Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Hello!

I am thinking of adding an axe and a shovel to the Yakima rack I am going to install on my Wrangler. Do you have any recommendations for them? Do you think a plastic handle is better than a wooden one as it will be exposed to the elements? I am considering one of the Swedish axes for bush craft and camping but am not sure if I want to have it on the outside of the Jeep very often.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

If you're going to be leaving it outside in the elements, I don't know that I would go for one of the Swedish ones. Not because they can't take it, but because of the price. I'd rather leave a less expensive (ie. Fiskars) axe on the outside if it's going to be in the elements, and rarely taken off unless being used. That way if something were to happen to it (stolen, rain, snow, etc.) I wouldn't be as upset.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I have a 1st gen Crazy Beaver shovel that I carry around with me. It has held up great being used on a regular basis and being out in the elements. They are a little expensive and do not look the most appealing to the general public, but they sure can dig and be useful for other things with the teeth on them.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Have you considered a US Military pioneer kit for vehicles? They are readily available and inexpensive. Considering what they were designed for....

I have a WWII/Korean War set as well as the British version from the '60s. Both are incredibly durable.

Reactions: Lead K9

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I've had this shovel for about 3 years and really beat the crap out of it.
It has a steel handle welded to the shovel and I can use it to break up chunks of dirt with extreme malice and it has no damage!
Super reasonably priced too, I highly recommend it.

This axe is a simple steel handled Estwing for the same reason @toxicity_27 mentioned, I wouldn't be heartbroken if either of these got stolen off the outside of the car, but I do keep them locked on there.

Dan.

MEB77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Rafael, ca
Member #

I have a shovel with a plastic handle I got from Osh or lowes 5 or 6 years ago, then i got a cullens axe with a plastic handle as it has a pick on one side so it can help me dig or cut. Both where on the cheaper side incase they are stolen.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Have you considered a US Military pioneer kit for vehicles? They are readily available and inexpensive. Considering what they were designed for....

I have a WWII/Korean War set as well as the British version from the '60s. Both are incredibly durable.
Have you used yours? Do you find it works well given the interchangeable pieces?

It looks like it works, but I am concerned that the attractive part of it, the interchangeable heads, could be the weakest link when using it. I am curious to learn of your experiences.

Thanks!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Have you used yours? Do you find it works well given the interchangeable pieces?

It looks like it works, but I am concerned that the attractive part of it, the interchangeable heads, could be the weakest link when using it. I am curious to learn of your experiences.

Thanks!
They absolutely work!! I have never used them in re my rig, but have used them many times around the house, while camping, demo work, landscaping and so on.

The ones I have are vintage simply because I collect vintage items like this and they go with my rig - era wise. However, if you search for "US Military (or Army) Pioneer Tool Set" you'll find them. Toss "HUMVEE" into that search and you'll get the modern version.

Here is a link to the modern version a guy has on eBay (no affiliation).

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163313607242

Take a look at the pics, these can be mounted anywhere, but were designed to actually go under the vehicle.

If you go this route, especially through eBay, just make sure it's for the entire kit, not just the storage rack. Unfortunately there are a couple people out there who sell just the rack but make it sound like you're getting the tools as well. There are others out there, like surplus shops, that sell them as well.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Both my axe and shovel are from yard sales. Really cheap, ant they are both quality American made tools. I prefer wood handles on my tools, and with a little maintenance they hold up great. Just rub a little boiled linseed oil into the wood every so often, and they’ll last for years.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

Hello!

I am thinking of adding an axe and a shovel to the Yakima rack I am going to install on my Wrangler. Do you have any recommendations for them? Do you think a plastic handle is better than a wooden one as it will be exposed to the elements? I am considering one of the Swedish axes for bush craft and camping but am not sure if I want to have it on the outside of the Jeep very often.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
I think toxicity_27 is right as far as having an expensive tool on your rack that could be stolen. As far as wood vs plastic for outdoor use if you find a great deal on wood handle tools there are many simple was to waterproof wood. Many of which are non toxic. Google and YouTube are my sources to find these options.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

They absolutely work!! I have never used them in re my rig, but have used them many times around the house, while camping, demo work, landscaping and so on.

The ones I have are vintage simply because I collect vintage items like this and they go with my rig - era wise. However, if you search for "US Military (or Army) Pioneer Tool Set" you'll find them. Toss "HUMVEE" into that search and you'll get the modern version.

Here is a link to the modern version a guy has on eBay (no affiliation).

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163313607242

Take a look at the pics, these can be mounted anywhere, but were designed to actually go under the vehicle.

If you go this route, especially through eBay, just make sure it's for the entire kit, not just the storage rack. Unfortunately there are a couple people out there who sell just the rack but make it sound like you're getting the tools as well. There are others out there, like surplus shops, that sell them as well.
Good to hear they can take a beating. Not sure I would want to mount anything under the vehicle though.

Thanks for the warning! I appreciate your advice.

Reactions: Correus

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I would say it depends on what you think your usage is going to be and where you are going. for example. in the
Snow, (Soft) you may want to have a snow shovel which is ideal with moving lots of fluffy snow,
Snow (compact), clay, or boggy peat look at a Spade.
Soft Sand , Beach, compact snow, ice., gravel a shovel. as it is pointed and it has a concave scoop.

Dependant on weather conditions - metal with wood no good for winter and freezing sweat, plastic needs to be rated for winter

Two choices,
chopping trees for access, thick vines etc. standard - axe head, single face smooth on both sides
Chopping firewood - Norwegian axe with one side flat and the other side curved for leverage.

Axe Fiberglas handle metal head

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Good to hear they can take a beating. Not sure I would want to mount anything under the vehicle though.

Thanks for the warning! I appreciate your advice.
Glad to help. I agree with you...why on earth would you want to store the tools under the vehicle? What happens if you need them to dig out, yet the tools are under the bogged down vehicle?

Reactions: Scout

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

This is a new one to me...what do you mean?

I've been using metal/wood combo tools, such as shovels, axes, mattocks during the winter (snow/sleet/ice) for decades with no problems.
I just found as a kid up in Ft McMurray my skin would stick to the metal guard before the handle. Yes stupid me for not having gloves. But sometimes you lose them.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I just found as a kid up in Ft McMurray my skin would stick to the metal guard before the handle. Yes stupid me for not having gloves. But sometimes you lose them.
Okay...THAT makes sense....been there myself. There is a year round option that's easily replaceable. Can't remember the exact name, but it's like moleskin, it's a wrap for things like shovels and axes - no slip and insulates from cold.

Whatever you do though...don't stick your tongue out and touch the metal parts with it!!! LOL

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Okay...THAT makes sense....been there myself. There is a year round option that's easily replaceable. Can't remember the exact name, but it's like moleskin, it's a wrap for things like shovels and axes - no slip and insulates from cold.

Whatever you do though...don't stick your tongue out and touch the metal parts with it!!! LOL
Did it several times as a kid. Mom had to come with a kettle of boiling water

Wildcard

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

West Grove, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Lindsay
Member #

I carried a Fiskars axe with plastic handle and a Lowes spade shovel on the front of my Jeep for years and never had a problem with either. If i used the shovel, it would get some surface rust, but a quick grinding and some krylon, and it is good to go. The Fiskars axe is surprisingly durable. I cut up a pretty good sized tree with it and it never lost an edge. My only suggestion would be to put grip tape on the handle. I had to chase it twice until I learned.