1985 Vanagon Westfalia, 0-60 In 11 Minutes

• HTML tutorial

0to60in11minutes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Near Boston MA
Member #

Been crushing miles last winter. Have had two small setbacks, one was a wheelbearing/hub failure and now its been down for about a week with a no start situation.

The 2wd vans have the speedo cable running off the drivers side wheel hub. The cable runs through the hub and the end locks into the grease cap with a circlip. The entry point on the back of the hub has a grommet. My grommet had worked up the cable and let in all sorts of sand and salt/water. I rotated my tires a week before I had a complete bearing failure and there was no play in the hub at the time. The hub was filled with sand and the bearings were shot.

Wheel hub

Then I had a no start situation, starter would crank and motor would turn over. I had compression fuel and spark but not start. Motor would bump start but then die. After replacing and testing everything engine wise I pulled my starter apart. It was filled with sand and rusted to all hell. This starter was new as of last summer. Putting everything back together now and hopefully this will be the cure to the no start.

0to60in11minutes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Near Boston MA
Member #

Newest subaru motor... Subaru motor #6 in 4.5 years Last motor jumped timing after getting rearended by someone trying to parallel park... The person who did the last timing belt job before I got that motor neglected to reinstall the timing belt guide to keep the belt from slipping.

A whole lot got done in early August, I stripped the interior to reinsulate everything. Lizard skin, paint, fatmat, then poly iso panels cut to fit and filled all the body panels. No more highway drone and at 80mph I can now have a conversation and hear, the stereo also doesn't need to be cranked anymore.

Lizard skinned the underside of the dash then fatmatted.

Then we did this. 3500 miles in 4 days

0to60in11minutes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Near Boston MA
Member #

Been digging the Nemo Equipment Helio shower. Never liked the idea of the roadshower setups on roof racks etc, more weight higher up isn't something I want. I can use the espar D2 to warm the water up in short amount of time if I want a hot shower.

Also great for cleaning up muddy dogs