Yosemite to Lake Tahoe (the adventurous way)

• HTML tutorial

Wooks

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Member #

Hey guys,

It's so fun to read about all the trips people are planning for this summer. I figured I'd toss mine into the mix and hopefully motivate a few more to get out and explore! This summer I am planning a trip from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, via as much dirt as possible. A rough idea of the plan:

The trip will start on Hardin Flat Road @ 120 just outside the west gate. From there we will cross 120 and travel through the Cherry Lake area to 108.

Take 108 up to Pinecrest area (this is the longest span of highway) and jump back onto forest routes.

Forest routes across 4 and 88 to the Mormon Emigrant area. A combination of the Mormon Emigrant Trail and forest routes will get us to Sand Flat Campground on Highway 50.

From Sand Flat Campground it is a short drive to Ice House Road which will lead to Loon Lake. Now... how to get from Loon Lake to Tahoe... hrmm.... ;)

Rubicon Trail it up into Tahoma and viola, Lake Tahoe!

Here is the map if anybody is interested. It is coming out to ~250mi trip.
upload_2016-4-18_16-35-22.png

I would not call myself an experienced overlander but I have been on my fair share of these roads. This will be my first multi-day, multi-destination trip. Any advice you may have is greatly appreciated!

Rubilocal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pollock Pines Ca
Member #

Hey guys,

It's so fun to read about all the trips people are planning for this summer. I figured I'd toss mine into the mix and hopefully motivate a few more to get out and explore! This summer I am planning a trip from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, via as much dirt as possible. A rough idea of the plan:

The trip will start on Hardin Flat Road @ 120 just outside the west gate. From there we will cross 120 and travel through the Cherry Lake area to 108.

Take 108 up to Pinecrest area (this is the longest span of highway) and jump back onto forest routes.

Forest routes across 4 and 88 to the Mormon Emigrant area. A combination of the Mormon Emigrant Trail and forest routes will get us to Sand Flat Campground on Highway 50.

From Sand Flat Campground it is a short drive to Ice House Road which will lead to Loon Lake. Now... how to get from Loon Lake to Tahoe... hrmm.... ;)

Rubicon Trail it up into Tahoma and viola, Lake Tahoe!

Here is the map if anybody is interested. It is coming out to ~250mi trip.
View attachment 3160

I would not call myself an experienced overlander but I have been on my fair share of these roads. This will be my first multi-day, multi-destination trip. Any advice you may have is greatly appreciated!
Out of curiosity, which fs roads are you planning between 88 and Mormon trail? And from hwy 4? I think deer valley is closed, at least last I checked it was. Used to be you could jump from Ebbetts pass on hwy 4 over to blue lakes on 88 via Deer valley trail. Awesome trail that ran right between two wilderness areas. Sounds like a great trip, when are you planning to run it?
S

Wooks

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Member #

There is a road out the back of Sand Flat Campground that basically follows Alder Creek down to MET (or at least close to it). I believe it is called Alder Creek Rd at the front and then becomes a series of FS roads. The road on the other side is called Cat Creek Road and it connects to 88.

On the 4 to 88 leg there is a road called Lookout Rd on the 4 side and Ellis Road on the 88 side. I believe there is a FS road that connects these two somewhere around Salt Springs Reservoir.

Of course these are all just plans. Any one of these roads could be washed out, gated up or just plain wrong on the map. I figure that is all part of the adventure.

Run is planned sometime in August. With any luck I'll get a nice quarterly bonus in July (I'm in sales) and can afford a couple upgrades for the 80-series. If not, I may have to forgo the Rubicon portion till a later date.

Rubilocal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pollock Pines Ca
Member #

That sounds like a great trip, I live at the bottom of Mormon Emigrant so I may just run the lower section. I will be getting my maps out, thanks for sharing the inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk