Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Bought this rig aprox. 6 months ago. It's an 08' Jeep Commander, Sport pkg. 3.7 L V6, full time 4x4 w/ quadra track I.
Have built a custom drawer storage system for the back cargo space. In the process of building a custom cargo rack. Installed a cold air intake filter by AEM. This was done to make room for a second battery system. Built a battery tray so far.View attachment 43302
Great work on the drawers! I have an '06 XK w/the 5.7 and QD2 that I've been working on for the last couple years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
got a link for the light mounts?
Check the Commander Nation page on FB. There's a guy in Denver who's uncle in Mexico makes these. He only gets a few sets at a time though so you have to keep an eye out.

Gotowork

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Perry, Ga. USA
Member #

Yes please
Sorry for the delay. I've posted an update on the build. Not sure how relative actual measurements would be, unless you also had a Jeep Commander. But all of the drawer system is made of finish grade plywood. 3/8" or 3/4" depending on structural need. Any vertical structural plywood is reinforced with metal. L shaped, flat, etc. I'll gladly answer any other questions you may have.

Gotowork

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Perry, Ga. USA
Member #

View attachment 56201 View attachment 56196 View attachment 56197 View attachment 56198 View attachment 56199 View attachment 56200 View attachment 56196 View attachment 56197 View attachment 56198 View attachment 56199 View attachment 56130 View attachment 56131 View attachment 56132 Update on the build: Needed to turn the water tank 90 degrees. It now sits centered L -R and 6" forward of the rear axle. Right where it should be. Of course everything else had to be rearranged. During that progress I added a second table for the stove. She now rides on a OME 2 1/2" HD full suspension. And Hella driving light up top.
View attachment 56130 View attachment 56131 View attachment 56132

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Dana Ramos

kappels

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Chattanooga, TN
Member #

Great looking XK! I am also a fellow XK owner but mine is bone stock until I decide to make the leap to modify. It manages pretty well for all factory and you can’t argue with all the cab space.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

85cj7boy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ohio
Like the drawer system. Looking forward to see what else you do. I have an 07 Overland Model that I will start to build as the wife allows. It has a 2" BB lift and I added a Thule carrier up top for snowboards. Thinking it will work to start overland trips but want to make a roof basket panel for it.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Nice! I saw those on the Commander Nation FB page. You'll have to report back on the quality when you get them.

I need to look at my alerts more often. They're good quality. I won't hesitate putting them on when I'm ready. I deleted the 'Commander' going up the side and opted for solid metal. I am thinking I may just chop off the light bar and only attach the lower portion that holds the 2 pods lights.

Sort of the Achilles heel of this light pod is that if you have to change the windshield (as I do), the lights have to come off as they cover up the windshield on the ends.

Gotowork

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Perry, Ga. USA
Member #

Great looking XK! I am also a fellow XK owner but mine is bone stock until I decide to make the leap to modify. It manages pretty well for all factory and you can’t argue with all the cab space.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Thanks, Mine started out bone stock as well (Sport, 3.7l) With a self-sustainable XK being the goal, solar panels are next ...

Gotowork

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Perry, Ga. USA
Member #

The wind deflector was plastic. Nice and rigid, yet flexible. However, the heat was causing it to warp slightly. Still functional, but looked weird. Found a composite aluminum material that will work much better. Very light weight ( lighter than the plastic one even) and will maintain it's rigidity. Also gave me a chance for a redesign. It now covers under the Hella lights. Wind noise from the rack ... Gone now PSX_20180621_081702.jpg !

Reactions: Natchez