Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Our 80 series Landcruiser project has matured. It is perfect and nothing is left to improve it. In order to stay out of trouble, I needed a new project and stumbled on a 1988 HJ75 Landcruiser Troopy. The vehicle has not been serviced well and needed serious work. The 2H diesel engine needs a rebuild, it has no breaks and the steering has a dead band of about 90 degrees. The body has serious rust and the interior is ripped and neglected. The electrical wiring was a night mare. Seemed like a perfect project.

6293A68A-934F-451F-A398-BEDABEA0CF55.JPG
IMG_6908.JPG
IMG_6831.JPG

I started also looking for a 1Hx engine with a manual 5 speed transmission. In a few days I found on eBay a JDM (which usually means low miles) 1HDT Toyota 4.2 liter diesel engine. It would be a perfect engine to replace the old 2H, but will require different engine brackets on the frame for the engine mounts. It also came with an automatic, which will be traded with a H151 5 speed manual.

IMG_6892.JPG

Compression numbers were around 440 psi on all cylinders so only the IP, injectors will be serviced as well as the bottom end bearings replaced. A new 12V starter will replace the 24V one, and a Terrain Tamer 120A alternator.

On our trip to Seattle 2 weeks ago we passed by Bend and picked an AluCab Hercules popup roof. We stopped at FitGarage and chatted with Alex. They are a bunch of really nice young guys that deal mostly with Troopies. Would be a great source of knowledge.

IMG_8656.jpg

After further inspection, I decided to do a body off restoration before building the camper.

so the work begins...

IMG_6926.JPG

Stay tuned...

Attachments

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Our 80 series Landcruiser project has matured. It is perfect and nothing is left to improve it. In order to stay out of trouble, I needed a new project and stumbled on a 1988 HJ75 Landcruiser Troopy. The vehicle has not been serviced well and needed serious work. The 2H diesel engine needs a rebuild, it has no breaks and the steering has a dead band of about 90 degrees. The body has serious rust and the interior is ripped and neglected. The electrical wiring was a night mare. Seemed like a perfect project.

View attachment 219910
View attachment 219912
View attachment 219913

I started also looking for a 1Hx engine with a manual 5 speed transmission. In a few days I found on eBay a JDM (which usually means low miles) 1HDT Toyota 4.2 liter diesel engine. It would be a perfect engine to replace the old 2H, but will require different engine brackets on the frame for the engine mounts. It also came with an automatic, which will be traded with a H151 5 speed manual.

View attachment 219911

Compression numbers were around 440 psi on all cylinders so only the IP, injectors will be serviced as well as the bottom end bearings replaced. A new 12V starter will replace the 24V one, and a Terrain Tamer 120A alternator.

On our trip to Seattle 2 weeks ago we passed by Bend and picked an AluCab Hercules popup roof. We stopped at FitGarage and chatted with Alex. They are a bunch of really nice young guys that deal mostly with Troopies. Would be a great source of knowledge.

View attachment 219914

After further inspection, I decided to do a body off restoration before building the camper.

so the work begins...

View attachment 219915

Stay tuned...
You got some stuff done after we left. ;-)

Reactions: Ob1

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Holy Overland Christmas to you! Wow, nice start to a EPIC build.
Subscribed.
Zim

EDIT; looks like someone hot wired the AC compressor (hi/low sensor maybe) At least it looks brand new. That's a stack of savings.

Reactions: Terrax and Ob1

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Holy Overland Christmas to you! Wow, nice start to a EPIC build.
Subscribed.
Zim

EDIT; looks like someone hot wired the AC compressor (hi/low sensor maybe) At least it looks brand new. That's a stack of savings.
Thanks! This 2H ‘package’ is being given away to a friend. He plans to rebuild/turbo and put it in a 60 series.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
So, had a few hours to spare and managed to get some progress. Engine is out, and body is stripped from everything outside. Body mounts are disconnected so I am trying to find a way to lift it and put it on a trailer to go to the body shop. A few little things attached on the inside... visors, etc.

Next is to fit the 1HDT engine with the body mounts. They were ordered from Japan and should come next week.

.IMG_6980 2.JPGIMG_6981.JPGIMG_7015.JPGIMG_7020 2.JPG66389778737__9384FF9A-276A-481F-A225-D5A6D3CF93A2.JPGIMG_7025.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Frame is ready for the new engine mounts. Once I settle the engine, Body goes to a shop for repair.

IMG_7029.JPGIMG_7033.JPGIMG_7031.JPG

Reactions: MazeVX

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Frame body mounts came in today from Japan. We placed them with blue painters tape. Maybe add some epoxy to make it stronger....

This weekend will put the 1HDT in place and actually locate them in the exact location to leave 20mm space to the firewall and 3 degrees nose up.

IMG_7045.jpg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Today we located the frame engine mounts. Took a while because the driver side is not a 70 series mount so needed a spacer under in order to set the engine level. It's hard to commit, so only tack welded. Left less then 1" between the firewall and the engine. Waiting for the H151 transmission so we can work on the cross member location. We will set the engine with 3 degrees nose up.

Stay tuned...

IMG_7070.JPGIMG_7072.JPGIMG_7075.JPGIMG_7076.JPGIMG_7080.JPG

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Love special tools. Not sure anyone would notice a offset pipe wrench except me. Lmao

You appear to have some great fab skills. I'm loving the progress. I'd like to build my bumper about now but I priced a 4x8 sheet of 3/16" and it was $408. Ah, NO!!!!
LOL. I've got a secret guy for steel and I think I can put the squeeze on him.
Nice work Sir, I'm following along
Zim

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Some engine work this weekend. Bottom End Bearings were replaced. Oil pan is going to the paint shop for BK208 black powder coating. The bearings were not seriously worn. Good news I guess. It is so easy when the engine is up side down. You only hope not to drop something in and forget about it....

This week I am suppose to get the H151 rebuilt transmission and transfer case. Drivetrain is going back in to 'fix' the body hump so the shifters are exposed. Once this is done the body will go to the body/paint shop and I can work on the frame. Plan is to replace the front end with a 79 series coil spring suspension.

IMG_7173.JPGIMG_7174.JPG

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Frame body mounts came in today from Japan. We placed them with blue painters tape. Maybe add some epoxy to make it stronger....

This weekend will put the 1HDT in place and actually locate them in the exact location to leave 20mm space to the firewall and 3 degrees nose up.

View attachment 220938
I found tin foil works good too especially when it's scrunched up and folded over...lmao
Zim

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Another great build to follow! :sunglasses:
Will take a while. Need to bring the rig to 'spec' and only then build the camper. Should not take very long the last part because I already know roughly what we want. Be similar to the 80, but with an hydronic heater for space and water, and probably a diesel stove. Backup small propane for frying outside.