Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
I thought I would introduce myself here with a build thread of my new to me Silverado.
It's a 15 CCSB High Country with the 6.2l.
I picked it up in February of this year after my 14 got totaled from a severe rear ending. It was the same color had the same topper and ridgid ditch lights, as well as a decked system that was destroyed in the crash. The old one was an ltz with the 5.3l and had a 2.5 inch level with a 1.5 inch body lift on 33x20 duratracs.

The new one I decided I wanted to go 35's especially since the 6.2 has plenty of power to get it around. To get the 35's to clear with out rubbing at full lock or off camber situations a full 6 inch suspension lift is pretty much required despite what others say about so cal mods and such it's just asking for a cut tire. Anyway I got a zone offroad/BDS 6 inch lift, I don't mean to say that they are the same company I mean to say that I got parts from both kits. I got the basic zone kit and then I added leaf springs, front struts (without giant spacers), and skid plates from BDS.

I went with method racing 18x9 wheels with the highest offset that would fit and 35x11.5 duratracs ro try to keep the front wheels inside the fenders as much as possible. I hate the bro truck look and don't like rock chips too much either.

For coms I have a kenwood tm-d710g mounted just to the left of the center console with the antenna going through the center of my ARE topper.(no plans for a RTT) I also wired up a generic spod type relay switch deal up beside the a pillar for ditch lights and future lights and possibly lockers.

Right now I have a wilco offroad hitchgate offset ordered since the spare wont fit under the truck anymore. I am also working on an internal rack system inside the topper that will hold axe, shovel, maxtrax, spectre Jerry cans, water jug and 5lb propane cyl. As well as 2 flood lights pointing out each windoor and strip lights inside the topper wired to a second battery running off a ctek250 solar panels and an arb fridge are in the future as well as removing the back seats and building a shelving unit and bed for my 4 legged friend.

Sorry for the long winded post here are the pics.

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
20180608_182732.jpg Took the truck and some buddies out to the San Juan's checked out the alpine loop and clear lake north of mineral springs camp site.
I did find out I need better storage solutions and also some dust proof containers.

20180609_183502.jpg 20180609_111342.jpg 20180609_111335.jpg

Last edited:

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
Got the back seats out now need to find some carpet to match. 20180715_185103.jpg 20180715_185053.jpg

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
Got the floor of the back seat carpeted. I'm not too good at carpet, but I think it came out ok.
20180721_180152.jpg 20180721_180128.jpg

Reactions: Mekcanix

Northlandmatt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boston
First Name
Matt
Last Name
DeMore
Member #

Hey Ajwcotton, I am really enjoying the progress on your build. Keep up the good work!

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
Hitchgate came in today and I got it mounted up. Pretty simple install, took 20 minutes tops. Seems pretty sturdy so far. Leaving tomorrow for a 2 week trip to yellowstone, glacier and the black hills.
20180723_172809.jpg 20180723_171459.jpg

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
It has a wedge that goes in the receiver hitch when you tighten the mount bolt from the rear of the vehicle it locks the wedge in the receiver hitch. I only wish it held the tire a little closer to the tailgate. I only put it on for trips. If I'm going to be in town and not hauling stuff around I just leave the tire in the bed.

Reactions: OnMyWaypoint

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
After my trip I have decided the next mod is for sure going to be a fridge. Replacing ice and having soggy food is a pain in the ass. its not bad for a weekend when the ice doesn't melt much and get soggy, but when you are 5 days into a trip and running nasty rough roads nothing in the cooler is safe.

Reactions: OnMyWaypoint

OnMyWaypoint

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Union City, California 94587, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Calub
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WE6ABC
Thanks for the Wilco Hitch info. It is really nice to be able to remove it if needed.

I hear you on the fridge. Soggy sandwiches suck! LOL

I just sold my soft and hard Yeti coolers to help fund my new Arb 50Qt fridge. It just arrived yesterday. This weekend, I hope to get my dual battery setup installed along with the wiring for the Arb fridge. I'm planning on mounting the fridge behind the driver seat. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount a fridge slide but that will have to wait.

Thanks again for the info on the hitch.

After my trip I have decided the next mod is for sure going to be a fridge. Replacing ice and having soggy food is a pain in the ass. its not bad for a weekend when the ice doesn't melt much and get soggy, but when you are 5 days into a trip and running nasty rough roads nothing in the cooler is safe.

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
my cooler is behind the driver seat. I didn't think it was too bad getting into it without a slide. I could stand on my running boards and get in there fine. in fact with my truck as high as it is if it was on a slide it would be too high to get into since I wouldn't be able to stand on the running boards.