Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hey all, Its been a while. I finally got around to mocking up the engine cross member and got it installed in the rig. Here are some pics of that process.

Started by making the plates that mounted to the engine.
IMG_3554.jpeg

Then I set the engine angle and getting the cross member as close to level as possible. Was targeting about 3 degrees of angle down in the rear.
IMG_3560.jpeg

IMG_3559.jpeg

Then I cut some 2"x3"x1/4" steel and fish-mouthed them.
IMG_3556.jpeg

IMG_3558.jpeg

Put them where I needed them and tacked them in.
IMG_3562.jpeg
And this is where I ended up on Friday. Planned to most of the welding on Saturday morning once I got jacked up on coffee so I would have something to blame the rough welds on! :yum:
IMG_3565.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Got up Saturday as planned and consumed a pot of coffee. Jitters in full effect! Perfect!!

This part actually took me about 6 hours. Getting it centered and zeroed with the frame was a bit challenging. ended up placing it about 1" forward of where I wanted due to the curve of the frame. Will still leave me about 6" to the rad core support.
E0DE8011-DF0C-4E1A-ADCA-E4FD62D647B7.jpg

4406FEF1-F1DF-4BF7-AB86-A59CB7FC94ED.jpg

IMG_3578.jpeg

Once I test fit the engine I will finish weld the mounts. Left them tacked just incase I needed to adjust the height
I still need to make some filler pieces for the bottom side. Just ran out of gas.
IMG_3583.jpeg
IMG_3585.jpeg

Attachments

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I love a Binder build as much as I love a manual transmission swap. This is delivering both in high doses, with a side-serving of really great metalwork. Thank you for sharing your project.
Thanks Wildcat! I really hope I motivate others to take on challenges and maybe learn a new skill. Granted I’m a welder by trade but I still had to learn it.
Glad you are enjoying the story. I can’t wait to row this thing into gear and run her down a dirt road!

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I'm floored by how clean that Binder is. Normally the tin worms eat those old Internationals up, but this thing just has surface rust in the usual places. That's a score!
It is in real good shape. The floors were patched at some point. not the way I would have done it but it works. Also, there is some rust bubbling through on the driver front fender near the bottom which is pretty normal. I will cut that out down the road once I get it driving.

Reactions: Wildcat-01

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
It is in real good shape. The floors were patched at some point. not the way I would have done it but it works. Also, there is some rust bubbling through on the driver front fender near the bottom which is pretty normal. I will cut that out down the road once I get it driving.
Sounds like the usual rot in the typical places. Not bad.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Some say, "Why does it take so long to build a rig?" Well, it's the little things, like waiting a week for the proper bolts! I ordered what I thought were the correct bell housing bolts, only to learn the some NV4500's were a 3/8"x16 and some were an M12x1.75. So, I had to wait another week for the right bolts.
IMG_3769.jpeg
I also got the internal slave cylinder and the clutch bolts.
IMG_3770.jpeg
And the clutch pieces,
72133186730__AB369FCE-B138-4D92-96CA-49EB5A63850B.jpeg
I also had to order the shift tower. I wasn't able to find a GM NV4500 short throw kit but still looking.
IMG_3768.jpeg

Reactions: PCO6

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Thanks Buddy! I am trying to! Just so much going on. Look at me already making excuses!
I realize that I need to buckle down. Maybe I need to expand the team!

Reactions: shortbus4x4