Your Very First Off Road Experience

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Spectre7599

Rank I

Contributor I

Roseburg, OR, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Alcock
Member #

Hard to know what my first one was, but the first I really remember was when I was learning how to drive a HMMWV at 18 y/o up around Mt. Hood. Had a washed out road with a culvert sticking into the washed out section. I carefully drove out with my left tires on the culvert, and had 3 tires touching at any given time. Made it over no problem. If I had any advice, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Codebeagle

Rank II

Member II

Kearns, UT, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

My first off road experience was when my dad let me drive our 1988 suburban on a fathers and Sons outing when I had my learner’s permit. We rode along the roads in the desert west of Utah Valley and I was hooked.

OtherOrb

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE7QIF
I was born on a dirt floor in the middle of nowhere in the northern Arizona desert. Does that count?

If not, we used a horse-drawn wagon to travel along the dirt "road" to the highway and then to town until I was about seven. And, of course, I was riding those horses all over the desert.

Forte

Rank II

Contributor I

Alliance NE
First Name
Colin
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm a youngin.... but I learned to drive stick in this 1972 Bronco, 3 on the tree. Loved this truck and miss it dearly.

I used to be really into airsoft (basically take a bb gun that shoots plastic bbs, and shoot at your friends) but anyway we would drive out into the middle of the Arizona desert and have wars. I remember flexing this thing down an embankment into a wash and later getting stuck in a bunch of mud on the slick highway tires... Absolutely fell in love with off-roading then even though I had no clue what I was doing. My dad wasn't too happy when I called him out to meet me to yank out the Bronco - I had already managed to rock myself out of the muddy rut in 4hi.

notajeep.jpg

MazeVX

Rank VI

Advocate I

Gießen Germany
Member #

Was driving a '98 Subaru forester and we were searching for my brothers dog who got shocked by a electric cattle fence, we were driving in the dark and hoped the dog would be attracted by the light didn't found the dog that night but had some fun driving around.
Doggo sat in my backyard the next morning.

MidOH

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham Callsign
YourHighness
Tried to replicate R&T's cover page where they had a Toyota Supra Turbo airborne over a hill. Ended up driving a Mustang through a corn field. Killed a thousand ears of corn.

Advice: Don't underestimate the use of mud rated tire chains or TireClaws. If there is no traction, you need to bite in. Most overlanders skimp here, and pay the price.

4wheelspulling

NorthWest Region Member Represetative
Staff member

Traveler I

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I had the blessing of growing up along the North Oregon Coast and South Washington Coast. My stepdad had a welder and together we built a dune buggy/ big go cart. It had a Crosley, front axle and rear end! 4speed Jeep trans in front, and a 3 speed trans as the main. I dove it all over the place but mostly on the beach. I was Nine at the time and learned fast about how to drive in the sand! Even the cops would just wave and smile as I was caught driving it in town instead of staying on the beach as my parents had asked me too! My first car that I worked and saved up for, was a Spirit of 76’ Pinto. Then, back off -roading in a 2wd Ford courier ! I dove that all over the Blue Mountains. Vance.

leeloo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Belgium
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
3 years ago I was in mountain resort with the family and we wanted to take a cable car to the top, but it was broken. A guy there was offering an off road tour towards the same location, but in a 4x4 and almost the same price. So we took it , he had an old beaten up Hyundai Tucson, but we loved it.
So me and my wife decided to start doing this, so we bought a Subaru Forester, it was a 2008 SJ , and this is what we used to take a trip in Spain, from Mediterana to the Atlantic, following the Pyrenees mountains, about 800 km off road.
It was great, but the car suffered from being over the GVM. All the tests I did off roading ( nothing to extreme, just a bit more difficult forest roads) were with the car empty, and with 3 people and all the camping gear... not so good . The car struggled ( a small 2 L petrol engine with no torque ) and the suspension was reacting badly to bigger bumps :) . But we still managed and did not had bad incidents, except for roaming around a military exercise area that had no sign on the weird trail that we took to arrive there :) . But we were not arrested and did not stumble on tank exercises so it was fun :)

All in all was a good trip, but when we came back we sold it and went for a Landcruiser with a more appropriate GVM. :)

Tray

Rank V

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham Callsign
WB5TRA
When I was maybe 10 or so, my uncle took me out in his old even back then Chevy truck that was Frankenstein’s together...I don’t think he even knew what the original color was...junk yard special, but we went mudding and had a blast.