Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Picked up yesterday a refreshed H151 5 speed from Valley Hybrids in Stockton after a spa and massage (synchros, bearings and the works). Thanks Georg!!! I won the lottery having friends like this! Borrowed a TC as a mockup to install on the frame. Meanwhile Valley Hybrids are rebuilding mine with an Over Drive and part time. This weekend we shall see how it fits under the body. Probably some metal work on the cross member. and the transmission hump.

side note...
So, the car originally came from Nicaragua. The engine is a JDM so came from Japan (HDJ80 Landcruiser), but it came with an automatic transmission. I traded it with a friend for the H151 that came from the UK. That included flywheel, bellhouseing and clutch. Most parts are sources from U.A.E, so it will be an international merge for parts.

It does fit in the back of an old Prius.... It felt like carrying two more passengers.

IMG_7180.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Todays progress was figuring out the drivetrain fit in the frame and body. I marked on the hump how much metal to remove. TC could not fit because the fuel tank is in the way. It will have to move back a few inches. Also found that the cross bar needs to be cut and moved back. Probably hang the fuel tank off the frame instead of hanging from to he body.

The cross member that supports the transmission also needs to move back with the flange that is welded to the frame. That’s going to be fun.

Injectors and IP are headed to the shop for service.

The body is ready to go to the paint shop. Can’t wait to see how it comes back.

42F64CC8-54EA-422D-A39B-423936E1A121.jpeg10AF016B-0533-4491-B598-8A05E53CCDC5.jpeg23725C46-A34B-44D5-AA56-AC2317A1B2D4.jpegAD831CC3-8F38-4C2C-AC99-3790BD0A2C28.jpeg3A8CDAD9-D84D-4C32-A800-A22BEC614291.jpeg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Cut the hump to accommodate for the shifters that moved back because of the longer 5 speed.

Also came today from Grass Valley. Picked up front and rear 4x4Labs bumper kits. Some assembly required!

IMG_7211 2.JPGIMG_7212.JPGIMG_7217.JPG

Reactions: MazeVX and MSD

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
I managed to remove the rear bumper. Who in the right mind would WELD the bumper to the frame. To remove welded parts from the frame I cut it off about 1” away from the weld, then score it with a cutting wheel 1/8” from the weld and pry it off bending back and forth. After that I used a sanding disk to remove the access material so the frame of flush.

I was hoping to save the rear bumper so someone else can use it, but had to butcher it not to damage the frame.

next is building the 4x4lab rear bumper kit.

BA349D68-47AE-4220-9523-C629335989D3.jpeg065BAE3D-9FFF-43A5-A46D-1497D926953A.jpeg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Hey guys. In Death Valley working with the rangers and Overland Bound bordering the race track so people will not drive over. Currently sunset over Lippincott with spotty network. Will be back on line early next week.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Spent the weekend in Death Valley with the 80. Coming back, it's like Christmas. Body is coming off the frame in a couple of weeks.

IMG_7409.JPG

Reactions: MazeVX

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Got today from Indonesia(!!) a more modern instrument cluster with a tach. Was worried about the connection in the back but it uses the same plugs as the original. I'll just have to populate the extra pins. The new cluster has also the diff lock and a few LEDs for 'turbo', engine paint, etc. I'll be rewiring them for 'water in the filter', 'pre-heat' and maybe one spare.

IMG_7417.JPGIMG_7418.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: GLOCKer

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Seats are back from the shop. Gray leather with seat warmers. For the next few months they will be seats in the living room...
IMG_7421.JPG

Reactions: MSD and GLOCKer

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Today I worked on the rear bumper. Started to assemble and in no time we burned away all the day light. Amazing how quickly time goes by when you are having fun.

Ah, yes also helping a friend baselining a 1HDFT so we can install it in a 80 series Lexus. It’s coming up really nice.

