ZR2 Bison vs. Wrangler with falcon shocks?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am getting a newer rig in the next year or so, I am wondering what would ride better on rough higher speed roads and trails. The bison with those cool shocks or a wrangler unlimited with falcons? I mainly want smooth high speed rough roads and trails performance for my family. High speeds meaning 80kph on dirt roads type driving. Our trails are a combination of rocks/dirt with deep pot holes and some mud, but mostly hard surface trails.

I know both will crawl over anything we go on, but I want smoother riding while travelling a bit faster on the more open trails. For example, in my last wrangler unlimited, I could drive say 80-90kph on a certain trail. We took my wifes patriot up the same trail and could not go 20-30kph.

thanks for some insights on this.

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

I don't know anything about the Jeep, but I have been researching the Colorado a bit (I'm considering trading my Silverado in on a Bison). If all you want is the DSSV shocks, they are standard on the ZR2. The big adds on the Bison are the front and rear bumpers and the boron steel skid plates. The suspension is unchanged between the ZR2 and Bison.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I would venture to say the Bison due to the longer wheelbase and those amazing Multimatic shocks. However, you're not limited to them if you should later decide you need even more capability. Baja Kits makes a pre-runner kit for the ZR2 now.

You can watch some of the 420Motors videos. He's mainly a desert-runner and he loves his ZR2 and regularly wheels with built Raptors and Jeeps out in the desert. He does cuss in his videos so be wary if the kids are lurking.

Here he explains the DSSV shocks

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

Maybe you put the bug in my head @kojack, but I went an took a Rubicon for a test drive today, along with a ZR2. Ride quality on the street goes to the ZR2. I didn't get a chance to test any offroad capabilities of either rig. It sounds like we have the same dilemma. Check out the thread I just started: Help! ZR2 vs. Rubicon.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Maybe you put the bug in my head @kojack, but I went an took a Rubicon for a test drive today, along with a ZR2. Ride quality on the street goes to the ZR2. I didn't get a chance to test any offroad capabilities of either rig. It sounds like we have the same dilemma. Check out the thread I just started: Help! ZR2 vs. Rubicon.
As I mentioned I owned a jk modded, with the falcons and a griffin attenuator, the jk will feel just as good n road. But I think I am leaning towards the bison as it’s overland ready off the floor, able to tow much more than the Jeep, and better on gas. I do not like the regular zr2. The flip side, if the bison parts become available from aev direct, I would buy a base model, slap bajakits suspension on it with the bison hard bits and wheels.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The base model Colorado is 235 biweekly tax in here, the bison is 382 bi weekly tax in. That's 294 dollars a month savings. I am going to sell my escape at that time and pay for the extra goodies! better to have a lower monthly payment and build it myself (I am a mechanic btw).

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The base model Colorado is 235 biweekly tax in here, the bison is 382 bi weekly tax in. That's 294 dollars a month savings. I am going to sell my escape at that time and pay for the extra goodies! better to have a lower monthly payment and build it myself (I am a mechanic btw).
That's the best way to go assuming you can fix stuff that will no longer be covered by warranty. One thing to keep in mind is that the only way, currently, to get the front diff locker is to buy the ZR2 or Bison. No other Colorado/Canyon has a front locker and the rear locker on those other models is an auto locker (G80), not an electronic locker like the ZR2/Bison. Furthermore, the Colorado LT has to have the trailering package to get the G80 rear locker option. The Z71 comes with the G80 as do all Canyon models.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
That's the best way to go assuming you can fix stuff that will no longer be covered by warranty. One thing to keep in mind is that the only way, currently, to get the front diff locker is to buy the ZR2 or Bison. No other Colorado/Canyon has a front locker and the rear locker on those other models is an auto locker (G80), not an electronic locker like the ZR2/Bison. Furthermore, the Colorado LT has to have the trailering package to get the G80 rear locker option. The Z71 comes with the G80 as do all Canyon models.
That price includes the trailer package. Front lock is not needed for what we do.

Reactions: JCWages