Wolf427

Rank III

Contributor III

Halton Hills, ON, Canada
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Mancini
For a cheap axe that is very good I recommend the Cold Steel Trail Boss. I was very happy with the performance of it compared to my swedish axes(Hults Bruk, Hultafors, Wetterlings[My favourite], Husqvarna) for splitting and limbing. If you don't really care about performance and just need something to split, a cheap hardware store axe will do you just fine(for example Collins). I always choose a wood handle for axes.

Tony_Farson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

14422 Lasso Drive, Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Farson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MSQ
I too am a big fan of Cold Steel products. I like their Special Forces Shovel as it can double as a cutting, throwing, defense tool as well and at $25, the price cannot be beat. Cold Steel is legendary for building extremely strong weapons and tools too and I have no fear of putting them to the test myself.

Reactions: Lead K9

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

I restore axes as a hobby and a side gig, looks through my IG if youre into vintage stuff @rednoseleather

If you plan to actually use the axe for any small camp tasks I would skip the Fiskars. If you need something for clearing a trail then I would probably consider the Fiskars, they are also Swedish if you didnt know

If you maintain your tools, mounting them on the outside of your rig wont be a big deal. Oil a wooden handle twice a year (more if youre in a very dry or very wet climate).

The biggest thing... do not leave the edge uncovered! I hate it when I see axes with the edges unprotected. If your axe is sharp (and it should be!) you need to cover it for safety reasons and protecting the edge from chips.

Tony_Farson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

14422 Lasso Drive, Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Farson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MSQ
Do you guys with the smaller shovels find they work as well as longer-handled ones? I would think something with a longer handle would be easier to work with. What is the optimal length?
I think it depends on the job. I have found shorter handled shovels handy when I’m digging out an axle and space is an issue and the longer ones are nice when I am upright or need some extra reach. I used to carry a longer garden shovel and a shorter shovel so I had what I needed. I also used to have a couple of axes too. One was a hatchet and the other was a 32” axe. Back in the day they were all Home Depot stuff. It has been years since I outfitted for bigger adventures, so I’m slowly rebuilding my collection.

Reactions: Scout and Lead K9

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Lots of really good options in this thread, thanks everyone! Besides an axe and shovel, are there any other big tools that should be mounted to your rack?
Yes... it's an odd one, but give it some thought.

A full length rail spike puller.

The primary use for it would be fulcrum.

Think about how many times, especially when out and about camping or 4wheelin', when a good, heavy, stout pry bar/fulcrum would if been useful. Too many people ruin other, perfectly good tools when trying to use them as a pry bar/fulcrum.

Reactions: Ironhide

Dennis Stanley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kansas City, MO, USA
Member #

I know this thread is about a month old, but, I wanted to add that when I was in the Military we were issued the Max Axe, after abusing the heck out of them, well because we could, they held up nicely, so I bought my own. It has everything you need, most of the time, you are just clearing some brush, or setting the campsite, so the size and utility is perfect for Overlanding, IMHO.

Reactions: Desert Runner

offroad.GX

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

This is what I ended up with. I chose these for several reasons. First, I'm cheap, and these were both relatively inexpensive. Second, there are no hinges or interchanging heads which usually means weak points or poor geometry (unless you're buying the Billet4x4 stuff). Third, they were both highly rated online. And lastly, they will look great on my Forester. :)

Bully shovel:

Fiskars axe:

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Is anyone find a combo kit shovel and axe?
I guess it looks like Fiskars axe is best one, and may be Gerber shovel?

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I can't recommend a shovel but with the axe I can only recommend Fiskars.
I have two fiskars splitting axes for something about 10 years now and they split some serious amount of hardwood in this years and all it takes was some sharpening and rework on the edge, that's it.
I think that speaks for itself...
Would recommend a X7 for overlanding purposes.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I think I will get Fiskars X7 and Schrade Telescoping Folding Shovel, as I understood both product are really good.
thanks for help

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I would highly recommend getting a Pulaski axe over a standard axe. It still has the good chopping axe head, but it also has a "hoe" end. I've done hundreds of hours of trail-work and the Pulaski is the #1 tool I go for. Where I live (SoCal) the ground is often hard as a rock, and there is no way you will get a shovel into it. The "hoe" end of the pulaksi, on the other hand, will tear up the ground like no other. Then shovel the dirt out (if needed). If I came upon a gully, wash-out or eroded embankment, using a pulaski to "repair" the trail is a cinch!!

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Scout

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I would highly recommend getting a Pulaski axe over a standard axe. It still has the good chopping axe head, but it also has a "hoe" end. I've done hundreds of hours of trail-work and the Pulaski is the #1 tool I go for. Where I live (SoCal) the ground is often hard as a rock, and there is no way you will get a shovel into it. The "hoe" end of the pulaksi, on the other hand, will tear up the ground like no other. Then shovel the dirt out (if needed). If I came upon a gully, wash-out or eroded embankment, using a pulaski to "repair" the trail is a cinch!!

This for sure. I love my Pulaski, it has been with me on many trips and been sand blasted and repainted a few times now. Seriously one of the best outdoors tools ever. Also how it came to be invented is a cool story too.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

SOLVEFUNCTION

Rank V

Steward II

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Lim
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ETO
This for sure. I love my Pulaski, it has been with me on many trips and been sand blasted and repainted a few times now. Seriously one of the best outdoors tools ever. Also how it came to be invented is a cool story too.
I picked up this shovel locally. Very well built, i can check if they have more. 20181109_134956.jpeg