3863B515-A0FC-42B5-B49E-97644B2BFE8C.jpeg8A07A2FC-CD7B-48E1-AC96-CA6A1280BBC0.jpeg83EDDFD0-4A76-40FC-9636-76D281C54CF3.jpeg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Made it to Flagstaff leaving at 4AM and getting there at 7PM. Kelly Saad from Landcruisergrills will do the body work. He will also create a metal grill for the troopy.

The IP and injectors came in from the shop in Portland. They look new. Keil and Mark did a magnificent job. I've been using this shop for a while. Their price are very reasonable and the work is professional.

IMG_7552.JPGIMG_7554.JPGIMG_7545.JPGIMG_7544.JPGIMG_7569.JPG

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Juggling parts of one vehicle. FLYBOX, the diesel 60 has been working hard this week. Managed to tow the frame with a dolley back to our shop. Uhaul asked what vehicle I am towing. I said Prius, and it was too big. Then I tried Yaris and it worked. They even asked the color - WHITE!

I can start modifying the frame for the drivetrain. Once done I'll deal with the suspension coil swap.

Also today did a vehicle registration in Arizona. We own property there. California does not want our money I guess. They will not register this vehicle.
IMG_7580.JPGIMG_7583.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
A bit of progress this weekend. Finished the engine except the flywheel. Installed the IP and injectors as well as the exhaust manifold.

For now mounted the tranny so the cross member on the frame can be placed. Removed the gussets on th outside of the frame (very carefully so they can be reused). The cross member has to be moved back a bit more then 13" but the frame widens toward the back. I would like to reuse it, so I'll weld 2 1/8" plates on the edges to widen it and drill 4 x 10 mm holes on each side to attach to the gussets at the new location. You never know, until you try it...

67053890091__F5728DDF-8BF2-408B-8713-2350D06AF190.jpgIMG_7681.JPGIMG_7684.JPGIMG_7705.JPGIMG_7706.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Ended up getting a 1/4" thick steel plate ($13.45). I guess price of steel tripled since last year... This will extend the cross member and allow me to use the gussets in the new location. Sand blaster is not working this week so I used the wire brush to clean the weld spots.

IMG_7709.JPGIMG_7713.JPGIMG_7717.JPGIMG_7722.JPGIMG_7720.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Stop in Redding and met Jason at Trail Tailor to pick up some combo speed sensor. They provide both mechanical and electrical outputs. The reason is that the speedo in the troopy is mechanical but I plan to use the 80 series cruise control system that will require the electrical output.

I also stopped in Bend and picked up from Alex at Fitgarage a set of new windows. The one behind the passenger will be a Gullwing because we will have a cabinet all the way to the ceiling with access from inside and outside.

Also in Bend picked up high build primer that is not sold in California (and no sales tax!!!!!!!). Still $700 for a gallon kit.

Also picked up from Valley Hybrids the rebuilt transfer case. Georg waves his magic wand and the parts becomes new.

IMG_7738.JPGIMG_7729.JPG67113957388__3AD56820-F81E-4FD5-B3F9-413574E63CEE.JPGIMG_7796.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GLOCKer

Pdxtroopy

Rank III

Contributor II

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Karri
Last Name
Barrow
Member #

Picked up yesterday a refreshed H151 5 speed from Valley Hybrids in Stockton after a spa and massage (synchros, bearings and the works). Thanks Georg!!! I won the lottery having friends like this! Borrowed a TC as a mockup to install on the frame. Meanwhile Valley Hybrids are rebuilding mine with an Over Drive and part time. This weekend we shall see how it fits under the body. Probably some metal work on the cross member. and the transmission hump.

side note...
So, the car originally came from Nicaragua. The engine is a JDM so came from Japan (HDJ80 Landcruiser), but it came with an automatic transmission. I traded it with a friend for the H151 that came from the UK. That included flywheel, bellhouseing and clutch. Most parts are sources from U.A.E, so it will be an international merge for parts.

It does fit in the back of an old Prius.... It felt like carrying two more passengers.

View attachment 222747
NICE! ours is also from Nicaragua.

Reactions: Ob1