Overland Expos ?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

2,865
Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

0745

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Just in the past two weeks a couple of Overland expos have cancelled. The Mid Artlantic Overland Festival in Pennsylvania sponsered by Mainline Overland has been cancelled. I've my own thoughts on this one and in the name of good sportsmanship I will remain silent. However I am counting the days. The other is Overland of America, held in Oklahoma. After speaking to a handfull of suppliers and retail outlets I've come to the opinion that the market has been saturated and sales have gone flat or fallen off. With flat sales one of the first things to fall off, unfortunately, is customer service. Along with that, marketing dollars dissapear. It is a swirling black hole that some companies cannot/will not endure. I've read what the official reasons are for the cancellations which I think is language being used by the sponsors to save face. I know that everyone should be extremely cautious of companies that demand full payment upfront before doing business with that company. How many more expos will be cancelled? How many companies will go down? Time will tell.
 
Just in the past two weeks a couple of Overland expos have cancelled. The Mid Artlantic Overland Festival in Pennsylvania sponsered by Mainline Overland has been cancelled. I've my own thoughts on this one and in the name of good sportsmanship I will remain silent. However I am counting the days. The other is Overland of America, held in Oklahoma. After speaking to a handfull of suppliers and retail outlets I've come to the opinion that the market has been saturated and sales have gone flat or fallen off. With flat sales one of the first things to fall off, unfortunately, is customer service. Along with that, marketing dollars dissapear. It is a swirling black hole that some companies cannot/will not endure. I've read what the official reasons are for the cancellations which I think is language being used by the sponsors to save face. I know that everyone should be extremely cautious of companies that demand full payment upfront before doing business with that company. How many more expos will be cancelled? How many companies will go down? Time will tell.
Yep things are changing, one to watch is The Big Thing put on by XOVERLAND. Way different feel than any event I have been to.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Viking1204
Yep things are changing, one to watch is The Big Thing put on by XOVERLAND. Way different feel than any event I have been to.
I haven’t looked into that one very much. I look forward to hear what it is all about- it’s tough to get past the name for some of us old geezers. The Big Thing for us is to get back out west and wiggling our way north.
 
I haven’t looked into that one very much. I look forward to hear what it is all about- it’s tough to get past the name for some of us old geezers. The Big Thing for us is to get back out west and wiggling our way north.
Check out my post from this years event. Old Geezers, I am right there with you :sunglasses:
 
I’ve never really been to one. Well I’ve been to two to help buddies in their booths (free). But if my Wife and I were to go it’s a large amount of money to pay to go shopping. I just don’t see the value. If prices came down, I’d probably try one. Just not worth it IMO>.

Greg
 
Went to the to big one in Flagstaff several years ago with my brother. I combined it with visiting him in Kingman. I think he summed it up the best "there's a lot of expensive solutions looking for a problem to solve". For example showers for $$$$. What ever happened to a wash cloth and some warm water in a pail??? Anyway not surprised to some of them being cancelled, this whole "Overland" thing has been way over done. IMHO
 
  • Like
Reactions: grubworm
Overlanding was killed by grifters
id say the social aspect of overlanding was killed by grifters and liberals...both trying to exploit and control something once it gained popularity, but the commercial aspect was killed by the economy and just overall over saturation of gizmos and gadgets.

all expos are the same. its the same for construction equipment expos...there will be the new concrete pump on display for $900,000. its cool and the company rep demonstrating it makes it look and sound like a life changing piece of gear and it is very cool to see in person, but not a purchase I would be making at an expo. then I walk past dozens of other booths all trying to promote their spin on something that I already have and has been working just fine for me. my roofing crew is comprised of crackheads already asking for gas money 2 days after payday...i am NOT going to be buying them the $300 titanium hammer with the built in bottle opener or the $500 tool belt with built-in radio and Bluetooth.

where I live, there are arts and crafts pop ups, where a hundred local artists set up booths and people walk thru to check out the different vendors and hopefully buy something. its essentially an expo. well, most of the folk that show up are walking around with a smoked turkey leg in one hand and a beer in the other...they are not interested in buying anything other than food and beer and the goods on display are more for their viewing entertainment, like walking thru the freak show at a old time carnival

so yeah...maybe expos have become the modern day freak shows; things that are exciting to see, but nothing you want to take home with you...