Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

We, I suppose Light and 90 Suburban don't belong together, but what I am going to build will not be crazy. I am not building a RTW live in truck, more weekend warrior to explore the country around me.
I had a 1985 Chevy K30 to tow my RV, but it had no room for the dogs once we hit the road. I loved it, but it did not work for me. I sold it and got this 1990 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4.
I bought this with only pictures off the internet. I had no time to go see it and the dealer was 250 miles away in Salem Or.
I knew what I wanted and was not finding it, so I asked the salesman to send me a picture of the RPO codes in the glove box. 88 of them, I sat and decoded every code and found out what this truck had.
It has 4:10 gears, a rear limited slip diff, tow package, 5.7L with a THM400 trans. Front and rear A/C, heavy duty radiator, alternator, oil and trans coolers, etc. It was perfect. I offered them $4300 if they would drive it to my house in Yakima Wa. They agreed.
Once the truck arrived I got a huge surprise. This truck has a brand new GM crate engine, new transmission, all new brakes including calipers, booster, master and linings. New starter, water pump, all belts and hoses, and new battery. I felt like I had won the lottery.
Yes, it is 30 years old, so it still needs a few things. I replaced the passenger window motor, need to install the heater core I just got. I got all 4 new door striker bolts and replaced the factory radio because only the right side channel worked.
Oh, and those terrible wheels and tires. My new tires arrive tomorrow and I still need to get some stock wheels. Those hideous things will go on Craigslist as soon as the others are mounted.

The plan is simple for this thing. I do not want to cut or hack it up, it will remain mostly original or made to return to original. I will be adding some kind of bed to the back, a winch and I already installed a large light bar on the front.
I have some solar panels and solar system that I would like to add to it. I want to find a roof rack, but have not seen anything yet that I like. I have over 400 watts in panels, a 40 amp Rover MPPT controller and 4 deep cycle batteries with a 200 watt pure sine inverter, but I will not put all of that on, most likely it will get about 150-200 watts and one or 2 batteries.
I need slightly more power as my wife and I are both on CPAP machines and they need to run all night. However, they can run on 12V, I have run mine off my bike with an extra battery.
I am afraid to get started the interior may be as simple as an air mattress, cooler, portable grill and a water jug. Once we get out there and get some time in it, we will know better what we want to do to build it out.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Thats my fav year of suburban. We just moved away from Yakima 2 yrs ago, there were no OB members there when we left that we knew of. Welcome to the OB family.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Tires arrived, and I found some wheels at a local yard for $60. I just need to go get them on Monday or Tuesday.
I have been thinking about roof racks and so far the 8020 Aluminum extrusion seems to be the way to go.
Other than the tires, and the new light bar on the front, all I have been able to do is maintenance stuff. New door striker bolts, new heater core, windshield wipers, the right door power window motor, new stereo, and other minor adjustments.
I can't wait to get these stupid wheels off, they rub the fenders and the frame.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Well I was able to get some new wheels for the Suburban yesterday and I got the wheels painted and installed today. I did the mounting of the new tires myself. I used balance beads for balancing and they are working great.
I was not able to find 4 wheels that are exactly alike. They have some very slight differences that I notice, but most other people will not. I plan to find 3 more wheels from a Ford truck/van from the 80-90's. They are 7in wide and will allow me to go up a size in the future if I want to.
I plan to add some stock hub caps as soon as I can find a decent set without having to take out a second mortgage.
So, gone is the ugly 20in Bling wheels, back to stock. Tires are new Ecopath AT's. Maybe someday the budget will allow for KO2's, but not today.

Reactions: Sparksalot and mkh

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I couldn't help but post this here. I went out last night and there was a great sunset over the Suburban.

Reactions: mkh

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Nice ride!

What balance beads are you using?
Daisy BB's. I have used them before and they work just like the commercial beads, you just have to put them in before you seat the bead. I have also used Air Soft pellets, but they are plastic and so you need a larger quantity to get the same weight. I used 3oz.
I used some commercial balance beads and they worked great, but I could not tell the difference between those and BB's.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Daisy BB's. I have used them before and they work just like the commercial beads, you just have to put them in before you seat the bead. I have also used Air Soft pellets, but they are plastic and so you need a larger quantity to get the same weight. I used 3oz.
I used some commercial balance beads and they worked great, but I could not tell the difference between those and BB's.
lol that's awesome. You used 3oz for a 33" tire? I have 33's and can't keep them balanced. Was thinking about trying balance beads.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I am not sure if they are 33in. They are 235/85-16. But yes, 3oz works great. If your tires are bigger, you could use 4-5oz. You really can’t use too much within reason. However unless it is a really big tire, I would not go beyond 8-10oz.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
We, I suppose Light and 90 Suburban don't belong together, but what I am going to build will not be crazy. I am not building a RTW live in truck, more weekend warrior to explore the country around me.
I had a 1985 Chevy K30 to tow my RV, but it had no room for the dogs once we hit the road. I loved it, but it did not work for me. I sold it and got this 1990 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4.
I bought this with only pictures off the internet. I had no time to go see it and the dealer was 250 miles away in Salem Or.
I knew what I wanted and was not finding it, so I asked the salesman to send me a picture of the RPO codes in the glove box. 88 of them, I sat and decoded every code and found out what this truck had.
It has 4:10 gears, a rear limited slip diff, tow package, 5.7L with a THM400 trans. Front and rear A/C, heavy duty radiator, alternator, oil and trans coolers, etc. It was perfect. I offered them $4300 if they would drive it to my house in Yakima Wa. They agreed.
Once the truck arrived I got a huge surprise. This truck has a brand new GM crate engine, new transmission, all new brakes including calipers, booster, master and linings. New starter, water pump, all belts and hoses, and new battery. I felt like I had won the lottery.
Yes, it is 30 years old, so it still needs a few things. I replaced the passenger window motor, need to install the heater core I just got. I got all 4 new door striker bolts and replaced the factory radio because only the right side channel worked.
Oh, and those terrible wheels and tires. My new tires arrive tomorrow and I still need to get some stock wheels. Those hideous things will go on Craigslist as soon as the others are mounted.

