Building, Driving and Adventuring the MTN4RNR

• HTML tutorial

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Great built thread and I love the attention to detail. I may have missed it but can you talk about how you're mounting the MaxTrax up top? Are they just strapped down or are you using a mounting bracket? I've been look everywhere for something that will work on a Gobi Stealth rack and the only thing I've found is from an Australian company that cost more to ship to the US than their bracket costs.
Thanks! I take pride in what I do, so I appreciate your appreciation for detail :tongueout:

I am using 2 rubber bungees to attach them to my Thule load bars. I can take some photos later. I don't feel the need to keep them on the rig at all times to show off the "overlandingness" of the rig. I just throw them on when I know I might need them on a trip, and put them in the 4R if I need to lock them up.

Also, give these a look... https://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3441

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

Thanks! I take pride in what I do, so I appreciate your appreciation for detail :tongueout:

I am using 2 rubber bungees to attach them to my Thule load bars. I can take some photos later. I don't feel the need to keep them on the rig at all times to show off the "overlandingness" of the rig. I just throw them on when I know I might need them on a trip, and put them in the 4R if I need to lock them up.

Also, give these a look... https://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3441
Thanks. I have the pins (actually two sets of them by accident) but I'm looking for something like this: http://4x4designs.com.au/product/raptor-racks-maxtrax-mounting-brackets-excluding-mounting-pins/ only without absorbent shipping costs.

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

One of the things that I learned early on when it comes to driving off the beaten path, is that air pressure is king. Too much, and you'll lost teeth. Too little and you'll lose a bead or be so squirrely that you'll never feel comfortable. And there are different pressures for different environments and road conditions. Having the ability to adjust tire pressures on the go is a big advantage when you are driving on the highway to the trail, then offroad, then back on the road between segments, then back off..... You get my point. Airing down is easy, you can use your key, a nail, or an ARB Deflator which will cut down your air down time dramatically. Well, if you go down, at some point you'll need to come back up. This need drove me to purchasing a single ARB 12v High Performance Compressor (CKMA12r) with the new mounting bracket from Slee Offroad. Lets get to it.​

Parts used:
- ARB 12v High Performance Compressor, and wiring harness (CKMA12r)
- Mounting bracket from Slee Offroad
- ARB pump up kit
- OEM style compressor switch from Slee Offroad
- Mini-blade Add-a-fuse
- Scotch Extreme Fasterners
- Waterproof butt connectors
- Shrink wrap
- Heat gun
- Dielectric grease
- Teflon tape
- Enough zip ties to hold it all together
- Crux Fermentation - Half Hitch Imperial Mosaic IPA (currently my favorite IPA)

Install:
Here is the new location for the compressor, between the fuse block and the brake master cylinder.

I mocked in the bracket to move the compressor around to see where I wanted it positioned, as the single can be positioned on the left or the right of the bracket. I chose this mount because I wanted to keep the passenger side of the engine compartment free for possible battery upgrades later on down the road. The hidden beauty of this mount, is that when used with the single ARB unit, there is plenty of room for a Blue Sea/Bussmann fuse box or a Switch-Pros unit. Basically you get a 2 for 1, something I will explore later on. This mount will also work with the dual ARB compressor, but it is centered and has only one mounting position.

I then prepped the compressor using the supplied fittings from the ARB pump up kit. The “diverter” is screwed into the master cylinder of the ARB unit, and then the pressure switch and chuck can be arranged however you need to suit your application. I wrapped the male ends in Teflon tape to prevent air leaks and installed them on the unit. (you’ll see them installed in later photos)

I then mounted the compressor onto the bracket using the ARB supplied hardware. This was the position that I thought I wanted it mounted, but as you’ll see in a bit, there is a complication!

I bolted the mounting bracket and the compressor into the engine bay using Slee’s easy to follow instructions and hardware. Two bolts in the fender sheet metal using factory unused threaded holes, and two on the wheel well sheet metal again using unused factory threaded holes.

This was my original orientation, with the compressor angled, so that when the hose was connected it cleared and didn’t rub the paint on the front quarter panel.

