Your one "must have"

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Patrick F. McManus.

He is a family camping tradition. If we are camping then McManus comes along. Come bedtime it is my job to pick and read one of his stories. I think the rest of the family most enjoys watching me struggle to read aloud as I nearly die laughing.

Of course I have to hide him away during the day or The Varmints will find him and spend hours reading when they should be running around living McManus.

For those who don't know him, Pat McManus used to write "The Last Laugh" for Outdoor Life magazine. All of those articles have been compiled into books. They are essentially collections of short stories, each of which can stand on their own, although character development does increase the more of them you read. They are largely humorous accounts of the various trials and tribulations endured by those who spend any amount of time outdoors. Do a Google search for "The Art of Trailering" and you should be able to find a pdf of one of his original columns. That will give you a taste of his style of humor.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Patrick F. McManus.

He is a family camping tradition. If we are camping then McManus comes along. Come bedtime it is my job to pick and read one of his stories. I think the rest of the family most enjoys watching me struggle to read aloud as I nearly die laughing.

Of course I have to hide him away during the day or The Varmints will find him and spend hours reading when they should be running around living McManus.

For those who don't know him, Pat McManus used to write "The Last Laugh" for Outdoor Life magazine. All of those articles have been compiled into books. They are essentially collections of short stories, each of which can stand on their own, although character development does increase the more of them you read. They are largely humorous accounts of the various trials and tribulations endured by those who spend any amount of time outdoors. Do a Google search for "The Art of Trailering" and you should be able to find a pdf of one of his original columns. That will give you a taste of his style of humor.
I was hoping for a Pat quote...

"Before committing yourself to a hunt with any new acquaintance, you should first take him on an overnight camping trip, one of the very best of all psychological tests."

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Dental floss.

I know it sounds weird but you’d be surprised how useful it is. I’ve fixed a tent in the middle of the night with it. It’s crazy strong, sanitary, and doesn’t take up hardly any space. Plus you can clean your teeth with it.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I take some sort of shower or at least a way to rinse off. Nothing more than a get wet soap up rinse off very little water use. Being a laborer my whole life I've showered at the end of the day especially as a mechanic. The big wipes dont work either. It's a weird quirk

Outbound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alberta
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
H
Patrick F. McManus.

It's not a camping trip without Pat McManus! I "discovered" him as a kid and remember reading A Fine and Pleasant Misery by flashlight in the tent for the first time while camping with my dad. I woke dad up with my stifled laughter. These days, I read McManus books to my wife before bed while camping. Sometimes it's hard to read aloud through the chuckles.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Patrick F. McManus.

I rotate McManus books in me expedition trailer. Back in Junior High, our woodshop teacher was a fisherman. My best friend (who's goal back then was to be Rancid Crabtree) and I would sit in the backroom of the woodshop, tie flies and read the The Last Laugh column from the Outdoor Life magazines that we "borrowed" from the school library. Now 45 years later I still have the same best friend, tie flies and read McManus. No reason to change things that are that good.

Merry Christmas!

And my must have is my EDC pack with a firearm and my ESEE 5 knife.

EDC pack 2.jpg