Yukon and Alaska

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Yellow knife is definitely worth a visit (the appellation "Yuppyknife" is not justified at all...).

Winter in this area can be cold - I recall three days in Inuvik when we could not go outside for more than 20 seconds, we saw minus 110 deg C (with wind chill, admittedly).
Just to calibrate (apologies to those for whom this is unnecessary) minus 110 C is minus 166 F.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Even during the last days of July I was wearing a sweatshirt in Tuk. I was not cold but I was comfortable.
We were in Tuk july 2/3 2018 and the weather was fantastic. It was pretty warm, though I still could only get in the water up to my knees. The dogs sure enjoyed it, and their were a few brave souls who went in for a swim.

20180702_130033.jpg

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

People in the North wear T-Shirts & Shorts in March if the temperature hits -25C which is 0F for you Yanks. AND WE PARTY !!!!!

One thing about cold weather or hot weather in a desert climate, -40C or +40C is neither unbearably cold or hot if the humidity is 0. 40 below in the north is almost always without any wind or humidity. It is not impossible to get the mail in a tshirt and shorts on the coldest days. But you want to plug in the block heater.

DSC_03292654.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Oregon_trail

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

People in the North wear T-Shirts & Shorts in March if the temperature hits -25C which is 0F for you Yanks. AND WE PARTY !!!!!

One thing about cold weather or hot weather in a desert climate, -40C or +40C is neither unbearably cold or hot if the humidity is 0. 40 below in the north is almost always without any wind or humidity. It is not impossible to get the mail in a tshirt and shorts on the coldest days. But you want to plug in the block heater.

View attachment 169254
It’s good to know I’m thinking we would hit TUK at the end of May that way we are not below freezing. I do agree though humidity is a big thing in what makes it feel cold or hot really.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Another story of arrogance to Canadas laws.

And another..... some just don't get it.... the thing is as it becomes more of a problem, the fines, penalties, increase. I expect at some point vehicles will be impounded too.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Terry Pickens

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I think if you show up with a camper and kayak.... they might not believe you. If you show up with a Prius and a wheelchair..... you might have more credibility.
But honestly, the reason Americans are being rejected, the reason for the crack down is because of the record numbers of Americans lying and doing the tourist thing in Canada.
It is only going to get worse as BC is seeing higher daily COVID numbers than ever...... and kids are heading back to school.

PS, no one in Alaska is trapped, there are plenty of direct flights to the lower 48.

Great video, thx for posting Marek.
And I LOVE your cabin.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

It’s a good thing my trip is still 7 months away.
Honestly, the border won't open til the USA dramatically drops their USA COVID statistics. And I doubt that will happen in 7 months. I predict the border won't open in 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Honestly, the border won't open til the USA dramatically drops their USA COVID statistics. And I doubt that will happen in 7 months. I predict the border won't open in 2021.
And if that’s the case we may put if the trip and just do the trans America trail or something. Maybe Baja if that border is better but we will see.

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

yep, good choice.

My own travels this summer have ALL been about exploring within 100 miles of home, often refueling at the same gas station. The theme seems to be avoid unneccessary travel, play in your own backyard. AND I have been amazed how beautiful my backyard is. When I see out of Province plates I think they are not just missing the message..... they are missing the opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oregon_trail

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

yep, good choice.

My own travels this summer have ALL been about exploring within 100 miles of home, often refueling at the same gas station. The theme seems to be avoid unneccessary travel, play in your own backyard. AND I have been amazed how beautiful my backyard is. When I see out of Province plates I think you they are not just missing the message..... they are missing the opportunity.
I’ve stayed in my state as well this summer but if I can I hope to travel farther next year but I have no idea if that will happen. If it doesn’t I’ll probably do the trans America trail that would actually be a lot less miles but would be much more remote travel through the US