Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I really love this one. Looks really nice. And with that Pop Up Roof, you have so much space. Really good.

Thumbs up.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Thanks all! Not much to see on the interior just yet; been focused on functionality and reliability in the first phase of the build.

Here's a video of the pop-top going up:

https://vimeo.com/93109033

My attention has been on the 4Runner lately but I'm hoping to start phase two of the build soon and get the living quarters designed and built.

Reactions: ABCanuck

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

That's gorgeous!! One of my all time favourite 4WDs.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Glad you all like it! Get's me motivated to do more to it!

Here's a few more pictures:

Just replaced the leaking clutch master cylinder this weekend so it's finally getting some much needed love. Next on the list is to repair the fiberglass pop-top where I tried to fit it in the garage with it up... still hear that sickening crunch. :worried: Thankfully it didn't hurt it too bad. I'm going to put an entire extra layer over the whole top since it's very flimsy (actually what saved it from total destruction) and I doubt it would stand up to a NM hail storm very well as-is.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@4running Thanks! I've got a whole bunch of new shots of the 4Runner I need to upload. Unfortunately our internet speed is determined by some telegraph operator in BFE, NM so I'm limited to what I can get uploaded lately... I will let you know as soon as I can get them up.

In other news; Mr. Overland Bound @administrator tagged me in a post by Trakka on instagram where they had found a picture of the beast and posted it. Long story short, that put me in contact with one of the owner's sons at Trakka who has been extremely excited to find one of their units in the US. He is currently working with one of their design engineers to help find blueprints (or develop blueprints) for a new canvas portion of the top. He is also sending me some Trakka decals to put on the Beast! So, thanks for tagging me Michael!

I'm doing my best to talk them into setting up a US division and start cranking out these pop-tops for FJ40's, FJ45's, FJ60's, and FJ80's. Maybe if we got enough interest we could convince them to do it!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@4running @stringtwelve

After seeing it in person, I can say the 4Runner is badass as well!

Keep us posted on Trakka. It's a great story, and hopefully you can get your canvas!

M

4running

Rank 0

Traveler I

I know a bit about how broadband can be in rural NM, frustrating i'm sure. Looking forward to the pics!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

16700 said:
StringTwelve wrote:
Yes, a feature article would be awesome for this Hummer! I’m going to need another 6-12 months before I’m ready to show mine off
. I can tell you the primary outcome of your meeting with ruisershirts = 37s 😉 Need to get him on these forums! What tire size are you running now? Looking forward to more @stringtwelve M
@administrator

(Thought I'd move this conversation over... don't wanna hi-jack the Hummer thread.)

I don't know if I could go to 37's, although they are wicked cool! I would have to go back to 4.10's instead of 3.73's! I'm currently running 285/70's which are really close to 33's. It cruises at 80MPH @ 2000RPM with the 5-speed which is just right.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see Cruiser Shirt's rig in person! You should come on up to Ouray around July 9th and hang with us!

In other news... I repaired the rat damage and have been driving the Beast every other day. (Check out Instagram feed) I had originally planned to take my time on the build out and do all the work myself, but with work and trying to get busy on my degree I'm not going to have enough time so we are considering hiring it out... so stay tuned.

Reactions: SLO Rob

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

No new work updates on the Beast since we've been working on our camper non-stop for the past two months.
I'm ready to get this guy back on the trail though...

Reactions: SLO Rob