The problem arose when i went to close the hood, and the gas strut came in contact with the air chuck. Having noticed this, I put things on pause and really thought about the placement. One thing I failed to notice, mounting closer to the edge is more convenient, but it will limit my access to the firewall for feeding through future electrical lines. With the clearance issue, and the access issue, I reoriented and decided that mounting far left would be the better overall placement. So, I unbolted everything and installed again. Better now than later on down the road though. Here is where things ended up.

Much better.

Wiring. Once the hardware was installed I connected the wiring harness to the compressor and routed the wiring loom under the bracket. I ran the 40A Max fuse and the associated wiring behind the fuse block and to the battery. I attached the provided battery terminals, and then used the 3M fasteners to attach the fuse and the relay to the inner fender, above the fuse block. (note: the below photos shows the wiring hooked up, this was taken after I was finished installing. DO NOT hook up the wiring to the battery at this point, unless you like electrocuting things or yourself)

I then ran the other end of the wiring harness into the cab via the firewall (which I have gotten much better at doing). The compressor bracket didn’t interfere with being able to access the firewall port, so I am glad I thought of it when I did! ARB supplies a wiring harness intended for running a main switch, and the associated front/rear air lockers, as this compressor is used in locker applications as well. I could have wired it without the additional harness, but this gives me options down the road, and it isn’t sacrificing too much space in the interim. On the left is the wire loop fed through the firewall, and the right is the 3-way wiring harness which I will connect the “main switch” wires to the OEM style switch as shown.

Switch black to harness black. Switch green to harness red/yellow. Switch blue/yellow to harness blue/white (this would normally be tied in with the dimmer to illuminate the switch at night when not turned on, but I elected not to do this because I don’t feel it’s needed). Switch red to harness red.

The red/yellow harness wire is the 12v supply for the switch, so I connected it to an add-a-fuse and connected that to an unused, switched fuse spot. This way, the compressor can only come on with the car running, which is what you want anyways to keep your volts up while the compressor is running.

[Note: the add-a-fuse in the lower slot is for the amber markers on the S8 light bar]

Then, bundle the wires in whatever way you prefer and stash them under the dash and secure them in whatever way you prefer. I used zip ties because they’re like duct tape, but less sticky, and more convenient. And duct tape fixes everything.

And you’re done! Here are some completed photos.

Impressions:
The compressor has plenty of grunt to fill my tires with it’s +/-3CFM flow rate and 30 min duty cycle. I performed a test when installed. At a few hundred feet above sea level, it can inflate my 275/70R17 Cooper ST Maxx’s from 18psi to 40psi in 2 minutes. Pretty impressive for a small unit. I am sure that at altitude the time will increase, but it just means I get to stay in the mountains that much longer. One thing worth noting is that without a tank, this unit is too small to power an air nozzle for blowing off the bumper or engine bay or whatever. With the dual you can do it, but I don’t think it’s a huge sacrifice for the money and space saved. If I want that capability, I can install an air tank later down the road. For my needs this unit will work great.

More to come….​

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I am loving this thread since I am planning out my 5th gen as well. Have to ask, do you feel limited without a suspension kit? Or is the stock ride height sufficient enough for most off-road needs?

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I am loving this thread since I am planning out my 5th gen as well. Have to ask, do you feel limited without a suspension kit? Or is the stock ride height sufficient enough for most off-road needs?
Well, let me put it this way. A lift is on the list, but not in the current budget. Sometime in the fall I will upgrade suspension. That being said, the stock suspension does a lot more than people give it credit for. At 18psi on bumpy roads, it handles pretty well. The biggest limiting factor on the stock suspension is ground clearance in the front. My stock skid plate has found a few items as I have learned my ground clearance capabilities. Now that I have for the most part learned what I can and cannot clear, I can manage the majority of the trails that I typically run. But I want more, HA! I love the truck as it is, and I am ok with what I can do until I have saved for an upgrade, but man is an upgrade going to be sweet :laughing:

Reactions: SLO Rob

scs11431

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thank you for posting your build. I have gotten a lot of good ideals for my 5th gen, just waiting for it to arrive in port

