted to keep all the cab room I could, but still love me some bluegrass for the open road)

Bilstien shocks all four corners

Rocky Ridge locking hubs

New rear wheel bearings

Lucas in front/rear diffs, transmission/transfer case

Tuff Country AAL in rear w/ new leaf spring bushings

1/4” wheel spacers in front only

x5 Cooper STT Pro 30x9.5x15 on x5 OEM Toyota aluminum SR5 rims that were professionally powder-coated

All 4 balljoints

Front sway bar bushings

New front calipers and pads

New rear drums w/ parking brake adjustment

Replaced old shot bench seat with bucket seats out of an SR5 model. After pressure washing the filth off and drying, covered with NorthCore camo seat covers off of Amazon (from UK)

Ammo can center console

Hard mounted fire extinguisher inside cab between seats

TG mountain shift knob/ TG 2WD-4WD shift knob

Custom built insulated canopy sourced locally, wood framed, insulated and wrapped in some high density fiber sheeting. Topped with a wooden rack that is easily on and off that has a yakima basket hard mounted and room for the canoe on one side.

Rear camping boxes - two full length drawers, with two cubbies on one side of the bed, and open along the other side.

To be installed :

R151 transmission from 22RTE

Yukon grizzly locker (installed)

Trail Gear 10K winch with 100ft synthetic line & TG aluminum fairlead (installed)

Rear tire swinging gate

Battery tender/Oil pan heater tied in with the block heater then onto a 3 way shorty extension for sweet starts during the cold months here. (installed)

History - bought the truck with 179,xxx on it out of SLC when I was living in Pocatello, ID. The guy had a hard time walking away from it, as I probably would have now. However then, it was pretty ratty, besides a decent wax job. It was sitting on 17” FJ cruiser black steelies with bald BFG M/T's that came out to about 32’s. It had its fair share of body dents (some small, a few large), as well as real rusty rear bumper, blown shocks, dirty engine bay ETC. It ran decent, as it always has, but there was things that needed addressed before it was going to make the road trip to Seattle to be barged up back to AK the following spring. Pretty much everything preventative was done in ID, with the real build beginning once it found its way back home.

Sometime in the winter when the wax wore off I noticed that the entire front clip, and tailgate are painted a different red (with a crappier paint job) than the rest of the body. I surmise that at one point there was an accident, but the title was clean and clear when I purchased it. Not sure if it has affected drivability, and I was able to get a clean AK title (not that I would ever sell), so it never really bothered me. Gives me a good reason to break out the carnauba once in the while. Ive considered a full body restoration, but its not likely anytime soon. Maybe for her 300k birthday.

The truck just broke 200,000, and with no real maintenance history, I have already filled a 1” binder half full with receipts. It runs great, all 22re’s love getting dipped into the torque band, but this 22re out of the prior 5 I have owned is by far the fastest.

Based on the build sheet, you can kind of see the direction it is going. I would love to SAS someday, and surely will, but the platform of the truck is made for longevity if not overly modded out. I haven't even touched the torsion bars. The truck has been built to DD, and run mild trails locally, as well as strike out on the long empty stretches of highway here in Alaska. I wanted a multipurpose rig, and have always had a soft spot for SCSB Toyota’s. “Ruby” affectionately named has filled that gap for me, and she gets a lot of compliments on how clean the body is for the age and generation.

With everyone running high end rigs these days, i’ll bring up the rear in classic style, slow and steady!

Will start posting older pictures first, then take some new pictures this week. Any questions? Fire away!

Thanks for reading.

IMG_0619.JPG
the day I bought it.

IMG_1198.JPG
the following spring with some new tread on the 17's (general grabber, good tread) and a canopy I picked up to keep things dry.
fullsizeoutput_be9.jpeg
little road trip action in UT
IMG_0709.JPG
Grand Tetons, WY. In this shot you can see the major body damage, the ding behind the cab and as well as the fold on the runner where someone put it on a rock somewhere, maybe in the same incident.
IMG_1767.JPG
back in AK with the new topper
IMG_1987.JPG
fresh detail on the engine bay
IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2099.JPG
I ran this set-up for about 1000 miles and decided it was much too slow. Between the roof box, the heavy steels, and the heavy firestone M/T 31's, what was gutless was even worse. Don't get me wrong, I loved the stance, but this was kind of the moment when I decided I needed to be a little less bro about things, and get real with what I wanted the truck to do. And I wanted to use 5th gear. All of fifth gear. The only thing the same with the racks is the basket is still mounted in the same place. The box, and side ladder are gone.
IMG_2534.JPG
TG front bumper, and the first shot of the 30" STT Pros on the 15" SR5 rims
IMG_2607.JPG IMG_2632.JPG
#swaybar #noflex but a decent shot of how the tire and rim set up turned out.
IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2934.JPG
the rear TG bumper, gotta love that fender protection.
IMG_2928.JPG IMG_2929.JPG
the rear boxes, will talk more about those later.
IMG_3016.JPG IMG_3217.JPG IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3303.JPG IMG_3306.JPG IMG_3307.JPG
thats the end of the all the old pictures, up to fairly recently. Ill get the camera out and take some fresh ones this week to get everyone up to speed on the build! Then onto the rest of the story! Thanks for checking out the post, ya'll. Have a great day.

