Your choice for deep cycle batteries...

• HTML tutorial

Darrell Dunn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crowley, Texas
Member #

Working all the new components and associated wiring in my trailer...water pump, led lights and light strips, battery charger, power inverter, solar, etc.. It's getting time to invest in my battery bank. I'm not a YouTube star or professional Overlander, so my stuff is not donated free of charge. Also, I'm not going to purchase two yellow-top Optimas to only use maybe 3 weeks total out of the year. So my question pertains to average-Joe bang for the buck. I've done the math and know my probable A-h draw, but there is always better opinions out there! Yes there are true deep cycle batteries and sort of deep cycle, but what say you experienced Overlanders?

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I don't quite understand the only use 3 weeks a year part. Will this deep cycle get charged by your alternator? I have a yellow top and I've had good luck with several other red tops for my starter...

Darrell Dunn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crowley, Texas
Member #

The "three weeks" is real use in the field. Currently live in Texas, but we're looking at homes in Colorado. Not to offend native Texans, which I'm one, but 5+ mos. out of the year tent camping is unbearable. So with limited opportunities to drive 10 hrs to the nearest mountains and trails, I'll have limited use of my off-road trailer here. So back to subject...I'm talking about the electrics in my trailer's tongue box. The battery bank will be charged through solar, charger or even generator. Not wiring through my vehicle, but I am thinking about Genesis Dual Battery setup with Optimas for my rig and it's needs. What I'm looking for is some descent, dependable batteries which won't break the bank...just other's suggestions of what they like. I'll be on a 2 wk trip in Oct and the combined A-h should be more than fine along with the solar I'll get several hours a day. I will stay in improved campgrounds here and there so real electrics, via extension cord, will get me fully charged. My only constant draw will be a fridge whenever it cycles to maintain temperature. So what say you? What's your brand which will last, as long as they're properly maintained, and not cost me $350.00 a battery from the local RV or Boat stores?

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I had heard some quality and longevity issues with optimas, so I went with an Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery for my AUX (largest I can fit) and a Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery for my main starter battery. (upgrade from stock size). With my Traxide D3-BS land rover kit, but its SC-80 based isolator.

And, for a rig that isn't used all the time, get a shore power setup (boat speak)... plug it in when not in use. My rig sits all the time (not daily driver) so I keep it plugged in to maintain my batteries. I use a CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger . It has supply mode which just outputs a fixed voltage, and also normal battery maintenance/charge mode that is more clever. It also has enough umph* to charge big batteries and recondition things if I need. Also nice to be able to leave the fridge on and not worry about draining it.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
You said "two yellow-top Optimas", is what you are currently looking at. You also mentioned you have calculated you Ah requirements. May I suggest, that you look at larger Marine deep cycle batteries. It is often cheaper to get a single, larger Marine battery, then two deep cycle. These are designed to be house batteries, just your intended use case, in the trailer.

Another alternative is to look at cheep golf cart batteries. These can be used in series/parallel to provide whatever number of Ah needed. More wiring, that needs to be calculated in the total cost. Increasing your Ah capacity is easier, if your needs increase down the road.

I wouldn't skimp on your converter/charger/monitor. I would get a one with a three or four stage charger. This will greatly enhance the usability and life of your battery(s).

I hope these suggestions are useful.

Darrell Dunn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crowley, Texas
Member #

You said "two yellow-top Optimas", is what you are currently looking at. You also mentioned you have calculated you Ah requirements. May I suggest, that you look at larger Marine deep cycle batteries. It is often cheaper to get a single, larger Marine battery, then two deep cycle. These are designed to be house batteries, just your intended use case, in the trailer.

Another alternative is to look at cheep golf cart batteries. These can be used in series/parallel to provide whatever number of Ah needed. More wiring, that needs to be calculated in the total cost. Increasing your Ah capacity is easier, if your needs increase down the road.

I wouldn't skimp on your converter/charger/monitor. I would get a one with a three or four stage charger. This will greatly enhance the usability and life of your battery(s).

I hope these suggestions are useful.
Yeah...thought about the 4 golf cart batteries. The only thing would be the extra wiring to get them in parallel. Still looking at this option though.

Darrell Dunn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crowley, Texas
Member #

I had heard some quality and longevity issues with optimas, so I went with an Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery for my AUX (largest I can fit) and a Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery for my main starter battery. (upgrade from stock size). With my Traxide D3-BS land rover kit, but its SC-80 based isolator.