Last edited:
Reactions: MTN4RNR

stevep0210

Rank 0

Contributor I

I followed a bit of guidance from balistikboy's [t4r.org] RAM mount addition [ http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/175655-balistikboy-14-toyota-4runner-trail-premium-build-thread.html#post1779403 ] and added my own. Removing the panel was easy but nerve racking because this was the first thing I had to do where I needed to pull something apart, drill something, and put it back together.
Parts used:
RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Ball Base with 1" Ball Unpackaged - RAM-B-238U | RAM Mounts
RAM Long Double Socket Arm for 1" Balls (Overall Length: 6") - RAM-B-201U-C | RAM Mounts
RAM 2.5" Round Ball Base with the AMPs Hole Pattern & 1" Ball Unpackaged - RAM-B-202U | RAM Mounts
iPad mini Car Mount & Cradle from LifeProof | LifeProof
Nuts, bolts, backing plate, loctite, beer.
1. Open your beer of choice, IPA for me
2. Remove passenger panel around the climate control knob using a bit of encouragement
3. Line up and drill holes in both the plastic and on the metal backing plate (mine was a piece from a hangar bracket I had laying around)
4. Install the ball mount with cap socket bolts, loctite and backing plate.
5. Throw 'er back together
6. Finish said beer
I didn't take any progress photos this time, but I will for upcoming additions. The mount holds up really well day to day, doesn't rattle or show signs of stress from the plastic panel it is mounted to. Now I can run nav, music, topos, and radar conveniently!​

[Additional updated photo from 11/28/2015]
What mapping and radar apps do you use?

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I have spent a good portion of my life in and around the north and west Tahoe shores enjoying skiing in the winter and boating/biking/hiking in the summer. I have always wanted to explore the roads West of highway 89. This weekend while vacationing at nearby Soda Springs, I took the initiative to head out and make a trip of it. The target being Ellis Peak, west of Tahoma with an elevation of approximately 8,500’.

I left the cabin we were staying at and decided first to cruise through the valley there at Soda Springs, which turned out to be a fun, fast cruise through some of the trees and the relatively smooth roads. The cool moment was seeing a train on the tracks above me, and “racing” to the next crossing. If I had a drone, a team of cinematographers and some time, it would have no doubt been an amazing shot (or at least I will keep thinking that). I made it to the next crossing first and got to enjoy the loaded Locomotive cruise by as it prepared for it’s descent into Truckee via the Donner Pass.

I then headed down Old Donner Summit, and into the Tahoe Basin, eventually cruising past Tahoe city and onto Barker Pass Road. This is a paved section that brings you to the Blackwood Canyon campground. You can take a paved option to the top of Barker Pass, or the 4WD option. You guessed it, 4WD for me.

Air down. 20psi front, 18psi rear as I was unloaded during this trip except for a few beers.

The trail remained fairly consistent and easy, I was in 2WD 75% of the way, stopping to enjoy some of the scenery.

I found a parked new TRD Pro on the trail, just below a rock obstacle. I connected with the owner after posting the photo on Instagram. She had bought the truck a few weeks earlier and was using it to get outside and enjoy the mountains. She mentioned that she was looking forward to more practice off road, and illuded that something like that wouldn’t stop her in the future! A side note: At first I made a caption for the photo comparing the “abandoned TRD Pro” on the side of the trail being passed by the Trail Edition with stock suspension, reflecting and joking on some of the views that some of us express here on this forum. It’s all quite negative really, and I didn’t really think much of it at the time. But when the owner spoke up about who she was and what her story was, I quickly took the foot out of my mouth and remembered that regardless of what you drive or how far you get on the trail, it is about being out there, doing SOMETHING instead of nothing. Needless to say I felt terrible that I had acted like a tool, and quickly recanted my original statement. She was kind to me after I had apologized, and I appreciated the reality check.

Back to the story:

Reaching the top of Barker Pass, I headed down the other side of the ridge and pointed towards Bear Lake, finding it full and pristine with plenty of future camping spots. This is where I realized I didn’t have any bug repellant *itch itch*

Time to make a break for the summit. Oh wait… there’s still snow on the trails… Made it through this bit

More trail

More snow. I lost forward momentum the first time trying this drift, but after the photo and reversing, a little more speed was all that was needed to get up and over.

This was the turn around point for this trail. I could have made an effort through this patch, but a few hundred yards up trail, there was a drift I knew I wouldn’t be able to pass.

