NoGaOvrlnd

Rank 0

Contributor I

Buford, GA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Martin
I am looking at 2002 TRD with 259k to build out. Entertained thoughts of new 4runner for overlanding, but the mods I was interested in didn’t seem practical for a daily driver. Looks like you took on your Sequoia with high miles. What, if any, issues have you had to address with the engine and drivetrain with regards to reliability or rebuild?

Cory B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cullman
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Britton
Member #

I got mine with 164k on it. The timing belt and water pump had just been replaced. These are 2 major things to keeping these going . I have 210k on it now and it runs smoother than my wifes suburban with 130k less. So far nothing major repaired

IH8CALI

Rank 0

Traveler I

Utah
First Name
Joe
Last Name
C
Joined as well to follow this build, truly amazing. If my wife only knew what i'm planning now for her Sequoia :grin:

Reactions: A-Aron

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Joined as well to follow this build, truly amazing. If my wife only knew what i'm planning now for her Sequoia :grin:
I haven't updated in quite a while.. but more photos on IG if you want more ideas... @schfenn

Reactions: IH8CALI

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
max
Last Name
benning
Hey... Great build! i hope to start getting my '01 modded out.

One thing that's been a big PITA on our last trip is the trunk latch. I've replaced it twice already, the second time with one of the metal replacement kits (normal latch is plastic and a consistent source of failure)

What I've got now is basically the trunk latch wire pulled to the top, so you have to climb in the back of the car and pull on a little wire to unlock the trunk. It doesn't lock from the outside.

The latch broke recently in the middle of a road trip where we were living out of the car, and that definetely made things a lot more difficult. Let me know if you made any changes go it!

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Hey... Great build! i hope to start getting my '01 modded out.

One thing that's been a big PITA on our last trip is the trunk latch. I've replaced it twice already, the second time with one of the metal replacement kits (normal latch is plastic and a consistent source of failure)

What I've got now is basically the trunk latch wire pulled to the top, so you have to climb in the back of the car and pull on a little wire to unlock the trunk. It doesn't lock from the outside.

The latch broke recently in the middle of a road trip where we were living out of the car, and that definetely made things a lot more difficult. Let me know if you made any changes go it!
Try this...
I ran my cable out a hole and just pull on the cable directly.. this is the long term fix.

Reactions: OverLamb24

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Guess I am buying a Sequoia........

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
max
Last Name
benning
Try this...

I ran my cable out a hole and just pull on the cable directly.. this is the long term fix.
You've got the cable coming through the hole the outside of the trunk? Like I said my cable is only accesible by climbing in the trunk lol.

What's weird is it even stopped working with the metal latch replacement.

The $100 for an electric trunk latch doesn't seem like a terrible investment either though. Thanks!

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
You've got the cable coming through the hole the outside of the trunk? Like I said my cable is only accesible by climbing in the trunk lol.

What's weird is it even stopped working with the metal latch replacement.

The $100 for an electric trunk latch doesn't seem like a terrible investment either though. Thanks!
More than likely your cable stretched.. which is why the metal handle didn't fix your issue, either way, it will happen again... but electric is the future

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Guess I am buying a Sequoia........
Jim... You really can't go wrong with the Sequoia. Beware, the secret is out now, prices have been going up steadily the last few months. I really need to do an update, made some big changes recently and just haven't taken the time to post. The Sequoia ticks all the boxes and you're going to start seeing a lot more of them, at least for those that are building on a budget.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Yes please post updates.....

Negotiating now on one....

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Yes please post updates.....

Negotiating now on one....
05-07 are your best years if you can... 01-04 are nice, but only have a 4 speed auto and no VVT-i so.. less HP.. either will suit, but that 5th gear is a game changer when you really need to crawl

Reactions: Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Aaron, are you making this stuff (bumpers. skids, racks etc), to sell as well as dress up your Seq? I mean a bumper or 2 a year would give you a nice relaxing project and help, oh IDK, some desrving non-skilled, new Sequoia owner (ME), a ton........

Asking for a friend......

Reactions: IH8CALI

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Aaron, are you making this stuff (bumpers. skids, racks etc), to sell as well as dress up your Seq? I mean a bumper or 2 a year would give you a nice relaxing project and help, oh IDK, some desrving non-skilled, new Sequoia owner (ME), a ton........

Asking for a friend......
Congrats man! I've thought about it, I just haven't had time, I'm currently building a new house.. maybe once I have a garage again! What'd you end up with?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Congrats man! I've thought about it, I just haven't had time, I'm currently building a new house.. maybe once I have a garage again! What'd you end up with?
Well as of right now I am close on 2, 06 with low miles and an 04 with even less miles.....I keep playing back and forth.

Last edited:

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Well as of right now I am close on 2, 05 with low miles and an 04 with even less miles.....I keep playing back and forth.
No question.. get the 05 you won't regret it, it is really a significant difference

Reactions: Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Well as of right now I am close on 2, 05 with low miles and an 04 with even less miles.....I keep playing back and forth.
No question.. get the 05 you won't regret it, it is really a significant difference
Well the 06 fell thru but as I am typing I am on my way to test/buy an 05 with only 138k miles, it was-an older couples and everything is as new......We will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: IH8CALI and A-Aron