And, for a rig that isn't used all the time, get a shore power setup (boat speak)... plug it in when not in use. My rig sits all the time (not daily driver) so I keep it plugged in to maintain my batteries. I use a CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger . It has supply mode which just outputs a fixed voltage, and also normal battery maintenance/charge mode that is more clever. It also has enough umph* to charge big batteries and recondition things if I need. Also nice to be able to leave the fridge on and not worry about draining it.
Everything in my trailer electric box is marine grade. Just trying to decide what batteries to finally go with. If it was my rig I wouldn't scrimp. But seeing it's a trailer I may go cheaper...not totally cheap though!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I like mobility, and want to be able to use the setup in or out of the vehicle. I'm considering one of the Goal Zero Yeti Lithium. I will add their solor panels for base camp setup. It's over priced, and you could build better piece parts. I do like the simplicity of the purchase. You get discount on Goal Zero for being a "Leave No Trace" member.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'm in the hunt for batteries also. So far the consensus here are Oddessy and X2 Power. I read that Bosch also has a deep cycle AGM battery for half the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Andrew St. Pierre-White just put out a video about his new cruiser that he's building for Australia, and in it he talks about a new battery that he has chosen. I believe it is a lead-crystal deep cycle batter that allows you to use nearly all of your AH because it has very low sulfation properties, so you can really drain them down. He starts talking about it at around the 3:30 mark

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Plain old $100 interstate deep cycle from Costco for me. Mine is only used for the fridge and it works great for that. I just replace the old one after 2+ years of use.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Darrell Dunn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crowley, Texas
Member #

Plain old $100 interstate deep cycle from Costco for me. Mine is only used for the fridge and it works great for that. I just replace the old one after 2+ years of use.

Brother...you get what I'm asking about. If I'm buying for my rig, I'm going large. I'm looking for my trailer. I'll only be power a fridge and some limited LED lights and water pump. I currently have a 5 year old Autozone brand boat battery I keep on 2 by 4s and a slow trickle...works "A" okay during lake season. With that said it'll crap out this winter! What I'll do is just but two $100 batteries and run them in parallel then call it quits. I know if you take care of your equipment, it'll work for a long time. Just wanted some thoughts before I selected 11!

Reactions: 000

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Brother...you get what I'm asking about. If I'm buying for my rig, I'm going large. I'm looking for my trailer. I'll only be power a fridge and some limited LED lights and water pump. I currently have a 5 year old Autozone brand boat battery I keep on 2 by 4s and a slow trickle...works "A" okay during lake season. With that said it'll crap out this winter! What I'll do is just but two $100 batteries and run them in parallel then call it quits. I know if you take care of your equipment, it'll work for a long time. Just wanted some thoughts before I selected 11!
I almost went with the spendy batteries and after some advice from a friend who tried the fancy batteries with the same setup in his rig and had more experience using them how I was planning on using them, I ended up going with cheaper and easier to warranty batteries. And since Costco is everywhere here i can replace it on while on a trip if necessary. I'm good with spending $100 every 2 years if it lasts a day over the warranty. I charge mine with a smart charger before and after every trip since alternators don't fully charge a battery and they like to be stored full. I'm thinking about getting a flexopower solar panel which should run the fridge during the day and send excess power like between cooling cycles to the battery for nighttime use. Right now I'm getting a 2-3 days with average weather on my fridge without starting the truck which is as long as I am ever in one spot, but the ability to stay put longer in hot weather would be a nice option.

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Wow! I had just viewed the video from stpierre. Searched Crystal...nothing but negative info,bashing of sellers etc. Nothing like batteries to stir the opinion pot. This is when Costco and a hundred bucks just seems easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 000

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I run two group 31 AGM Penn batteries, they also make, Dekka, Duracell, West Marine, just a different sticker on the battery, You can get them at Sams, Battery Plus for around $200 each, I charge them with a ACR battery link that is connected to the trucks alt. , or a 20A Xantrex Marine charger with shore power or a 125W solar panel. I have had very good luck with these batteries.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I out two Deka Intimidators in the Xterra. Fantastic batteries. I run a T-Max controller and have never had any issues at all. I put a cheap Canadian Tire Coleman solar controller in as well, and use a 75 watt panel to keep the batteries charged while camping.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk