1987 runner build up

• HTML tutorial

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hey all. Ill write more about this thing later, as im about to go into work. But im too excited not to start participating in this forum.

1987 four runner
Rebuilt 22re
150k on body
Lowrange offroad aluminum rad
Lowrange offroad rock crawling camshaft
Heavy duty timing chain kit with steel guide rails.
Simple stuff like that.
Silicone radiator, new clutch hoses blah blah blah
Optima redtop
15x10 american racing hurricane rims
33x12.5" kelly safari tires
Bushwacker fender flares
Ball joint,diff,and sway bar spacers
Old man emu 2"rear lift.
Storage box in the back with spare mount
Probably a bunch of other little things i cant remember.

Addicted offroad bumper ordered and halfway through 6 week lead time at the moment. Have an old warn m8000 motor over that will be installed with it.

Next major mod will be 488 gears to deal with these 33's comfortably.

Last edited:

rixham

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ
Hey all. Ill write more about this thing later, as im about to go into work. But im too excited not to start participating in this forum.

1987 four runner
Rebuilt 22re
150k on body
Lowrange offroad aluminum rad
Lowrange offroad rock crawling camshaft
Heavy duty timing chain kit with steel guide rails.
Simple stuff like that.
Silicone radiator, new clutch hoses blah blah blah
Optima redtop
15x10 american racing hurricane rims
33x12.5" kelly safari tires
Bushwacker fender flares
Ball joint,diff,and sway bar spacers
Old man emu 2"rear lift.
Storage box in the back with spare mount
Probably a bunch of other little things i cant remember.

Addicted offroad bumper ordered and halfway through 6 week lead time at the moment. Have an old warn m8000 motor over that will be installed with it.

Next major mod will be 488 gears to deal with these 33's comfortably.

I have always had a love affair with the 1st Gens... Someday I will start the search for one.

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ok, I'm in love. That is a very very nice Runner. I like the old school aftermarket wheels on that bad boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
Thanks man! Trying to keep it relitively vintage with the old american racing rims and the old warn winch.

Did a few odds and ends this week, replaced the torn ratty shift boot with something more happy. Patched the tears in the seats with some perfectly ugly patches. Also had a little fun and Hooked up these l.e.d light bars that i got for free off a jobsite at work. Its a little fast and furious but im going wheeling tonight and should be fun to see how it lights up the terrain.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

So ive been having a problem with my battery staying in its spot. No matter what i do it seems to wiggle out and fall onto the a/c pully and ripping all the wires out of their places.

So i finally just bought a case for it. If this doesnt work then idk what will.

I installed it but it was to large and wouldnt fit with the windshield washer fluid resovoir.

So i cut it in half

And i found some donor plastic for the box from a set of road triangles.

So i cut a piece and epoxied it in. And now i have a rugged battery AND fluid.

Thats why i love my old stuff. Cut it up. Make it work. Just so easy to get it done. Whatever it is.

Reactions: Byron Eby

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Just gave this navel jelly a shot. Did a little test spot.. Wasnt expecting much.

Before

After

That Was one application and light scrubbing. Im incredibly impressed on how well they cleaned up. Definetly going to have to set aside a day to really scrub these things down.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lost the timing chain in the motor on friday and put a new motor in over the weekend.

Its going great now. Two new front axels, all the balljoints and tierods. Will have the auto hubs switched to manuals by the weekend.

Got a bunch of metal to start a roofrack frame. Hopefully have it done enough to carry some gear for this overlanding trip coming up in may. Doing the east coast of maine all the way up and along st. Johns river. Bout 5/600 miles on dirt roads im told. Hopefully ill get some good pics out of it at least.

Still waiting on bumper though. Its coming together. Just needed to get this maintenance stuff out of the way.

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Shop finally fixed their mistake and now i have some new warn locking hubs. Ill probably switch them out for aisin. But its always nice to have new parts.

Also still waiting on the addicted offroad bumper. Painted the new winch cover to try to kill some time.

Also got the cb in and wired up.

Rc esque antenna completes the look

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Started mocking up this roof rack today. Made it mount to existing holes that cap mounts too. Way overbuilt but.. I dont mind that.

I really hate the way roof racks look but its going to be super functional so i cant complain.

Cant wait to keep adding on and modifying. Its gunna be sweet.

Gotta finish everything and plate the joints and add some gussets this weekend and then paint it. But its sturdy and will effectively function as a bit of an exoskeleton i think.

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I got this light bar for free at work, pulled it out of the dumpster. I made some mounts for it and ill hook it up to the deck lamp switch so i can actually see behind when backing up during night wheeling. Or just light up the rear for hanging out. I think itll come in handy. Not bad for free.

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I finally got my bumper from addicted offroad. I put it on with a couple loose bolts and threw the winch in just to see how it would look. This winch mounts differently than most so the mounts didnt line up. Which i expected.

Unfortunately its also way too big though and i had to remove the grill, hood support, and leave the hood open just to set it in there.

So i cut up the bumper

And welded in my winch mount, spaced as forward as i dared. Hopefully it will clear something. Ill check today.

I also got a bunch of goodies. Jdm turn signals, a few hilux surf badges (im still looking for the door pillar ones), some stainless steel window visors, and i put on a bald set of bajas to give my safaris a break from the pavement.

Next update will almost look like a finished product.

Paint for the front end will be here in 2 days

The roof rack is finish welded and painted.

I ordered a cheap vinyl mockup tarp for the roof tent im making. Eventually when its all finalized i will order some waterproof canvas.

Im going camping next week in maine with this things with a few other trucks. Doing the east coast of maine all the way up. Supposed to be like 500 miles on dirt roads im told. Im excited to see how it goes.

Reactions: Byron Eby

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Got the bumper all fi ished and mounted up and the winch fits well now

Did a little celebratory exploring around the valley

Then i went and put my roof rack back on, and put on some cedar decking. Light strong cheap and relatively long lasting.

Should have the tent situated soon.