Attachments

Last edited:

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Having watched the top gear Toyota challenge years back this rig looks like a teenager! They just don't stop. Looks great! Jealous but happy with my full size Chev. Safe trips!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

This is quite literally my dream truck. Red 90s Yota SCSB. I ended up with a clean 1987 4Runner instead--since moved on to a lifted Volvo Wagon--but I still lust after these. Absolutely beautiful build man. I look forward to giving it a more in-depth review later on as I've gotta get to work [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: steelguitars

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

This is quite literally my dream truck. Red 90s Yota SCSB. I ended up with a clean 1987 4Runner instead--since moved on to a lifted Volvo Wagon--but I still lust after these. Absolutely beautiful build man. I look forward to giving it a more in-depth review later on as I've gotta get to work [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, ill be looking forward to hearing the review ;). Appreciate the kind words, glad I'm not the only person out there who thinks this chassis should be appreciated more!

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Having watched the top gear Toyota challenge years back this rig looks like a teenager! They just don't stop. Looks great! Jealous but happy with my full size Chev. Safe trips!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with a full size chevy, I had a SCSB 4.8 with some mods on it for awhile, and sure do miss driving it. Thanks for the post, safe travels!

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Did a little salmon fishing this week, had to improvise a rig to attach the dip-net to the truck. Worked good! IMG_3461.jpg IMG_3456.JPG IMG_3462.jpg

Reactions: ASNOBODY

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Thanks! I love the nostalgia factor that generation has for certain folks. Ive heard nothing but bad stuff about the 3.0 in 4x4's but I have a buddy who dailys one in a single cab long bed and loves it. He made a 400 mile suicide run recently and was amazed to find out that he could pull big hills in fifth gear doing ninety while passing other pickups of the same years finding third. Guess its not all bad.

I love my Pro's. I really do. I have about 12,000 on them and have enjoyed every one. They run decently quiet, don't pull, eat up off road like no ones business. I just had them siped for the coming winter and will probably end up running about 30 PSI, but ran them last winter in the ice and snow up here at about 25 PSI and they were fine with conservative driving. Hard packed snow off-road was pretty much the same performance as hard pack dirt.

I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good all purpose tire.

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Yeah roger that. I am just on the edge of being under geared with my 30's, but still am fairly comfortable at highway speeds. Ill usually always find 4th on hills if I don't have a good run, and average about 15mpg all around.

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Installed the winch today, along with quick connects so it can be unplugged when not in use. Put a quick connect on my jumper cables as well, to make for super easy jumps. soldered all of the connections for longevity purposes. The install went fairly well, being a Trail-gear winch going on a TG bumper, all the holes lined up and came together well. TG aluminum fairlead. Got the synthetic line wound up on it, and had time to rattle-can the hook red. Impressed with the reel speed, as well as the design of the winch (TG 10k). The real test will come when a tree needs to be moved or the truck needs moved out of a hole. There was some clearance issues with the grille, and a it needed to be cut just a little in the middle. The grill is temporary, as I have an 83' grille swap in the works :), but it looks decent for now.

IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG

The rear diff went in today as well. Toyota 8" rear that was tore down and rebuilt on the bench with new bearings and such - Yukon Grizzly locker went in at the same time, then it went into storage until got some free time. Install went good, and was just about needed due to seepage at the seal on the cover. Rattle canned heavy with Ferd blue. Quick trail run - WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The locker performed flawlessly, and I was able to crawl everywhere I pointed the truck in just 2lo. There is a bit of a surge when getting back onto the gas going around corners, but it's only momentary, and may lessen as time goes by and things get broke in. Running 80-90w Napa non-synthetic. Long term review will come later, but I would recommend this locker to anyone looking to get into a streetable mechanical locker.