I double backed to a smaller trail that was half creek half trail. I picked up some new custom striping through this section, which I have ultimately accepted as a part of the gig with a darker truck. It’s going to happen. I just try to moderate the difference between avoidable and careless scratches. It brought me through a scenic meadow with more creeks and water flowing through it

I then ran into a couple who were fellow Overland Bound members, who had met this snow drift and opt’d not to try passing in their Jeep as they had been solo before I showed up. I told them I’d give it a shot. Engaged the locker and took a hard right line.

No problem! And I got first use of the 4x4 Labs sliders with that rock on the left that I ended up moving anyways afterwards. Oh well…

My new trail buddies followed me in the Jeep to the point where we couldn’t venture any farther due to snow. .75 miles from the top, stopped by a trail wide, 3’ deep drift that was about 50’ long. Not willing to spend the day shoveling snow when I didn’t have the proper equipment to get me through safely. It was time to hike from there.

This is the final ascent to the peak that I had seen videos of other 4x4’s charging up. Next time….

See 2 of 2 below

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

The view at the top sucked. What a waste of a day….

Back down the mountain, I split off from the Jeep (not on purpose, but they were ahead of me and went right when I wanted to go left) and headed down towards Buck Lake.

The trail was great until I hit a rock garden that was something I feel I could have navigated, but with a lack of experience, armor and a spotter, I decided that this would wait for another day. Double back to head right where I initially went left.

A few miles later, I met up with the lake side access for the Rubicon Trail. With time against me on this trip, I headed down to towards the staging area to conclude this trip.

It was a great trip with some good things learned, and a whole new world of trails to explore. I have pinpointed a number of trails and waypoints that I want to explore more of on my next trip up to the area. Maybe I can convince a few other members to head up for a weekend camping trip to show me around and to spot me when I need it. My stock skids don’t like me….

More to come….​

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The view at the top sucked. What a waste of a day….

Back down the mountain, I split off from the Jeep (not on purpose, but they were ahead of me and went right when I wanted to go left) and headed down towards Buck Lake.

The trail was great until I hit a rock garden that was something I feel I could have navigated, but with a lack of experience, armor and a spotter, I decided that this would wait for another day. Double back to head right where I initially went left.

A few miles later, I met up with the lake side access for the Rubicon Trail. With time against me on this trip, I headed down to towards the staging area to conclude this trip.

It was a great trip with some good things learned, and a whole new world of trails to explore. I have pinpointed a number of trails and waypoints that I want to explore more of on my next trip up to the area. Maybe I can convince a few other members to head up for a weekend camping trip to show me around and to spot me when I need it. My stock skids don’t like me….

More to come….​
We actually debated taking Buck Lake but, due to time constraints, opted to just head about out to the main road. We ended up missing the turn to go back toward Bear Lake and somehow ended up going down a different forest service road that cut directly to Miller Meadow/Miller Lake. Anyways, great running into another person on the OB forums!

Happy trails!
-B

Reactions: MTN4RNR

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

We actually debated taking Buck Lake but, due to time constraints, opted to just head about out to the main road. We ended up missing the turn to go back toward Bear Lake and somehow ended up going down a different forest service road that cut directly to Miller Meadow/Miller Lake. Anyways, great running into another person on the OB forums!

Happy trails!
-B
Awesome, that's the way that I ended my trip after I got stalled going down to Buck Lake.

Good meeting you both, bummer we didn't get to say goodbye, but that's what forums are for :grin:

Reactions: Saints&Sailors

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I did a lot of growing up near the Blackwood Canyon area (Rubicon Bay). One time in the summer we had gotten pounded with rain and the campground flooded and I took my old truck out there and bashed through all the puddles (man, I can't wait to move back to the Tahoe area). I haven't done the trail but I have heard many people say it is fun. Next time you're up there check out the twin peaks trail, it is over by the Y in south shore, another moderate trail, there are three big rock gardens but they all have bypasses.

Jethro

Rank 0

Contributor II

We live in the Roseville area and love getting up there as much as possible, sometimes we go a few of us from the area that are part of NCLR. I'd love to hit this section up if you go again.

Mt. Watson is another one that is close to there that I've wanted to explore, sounds really easy from the guide books.