Zion National Park

• HTML tutorial

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Has anyone camped in the South Campground that has rolling reservations every two weeks? Is there a loop that is better than another?

Last edited:

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Has anyone camped in the South Campground that has rolling reservations every two weeks? Is there a loop that is better than another?
I have camped there a few times. I do not personally think there is a better loop. I did find the southern end of the campground (not sure what loop it is) is next to the entrance into the park and the main road. Stay to the north of the camp ground. Less road noise and I think closer to the river

Reactions: xterramom

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Reading reviews it looks like theres a couple spots that have really nice views of the rocks and close to the river. It says some flood at times which I'm not concerned about with my RTT.

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Im heading there this month, il check it out [emoji106]
Ill be there on the 25th and 26th I'm thinking of this month. Sites 58-63 look nice, its hard to tell from the map where you can drive to? 74 72 71 and 68 looks like they are back in the grass and wouldnt work with RTT setup?

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Reading reviews it looks like theres a couple spots that have really nice views of the rocks and close to the river. It says some flood at times which I'm not concerned about with my RTT.
Only flooding this time of year is flash flood. But, I don't see it being an issue this time of year.

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I looked at the BLM land, mainly Smithsonian Butte but I will have a 7-10 hour drive before arriving at camp for the night. I like the idea of not having to pack up my roof top tent and annex just to drive 30 mins to the park for the day. Also the showers at Zion Outfitter are a factor since I dont have a solar shower yet and will be dispersed camping the two previous days down there.

For anyone curious, there are still tons of sites available only being two weeks out. Most of the prime river spots are booked however. I plan on getting to the campground around check in time, setting up my RTT and annex and then heading to the Zion Outfitters and brewpub then heading on the shuttles into the park.

This will give me most of the afternoon and evening first day, and second day I will be able to wake up and head straight to the shuttle for another full day in the park! From there I will be heading to Valley of Fire the next morning.

Reactions: Captstout

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Even though you are next to the road usually the crowds and traffic die down pretty much after dusk.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Ill be there on the 25th and 26th I'm thinking of this month. Sites 58-63 look nice, its hard to tell from the map where you can drive to? 74 72 71 and 68 looks like they are back in the grass and wouldnt work with RTT setup?
Thats correct those are walkin sites with no parking within the campsite

xterramom

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Plympton, MA, USA
First Name
siobhan
Last Name
Green
Member #

Smithsonian road has lots of camp space and its a great road to just cut off highway miles :)

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

I've done dispersed camping around Zion but try to be in the park, just makes life easier if you're with another person like your S/O. If I was by myself, I would do dispersed camping all the time but I always take my wife which she needs a few things like a bathroom...