The plan is simple for this thing. I do not want to cut or hack it up, it will remain mostly original or made to return to original. I will be adding some kind of bed to the back, a winch and I already installed a large light bar on the front.
I have some solar panels and solar system that I would like to add to it. I want to find a roof rack, but have not seen anything yet that I like. I have over 400 watts in panels, a 40 amp Rover MPPT controller and 4 deep cycle batteries with a 200 watt pure sine inverter, but I will not put all of that on, most likely it will get about 150-200 watts and one or 2 batteries.
I need slightly more power as my wife and I are both on CPAP machines and they need to run all night. However, they can run on 12V, I have run mine off my bike with an extra battery.
I am afraid to get started the interior may be as simple as an air mattress, cooler, portable grill and a water jug. Once we get out there and get some time in it, we will know better what we want to do to build it out.
Looks like your a winner, my son recently built a 96 suburban with all new running gear on a perfect body. I call it the WAR wagon, it's awesome as I know yours will be as well.
Have fun !

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I got some more work done this weekend. I needed a roof rack and I found this stuff at Lowe's that works great. It is structural pipe. It is used to make hand rails, furniture, etc. I found the right parts to make a roof rack.
This allowed me to be able to move the spare tire to the roof and add my solar panel. I was then able to put the solar controller and battery in the spot the tire was in.
It is only a 100 watt panel and a single 840 CCA deep cycle battery, but it has a 40 amp MPPT controller. I have 3 more panels and 3 more batteries, but I don't think I need them in this build.
The tire holder is temporary, it was just square tube I had left from the carport. Once I get more of the structural pipe I will make something better, but I just needed something for now and it works.
The solar is to power my wife and I's CPAP machines.
Also, the battery is only showing 13.2V because the solar panel in in the shade of the carport. I have had it in the sun and it is working great.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I got some more work done this weekend. I needed a roof rack and I found this stuff at Lowe's that works great. It is structural pipe. It is used to make hand rails, furniture, etc. I found the right parts to make a roof rack.
This allowed me to be able to move the spare tire to the roof and add my solar panel. I was then able to put the solar controller and battery in the spot the tire was in.
It is only a 100 watt panel and a single 840 CCA deep cycle battery, but it has a 40 amp MPPT controller. I have 3 more panels and 3 more batteries, but I don't think I need them in this build.
The tire holder is temporary, it was just square tube I had left from the carport. Once I get more of the structural pipe I will make something better, but I just needed something for now and it works.
Also, the battery is only showing 13.2V because the solar panel in in the shade of the carport. I have had it in the sun and it is working great.

Looks good to me. I like how you took advantage of the wheel well. I'm doing something similar as soon as I get it built into my rear kitchen plan. I don't have a wheel well and I'll have to do something different for my interior inverter-charger panel but I have something in mind that will solve everything. (I hope)

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Yes, I need to update this. I built a platform for sleeping, cut out one rear door and made a fold down table with storage. Pulled off the solar and now have a dual battery system charge by the alternator and a new electrical panel with switches in the overhead console. I will try to update with pictures when I get back from Atlanta.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

very nice! It’s cool to have an older vehicle that can make judicious mods to.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

As I said, I have made a bunch of changes to the truck in the last few months, but have not posted them here due to time. Well, looks like I have some time due to our current crisis. I can't fly, so working at home.
Right now anything build out of wood is in a Beta testing form. Once I have perfected it and know it works like I want, it will get redone in high grade 3/4in Oak plywood. stained and treated.
Anyway. I build a platform for sleeping on. I wanted to do this so that I would have a place to put stuff under the the bed to store it. This also gets us off the cold metal floor and up onto a wood surface, way better in the winter. I designed it to fold. The middle seats in the Suburban fold down and I did not want to ruin this. I still may need to haul people in the truck and so I made it fold after the seat. I can fold it back and the seats pop up and work as original. I also made a fold up "Door" in the back to allow me to get things that are in the middle of the platform.
At the front of the platform where it meets the folded middle seats, I used some angle aluminum with holes in the platform and in the angle. I have pins that go in and hold it all together. This way if we move around at night, the platform will not fall down.

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

The next thing I changed was the rear door. Right now I have only done one, I may do the other also. The rear doors have a large unused space in them, I wanted to use it. I removed the door panel, cut out the sheet metal and built in some shelves. I think of this as my spice rack. I can put cooking stuff in there. I then made a table that folds down and hold the stove. Again, this table is going to be replaced with high quality wood, or maybe even a bamboo cutting board. I am still thinking about how I can make some more attractive stays to hold it straight when its down. I currently have it held up with rare earth magnets, but I may change that too. or add more.
I painted the inside of the spice rack with Plastidip. This will help with rattles.

Attachments