1987 Jeep Cherokee trailer build.

• HTML tutorial

OLDgrey85

Rank 0

Traveler I

First time the wife and i went camping i realized i did not like have my 4runner as a base camp due to having an ARB awning and awning room. So i started looking into trailer. Only to be shocked by the price for something i felt i could build. A few weeks later my buddy asked me if i wanted to buy his Jeep cherokee for $200 i only paid $100. It does not run and he needs to get it off of base. So i did my research, talked to the wife. Then i talked some to the wife some more. Finlly got the ok so i jumped on it.

So the plan is to cut the front end off and box it in just inside the cab before the firewall. Slide some 2x3 tubing in the unibody and bolt it in three different places. Then weld some plate to the unibody. Next is the trailer tongue with a rock n roll hitch or max coupler. If you have any advice on the two please let me know.

Build a custom roof rack for the kayaks and the awning. Seeing how the awning is the reason why this project is happening. Have a divider separating the front from the rear. The front will have a storage for wood and out bedding. The rear will be the fridge and cook stove and storage for the rest of our gear.

Today we got the jeep to the house and and pulled the motor. We pulled the motor for my buddy who paid the other half of the $200. He will be rebuilding it and putting it in his jeep. We also got the interior out. I will be getting the front end off this week and removing the front of the frame. Here a few pictures from today and i will post pictures as i go. I just hope this thing goes like i have it in my head.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app

Attachments

Reactions: W4P

OLDgrey85

Rank 0

Traveler I

So i got the front alxe/suspension out today. Went alot quicker then i was thinking. Going to save the front shocks and move them to the rear and have 4 shocks. The shocks only have about 200 miles before the jeep stopped running. More to come in a few days.

OLDgrey85

Rank 0

Traveler I

Woke up earlier then i wanted to so i had some time to kill. I Cut the front end off just forward of the firewall. The firewall will eventually get removed just not yet. Dont want to open it up to the weather or animals. Next i will be opening up the unibody to figure out what size tubing will slide in. Then off to skagit steel next thursday.

Reactions: The other Sean

OLDgrey85

Rank 0

Traveler I

I hate when posts end not knowing what happend or being left to wonder. No new progess on the trailer besides a name. I shall call it the Jeeper. But i did however get the opportunity to use my buddies shop. So i took advantage and started my rear tire carrier. Going to walker valley in a few days before i take off for work so i needed my bumper back on. I had to take it off to make all the measurements. Here is the progress. I will be ordering all the metal whenni get back and start back up.