Aqueduct Lane, Chino Hills, CA 91709
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sandvik
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5LFE
Since it's never too late to start a build thread, I will. I purchased an 89 Blazer from my buddy 15 years ago as I've wanted one since i was 10. I started building it as an over-lander, enjoying the Mojave Trail and many day trips around Southern CA. I've increased the capability to become a balance between an overland vehicle and a rock crawler, enabling me to do just about anything with it. I just completed a 1000 mile trip to the Rubicon Trail and back - it was the first true test of the vehicle since it's last major modifications (one ton axle swap). It's an amazing rig, loaded down with camping, recovery gear and spare parts while being nimble and capable over large boulders on the trail.

Some of the major upgrades to #K54FUN!
Note: see a walk around of the rig on YouTube HERE, thanks to Merrick's Garage.
  • Dana 60 Front Axle w/ Chrome molly axles and Reid Racing knuckles (completely rebuilt from an 82 K30 Dually)
  • 14 bolt FF rear axle with a TMR Customs Shave Kit (completely rebuilt and modified from a 2003 Silverado 2500 HD)
  • 4:56 gears. Grizzly locker in the rear and Eaton ELocker up front
  • Cross over with high steer w/ hydro assist steering
  • Deaver Springs and Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks plus a Rock Jock anti sway bar in the rear
  • Slip Yoke eliminator and JE Reel custom drive shafts w/ rear pinion guard
  • Hydro boost braking system with PSC PS pump & components
  • Bumpers, Rock Sliders and many other components from DIY4X (Iowa)
  • Many other components from Off-road Design (Colorado)
  • Warn winch, ARB Fridge, Rigid and KC Lighting
  • Yaesu FTM-400 integrated with a Rugged Radio intercom (call: K5LFE)
Thanks for reading my post. I'll be making some upgrades for an upcoming trip to Colorado (Pueblo/Buena Vista) and hitting Moab on the way home in September (Full Sized Invasion event)

Be well, Carl

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

I like it. I like it a lot! Great job! I have always liked the 89 to 91 K5s and I often think about getting one. But, I could never build it as good as you have built yours.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I didn’t realize the K5 made it into the mid 90’s... way cool. I really like it, but then of corse I do. I drive a 89 FSB, and had a 78 RamCharger at one point in my life. But I really like the 60’s K5 and Broncos with full removable tops.

Reactions: Carl Sandvik

Carl Sandvik

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aqueduct Lane, Chino Hills, CA 91709
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sandvik
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5LFE
I didn’t realize the K5 made it into the mid 90’s... way cool. I really like it, but then of corse I do. I drive a 89 FSB, and had a 78 RamCharger at one point in my life. But I really like the 60’s K5 and Broncos with full removable tops.
Yeah, the K5 or square body went to 91 and then went to the OBS model as they are known with IFS front ends. I love the full convertibles too, hard to come by these days!!!

Reactions: Wallygator