Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Looking for recommendations on what type of wheels to buy. I want to get 15” wheels not sure if I should go to steel or aluminum. I like the American Racing Wheel. I have BFG M/T tires now. Thinking of switching to A/T which I had on my pickups. What size tire would be good. I want to stay skinny but I would like to be 32 or 33” with no trimming.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Why do you want to go with 15" over 16" or 17"? I still run 15's on my Willys and tires are getting hard to find, there are a ton of 16 and 17" tires out there and probably will be for quite a while.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I currently have 17” wheels. I was thinking it would be good to go with a smaller tire because of weight.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I currently have 17” wheels. I was thinking it would be good to go with a smaller tire because of weight.
Other than inner diameter the wheel has nothing to do with the tire size. You can use your 17" wheels and get a smaller diameter tire easier and cheaper than buying both wheels and tires.

Unless you're going from something like a 37 12.5 17 to a 30 9.50 15 I don't think you'll lose much weight.

What size are you running on your Jeep now?

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I have found from experience that steel wheels are far more forgiving on hard impacts than aluminum. On many occasions I have had to "straighten" steel wheels with a hammer after trail damage. Whch is unlikely with aluminum. So if your drivng hard or on hard trails you might keep that in mind.
Some other minor benefits you may consider are more weight at the lowest part of the vehicle, and increased distance between tire and rim if you were running the same diameter tire.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Other than inner diameter the wheel has nothing to do with the tire size. You can use your 17" wheels and get a smaller diameter tire easier and cheaper than buying both wheels and tires.

Unless you're going from something like a 37 12.5 17 to a 30 9.50 15 I don't think you'll lose much weight.

What size are you running on your Jeep now?
I’m currently running 255/75/17. I don’t expect to do any hardcore wheeling but that is a good idea about being able to bang the wheel back into place.

Mike331

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Diamond Springs Ca
First Name
Mike
Last Name
P
Member #

I think that as far as an aluminum alloy wheel goes, it's going to depend on how the wheel is constructed. Inexpensive alloy wheels are typically not build for strength, they are built down to a price. An alloy wheel like a Method, or other high quality wheel would likely serve most people just fine, but the $200+ per wheel price point is what probably scares most people away. Forged alloy wheels are very strong and in some cases may actually take more force to deform, or break than a steel wheel, now if the wheel becomes too deformed to allow the tire to stay seated or hold air pressure, you still would not be able to perform a trail repair. Steel wheels can also vary in quality based on price, but typically the gap from a "high end" steel wheel to an inexpensive steel wheel is small. As mentioned above, weight savings based on wheel size is going to be minimal, but also take into account that wheel and tire combination weight is all rotating mass, and has a large effect on "butt dyno" and potentially braking distance/feel as well. 15" sizes are being phased out due to newer vehicles typically having 16" or larger wheel sizes, thus making the tires for the larger wheels usually cheaper and potentially easier to source in the case of an emergency. I think the question of wheel size and construction material comes down to more personal preference and your terrain and driving style. If you find yourself in rocky or rough terrain and you like the use the skinny pedal, steel wheels would probably be a safer bet. If you find yourself daily driving your rig and taking easier terrain and being more precise in your vehicle control, then an alloy wheel may suite you better. One major thing to consider no matter what wheel construction you choose, is to be sure that the fitment is correct, and usually if you like to run low air pressure (read 10psi or less) then pick a wheel that has a width that is more on the narrow side for the tire size you have chosen, this will typically help keep the bead of the tire seated on the wheel in low air pressure situations. I used to run 31/10.50r15 on a 15x8 steel wheel at 6-8psi in the snow and never had an issue with debeading a tire. I switched out to 33/12.50r15 with alloy wheels 15x10 (i think they were american racing, but i don't remember) and had to keep the air pressures above 12psi in the snow to keep the tire from bebeading.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
As has already been stated, forged aluminum is nice. Sadly, it is not the standard for aluminum wheels.

My preferences, in order, are (1) forged aluminum, (2) steel, (3) cast aluminum. At least those would be my choices for my Jeep. If drag racing, then Magnesium Halibrands would take first place, but I don't think that is relevant here.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
As has already been stated, forged aluminum is nice. Sadly, it is not the standard for aluminum wheels.

My preferences, in order, are (1) forged aluminum, (2) steel, (3) cast aluminum. At least those would be my choices for my Jeep. If drag racing, then Magnesium Halibrands would take first place, but I don't think that is relevant here.
I agree forged aluminum is nice and it's the only kind of aluminum wheel I'll buy, as they say "expensive but worth it".

Mike331

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Diamond Springs Ca
First Name
Mike
Last Name
P
Member #

Forged wheels are great, but I think steel is the best compromise for most, and will be for me as well unless I find a set of methods for cheap.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Unless you want a specific style the used market is overflowing with 15 inch steel and aluminum factory wheels for various Jeep models.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Unless you want a specific style the used market is overflowing with 15 inch steel and aluminum factory wheels for various Jeep models.
I agree but I wasn't talking about wheel availability, I was talking about the shrinking inventory of 15" tires.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I agree but I wasn't talking about wheel availability, I was talking about the shrinking inventory of 15" tires.
And i wasnt talking aboot tires ha. I was mainly referring to the OP who was asking about wheels.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

in the next 10-20 years I'm betting 15s will go the route os 14s, 13s, 12s.
16s tend to be for heavy pickups, 17s seem to be taking over from 15s.

Kelly4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

el cajon ca 92021
First Name
BILL
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Go with a steel wheel more fore giving on rocks etc. I have a 2001 xj on 8x15 with 3.75 back spacing procomp 4wheel parts fake bead locks pn 252-5865 discount tire sales them too 85 .00 ea the fake ring is stronger then a regler steel rim , and I have 15-12.50x33 BFG all terrains 150.00 -170.00 EA the 15 in will give you more side wall flex in sand & mud and a better ride on the street , hope this helps ,, Kelly

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Small hits?, like a rock or pothole will deform a steel wheel long before the aluminum wheels. Even the weaker aluminum wheels.

Big hits? An aluminum wheel will shatter before the steel wheel cracks or bends badly.

A 33x10.5r16 tire is perfect for jeeps. Tall enough, but skinny enough to work with lighter shorter jeeps in snow and rain.

Research to see how small of a wheel you can go. For example, I can run a 17" steel wheel, but a 17" aluminum wheel will allow the wheel weights to hit the caliper. Rocks as well. So it's best for me to run a 18x9, +20mm wheel.

I prefer cheap aluminum wheels like Methods nv. Quality forged aluminum wheels like Innov8 are $1000 a piece. I don't see the need for that at this time. Especially for a wee little xj.

Last edited: