'17 JKU Rubicon "Mobile Kitchen" Build

• HTML tutorial

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

Just purchased a new JKU Rubicon that I'm converting to an overland camp kitchen "chuck wagon" vehicle. Being a foodie and amateur cook, it seemed fitting for me.

A few weeks ago I installed some trail essential parts such as a AFE Power MACH Force-XP 3" exhaust, part# 49-46220, and AFE Power Pro DRY S air filter, part# 31-10155. Noticeable power and response. Definitely turns heads with the exhaust. Rubicon Express oil pan skid plate, RE 1.75" leveling kit, and RE steering stabilizer also installed. The steering stabilizer definitely took that stock "wiggle" in the steering wheel away. Nice and firm turning now. Just waiting on my ARB diff covers and pretty much the undercarriage is complete (for now).

In the process of looking at DIY drawer and slider designs. Just can't seem to throw the $$$$$ at drawer/slider kits. Especially since I'm trying to convert the cargo/tailgate area to be a mobile camp kitchen. I think something custom and DIY is in order.

So far, this is my build. I'll keep posting pictures as I go. If you have any comments, questions, critiques, or suggestions, I'M ALL EARS!! Cheers!!

KIMG1756.jpg

Last edited:

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Just purchased a new JKU Rubicon that I'm converting to an overland camp kitchen vehicle. Being a foodie and amateur cook, it seemed fitting for me.

A few weeks ago I installed some trail essential parts such as a AFE Power MACH Force-XP 3" exhaust, part# 49-46220, and AFE Power Pro DRY S air filter, part# 31-10155. Noticeable power and response. Definitely turns heads with the exhaust. Rubicon Express oil pan skid plate, RE 1.75" leveling kit, and RE steering stabilizer also installed. The steering stabilizer definitely took that stock "wiggle" in the steering wheel away. Nice and firm turning now. Just waiting on my ARB diff covers and pretty much the undercarriage is complete (for now).

In the process of looking at DIY drawer and slider designs. Just can't seem to throw the $$$$$ at drawer/slider kits. Especially since I'm trying to convert the cargo/tailgate area to be a mobile camp kitchen. I think something custom and DIY is in order.

So far, this is my build. I'll keep posting pictures as I go. If you have any comments, questions, critiques, or suggestions, I'M ALL EARS!! I'm new to the "Overland World," so I'm here to listen and learn. Cheers!!

View attachment 32928
Nice new wheels lucky chef! Check out Drifta 4wd in Australia. Phenomenal systems. Reason telling you is they use Teflon strips on drawers and boxes. Works great and obviously is super cheap compared to metal slides. Obviously works if you check out YouTube videos. I have even emailed. Very approachable. Good luck,great eating!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daniel Diaz

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

Nice new wheels lucky chef! Check out Drifta 4wd in Australia. Phenomenal systems. Reason telling you is they use Teflon strips on drawers and boxes. Works great and obviously is super cheap compared to metal slides. Obviously works if you check out YouTube videos. I have even emailed. Very approachable. Good luck,great eating!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Thanks W4P!! Never heard of Drifta 4x4 until now. I definitely already see some parts that I'm highly considering!! Looks like great stuff too. Thank you and cheers!!

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Nice start to the build man. I recently put an RE 2.5" lift on my JKU, really happy with it so far. Looing forward to your build.

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX and Jimmy P

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I need to start putting together ideas for a rear galley in my jeep, so i'm looking forward to following your progress!

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

Reactions: Jimmy P