You can't find good help these days...

• HTML tutorial

The B.A.D

Rank 0

Traveler I

So Tiffany is broke again...

Its a long story but this local shop replaced my rear diff bearings, but they forgot to put the caliper bolts in all the way when they buttoned it up. One of the bolts fell out which caused the caliper to wedge itself up against the wheel, which wore a ring into the metal, which eventually cracked, which left me stranded.

So I take the truck back to the guy... this is the third time (the other two were because I paid him to replace a rear main and oil pan gasket but he failed the first time...and the second time because oil is still leaking) and this time he says my pinion bearing is also loose.. cool dude, can you fix? He says yes and takes the truck.

I get the truck back, it feels a little weird but I can't put my finger on it. I drive it around doing my real estate thing all over Temecula and no problems. I get on the free way and head north and in about an hour I lose third gear and get a message saying transmission overheat...

This is where I use the crying emoji with the gun pointed at my head BUT I CAN'T thank you iphone and your stupid squirt gun!!! :rage:

How much would anyone care to wager that the mechanic overtightened the pinion bearing and the added stress caused the transmission to overheat???? I'm pretty sure I'm right to because I put the truck in neutral and tried spinning the drive shaft by hand but its really tight...like really tight. IMG_3731-1.JPG

Attachments

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

Dang, that definitely sucks. Let us know if that's the cause, I'm curious to know.

In my opinion I would find a different shop, but best of luck and hopefully it isn't too bad!

Reactions: The B.A.D

The B.A.D

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks I will. I really don't trust the guys work at all but I'd sure like him to fix it for free. Not holding my breath though

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

So Tiffany is broke again...

Its a long story but this local shop replaced my rear diff bearings, but they forgot to put the caliper bolts in all the way when they buttoned it up. One of the bolts fell out which caused the caliper to wedge itself up against the wheel, which wore a ring into the metal, which eventually cracked, which left me stranded.

So I take the truck back to the guy... this is the third time (the other two were because I paid him to replace a rear main and oil pan gasket but he failed the first time...and the second time because oil is still leaking) and this time he says my pinion bearing is also loose.. cool dude, can you fix? He says yes and takes the truck.

I get the truck back, it feels a little weird but I can't put my finger on it. I drive it around doing my real estate thing all over Temecula and no problems. I get on the free way and head north and in about an hour I lose third gear and get a message saying transmission overheat...

This is where I use the crying emoji with the gun pointed at my head BUT I CAN'T thank you iphone and your stupid squirt gun!!! :rage:

How much would anyone care to wager that the mechanic overtightened the pinion bearing and the added stress caused the transmission to overheat???? I'm pretty sure I'm right to because I put the truck in neutral and tried spinning the drive shaft by hand but its really tight...like really tight. View attachment 21286
I get the fixing for free thing, but pretty soon you won't have a drive train left. Tell that dumb ass to give back your original investment and spend that money elsewhere. Tell him if he doesn't give your money back you will be all over social media giving him the worst reviews he has ever recieved.

XFZJ80X

Rank 0

Traveler I

This is why I try to do all my own work! After many years searching I did find a good mechanic. I still only go for things way over my abilities. Hope you get it all worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I get the fixing for free thing, but pretty soon you won't have a drive train left. Tell that dumb ass to give back your original investment and spend that money elsewhere. Tell him if he doesn't give your money back you will be all over social media giving him the worst reviews he has ever recieved.
Agree with this statement

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Damn man. Sounds like he better fix it and give you the money back. Id still get someone else to check it out after that if the work has been that shotty so far.

Crossing my fingers for you to get it all working again!

The B.A.D

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for the love guys! This guy is ducking me today but even if I have to drive in there and stand on his desk we need a resolution

The B.A.D

Rank 0

Traveler I

Tiffany gets to go get fixed today. The mechanic doesn't own up to it but after thinking about it more... the fact that my pinion bearing is really really tight would only work to escalate an issue that was already happening to my transmission. No different than if I had been towing. So it's time for a new transmission

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk