SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
In my search for a vehicle, I found a 2021 Bison ZR2 with 2,167 miles on it that a customer returned because he wanted something else. Guy was wealthy so the loss wasn't a problem. I looked at the vehicle and test drove. In perfect condition. Never taken off road. $45k.

However, I also came across a new 4Runner TRD OR Premium. I'm leaning heavily towards the ZR2.

The ZR2 has a 6 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

As a colorado owner I don't think it would be fair to say go buy this or that.
Go test drive all of them and then some more to find out if it's what you really want

The only major difference in colorado and Tacos is the drivetrain and interior the body is so similar I have trouble telling them apart in the dark or from afar sometimes. And I'm fairly sure the rear bumpers would be swappable.

I'd take the colorado any day but I'm biased towards chevy.
The Toyota would probably be cheaper in the aftermarket parts dept and maintenance.
Though the bison comes with nearly everything you really need for offroading armor wise.

Make a pros and cons list for both and go from there.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Am a Chevy guys as well, but have secretly admired the Tacos and have long wanted a current gen 4Runner. Meanwhile: It's a full-on Bison?For 45? Try finding a new zr2 for that around here. If I were in the market, and could spend 45, I'd probably go for the Bison. But truth be told, the Taco or a 4Runner may end up with better resale value just based on history

Reactions: SalmonSlicer

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
Am a Chevy guys as well, but have secretly admired the Tacos and have long wanted a current gen 4Runner. Meanwhile: It's a full-on Bison?For 45? Try finding a new zr2 for that around here. If I were in the market, and could spend 45, I'd probably go for the Bison. But truth be told, the Taco or a 4Runner may end up with better resale value just based on history
It's a crazy time. The Colorado has a surprisingly high resale value. Much higher than I had thought. Most Toyotas have high resale value. It was between the ZR2 and a 4Runner for me. Tough decision. Drove both, liked both.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
45K for a low mileage Bison sounds like a fair price. Used prices are thru the roof right now and GM is not taking orders for new trucks. If you like the Bison bumpers I'd buy it.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I'd vote Bison. More capable out of the box, more comfortable, more power (if you care). Tacos are fine trucks, but they can't compete with the Bison. If it were between a Bison and Gladiator Rubicon then that would be a more difficult decision, but personally I don't think Taco vs Bison is a hard choice.

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
I'd vote Bison. More capable out of the box, more comfortable, more power (if you care). Tacos are fine trucks, but they can't compete with the Bison. If it were between a Bison and Gladiator Rubicon then that would be a more difficult decision, but personally I don't think Taco vs Bison is a hard choice.
I'm going to go for it. It was between this and the 4Runner.

Reactions: DRAX

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
Prices are insane right now. I lucked out because this guy, who was wealthy apparently, decided after 2k miles he didn't want it. Dealership had it listed for almost $47k. Got them down to $45k. Warranty is better than new - 6 years 100k miles. I inspected the truck and it appears 100% fine. Dealer said it was never taken off road. I drove it for a while and it is rattle free runs perfect.

Toyota is marking up their SUV/trucks right now to absurd levels. I love Toyotas, but buying a 4Runner right now, a bulletproof SUV built on a platform from 2012 or so, is expensive.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Most everybody is making very capable trucks these days. I recognize Toyota’s as good trucks, but not a fan of them. Get what suits you and go play with it.

Last edited:

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I'm going to go for it. It was between this and the 4Runner.
Awesome! I'm sure you'll love it. If you feel like the seat bottom is a little on the firm side it will break in with seat time. That's about the only comfort-related complaint I had about my truck, but after the seat breaks in I can drive all day without complaint. Looking forward to seeing pics!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Have you seen a Gladiator Rubicon on 37"x12.5 MT's yet?

Wait until the v8 version comes out. (Ignore the ugly painted fenders, pretty sure they come in black still)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Those Jeep Gladiators are kick-ass! My brother in law has one. Though not a Ruby, it is still very nice and capable.

Having said that, I've never really been a fan of cramming an 8cyl into any S10/Ranger/GrandCherokee/Explorer package. This Jeep sort of falls into that category for me.

I like to save the 8's for full size.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Actually, I don't think that engine is very big. Bigger than a LS, but it's not a cammer or anything.

And half doors are finally back:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Funny about the half-doors. Seems people seek them now. Back in the 90's, it was a way they used to try to get people to keep the doors on when going down a highway. Most people then saw it as a watering down of the Wrangler awesomeness. Now its desired.