Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

ya i figure ill have to stop maybe twice for fuel, depends on how fast we drive lol

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Sure anywhere in there is fine. Like I said it's the jump-off point so there's a ton of stuff there.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

It's dispersed camping which means anywhere off the main road is okay. There are a lot of good flat spots to set up and most have rock fire rings, wood burning is okay. I usually take my washing machine/ fire pit.
As far as the permit, since it's BLM land I would assume a permit is required. They're easy to obtain. Just go to the BLM site, fill in the blanks, answer some easy questions and print your permit. Although the permit doesn't show an exp. , I believe they are good for the year. I hope I didn't ramble too much.
You are correct on the Fire Permit. I just got one from a Ranger last month when I went camping down past Big Sur. LOL on the washing machine/fire pit. We used to do that a lot. A few, few, few, few years back I used to work for a commercial washer/dryer company and people would come up to us all the time asking for the old washer tubs.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

For those coming from West/Bay Area, what's the consensus on route? It looks like all roads through the Sierra's close for the winter... Bakersfield?

edit: 178 through Lake Isabella would be a nice drive...
@fj80toyman I drove HWY 178 one time going to Mount Whitney and it was a nice drive but it's a very winding road and in one section it turns into one lane (but not for long) That was 5 years ago so it may have changed since then.
For a quicker route from Bakersfield, you should take HWY 58 to HWY 14 then to HWY 395. Trust me on this, its quicker and your breaks will thank you for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: VCeXpedition

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

You are correct on the Fire Permit. I just got one from a Ranger last month when I went camping down past Big Sur. LOL on the washing machine/fire pit. We used to do that a lot. A few, few, few, few years back I used to work for a commercial washer/dryer company and people would come up to us all the time asking for the old washer tubs.
I got mine but the pdf won't show on my phone and I don't have a printer argh. Who owns a desktop anymore sheesh...

Scratch that got it figured out.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I've had my fire pit for 10+ years and it's still in great shape. I can't believe they sell for over $100. As far as the fire permit, if anyone is concerned about not downloading one, there should be enough of us that do have it and there is the Vistor Center close by.

Reactions: Corrie

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Looks like we got a crew! [emoji119] Can anyone let me know the official attendance list, especially for the Gilroy convoy squad. Not sure what time we're calling for go time? I'll get completely cracked out on caffeine if we wait too long. [emoji854][emoji477]️

Did Michael mention we have a drone now? And we're breaking it in with this trip? #youtubezzzz!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

Looks like we got a crew! [emoji119] Can anyone let me know the official attendance list, especially for the Gilroy convoy squad. Not sure what time we're calling for go time? I'll get completely cracked out on caffeine if we wait too long. [emoji854][emoji477]️

Did Michael mention we have a drone now? And we're breaking it in with this trip? #youtubezzzz!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
Sweet!! The only thing that I know for sure is that Stoney and I are meeting in napa around 4am to head down. That would put us into Gilroy around 6am. Hopefully we can meet the rest of the convoy there but we haven't really been able to nail it down.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: stoney126

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

@fj80toyman I drove HWY 178 one time going to Mount Whitney and it was a nice drive but it's a very winding road and in one section it turns into one lane (but not for long) That was 5 years ago so it may have changed since then.
For a quicker route from Bakersfield, you should take HWY 58 to HWY 14 then to HWY 395. Trust me on this, its quicker and your breaks will thank you for it.
I can second this. I drove down to Lake Isabella to grab some 2015 Desert Runner wheels and 178 just getting into LI was a chore, and this was at 6 AM.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Well, replacing these cured about 75% of my exhaust leak, only 99 more things have to line up for me to make the run to the Alabama Hills!

uploadfromtaptalk1459309109709.jpg

In any case, I won't be passing through Gilroy, especially at 6-freakin'-AM, you animals!

I'll probably hit 395 from the 14 at around 1:00pm or so, but that's very -ish, don't know what Friday morning is gonna bring.

Sent from the future using outdated technology. On Tapatalk.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Sweet!! The only thing that I know for sure is that Stoney and I are meeting in napa around 4am to head down. That would put us into Gilroy around 6am. Hopefully we can meet the rest of the convoy there but we haven't really been able to nail it down.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I'm rolling solo this trip and my friend had something come up so we won't be meeting in bakersfield. I'm flexible on a meeting spot but Gilroy seems like a good place for reasons Mak already mentioned.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Lol I gotta go get my cans of spaghetti Os . I was gonna try and make my dinner but meh haha.

I have a question. This is my first dispersed trip. If I wash a pan or dish is it ok to dump the water out on the ground? I know it seems like a silly question but thought I would ask

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Lol I gotta go get my cans of spaghetti Os . I was gonna try and make my dinner but meh haha.

I have a question. This is my first dispersed trip. If I wash a pan or dish is it ok to dump the water out on the ground? I know it seems like a silly question but thought I would ask
I've never seen a huge problem with grey water unless it's some ass dumping his RV out and flooding the trail (seen it)

A pan of dishwater isn't going to hurt anyone. Let Copper pre-rinse for you you'll be able to wipe it with a damp towel and call it good!