IMG_3547.JPG

Also this week deleted some emissions tubes to free up access to valve cover, thermostat housing, injectors etc. that was buried underneath the tubes. Picked up rubber caps from Oreillys, and went to town. It seems to run better not having a bunch of stuff re-circulating into the system, and makes for a simpler engine bay when diagnosing issues.

IMG_3478.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG
And got my emblem on!

IMG_3556.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG

Planning a 500 mile jaunt through Denali next week, and have been tightening up/organizing gear - as well as re-working my roof rack situation to accommodate 3 - 5gal sure can jugs, among other things.

IMG_3559.JPG

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Finished the 1983 grille swap, after much trimming and a few different zip-tie configurations. Besides ordering the grille off of ebay, I also ordered vertical headlamp doors as my original ones were slanted. Pretty excited about the way it turned out, though the chrome is not really something I am a fan of. Plans to get some black sticker stock to cover it up, as these front clip chrome trim pieces are notoriously hard to paint.

IMG_3578.JPG

Some more preventative maintenance before the trip was a valve adjustment, about half were too tight, with the other half not needing any adjustment. It was the first valve adjustment I had did on the truck, and wasn't sure if it had been done in the previous maintenance history. Also replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and radiator cap with OEM parts from 22re performance.com, what a difference! I had never run OEM plugs or wires in any of my prior 22's, and I can honestly say I will never run anything else. Besides smoothing out the engine, I gained 3mpg, better throttle response, and a cleaner engine bay. Worth every penny.

As far as the locker report : off-road I couldn't be happier. Took the truck down a bouldery, muddy tundra trail, and the combo with the locker and 30's got me as far as a buddy on 33's only getting stuck twice, because of heighth issues. After 500 miles of hard highway driving I change the diff fluid, and it has softened up quite a bit. Still a bit of surge when getting onto the gas around corners, and on hard starts it wants to walk a little bit due to the traction, but its nothing that I can complain about. The locker has only popped once during a corner (loud), but apparently this is a thing and I haven't been worried about it. It disengages well in parking lots and on sticky surfaces, I am completely happy. Looking forward to some winter driving to see how it does in 4wd on highway and around town.

I was able to tighten up my adventure rack configuration to comfortably hold most of my gear, 15 gallons of extra gas, canoe, and hi-lift. I know they say thats its not ideal to have a bunch of weight on the roof, and I could definitely feel it more in the corners, but by driving conservatively and pre-emptively I would feel comfortable running it for extended periods on the road. Even managed to get 19 mpg on the trip!

Now for the trip pictures :

IMG_3622.JPG IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3662.JPG IMG_3663.JPG IMG_3664.JPG IMG_3665.JPG IMG_3672.JPG IMG_3341.JPG IMG_3380.JPG IMG_3443.JPG IMG_3410.JPG IMG_3425.JPG IMG_3647.JPG IMG_3650.JPG

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Also, having all the weight on the rear helper springs finally broke them in. The truck now sits level, without any weight in the back of it, and has softened up quiet a bit. Happy happy.

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Thanks to everyone who commented or followed this thread. I am in the process of selling this truck. I labeled it my therapy build, and the therapy has been completed. I am moving onto a 95 T4R, into more interior room, and a little bit of updated tech. for comfort reasons. If anyone comes across this thread in the future and has questions about the 22re/pickup chassis feel free to reach out and ask any questions, ill do my best to answer any questions. Ill finish the thread with a few more recent pictures. IMG_3874.JPGfullsizeoutput_1022.jpeg IMG_3875.JPGIMG_3879.JPG IMG_3898.JPGIMG_3890.JPG IMG_3891.JPG

Batmango66

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana 930, New Haven, IN, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

I gotta say, this is one BA rig! Had an '87 and an '84, the '87 was bone stock but fully capable. The '84 was originally a show rig lifted an ungodly amount that I do not remember but had either 33" or
35"s on it. The bed which had hydraulics when I bought it was a huge pile of rust so I literally ripped it off and just went with a stubbyflat. It had diamond plate covering the frame so I just cut a couple pieces and made some fenders for it. What a fun truck though. Sadly the tranny went out on both trucks (5speed) so I went to a '98 4runner which I hated the payments on so I sold it and got an '87 4runner which at the time, they weren't the "collectible" that they are today. Anyway, awesome rig, I am fairly jealous... Had two celiacs one with the 22r and one with the re. Both pickups were 22re's and the two 4runners were V6's now my '06 has the 4.7 and it's a monster but those 22re's... never heard a bad thing about them.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jimmy P