Rank II

Enthusiast II

Washington, USA
First Name
Grayson
Last Name
Hjaltalin
Hey OB,

So I am not 100% sure where to post this but this seems to be the best location. Feel free to change! My question is, I have a Yeti 45 tundra cooler that my wife got me for Christmas which we love so far. BUT test fitting it in the back of our Cherokee it takes up about half. I thought I had seen someone secure a cooler on their roof rack so I was wondering if anyone has some advice on safely securing something like this on theirs.

Items: Yeti 45 Tundra
Roof rack: Front Runner

I was looking at Front Runners strachits which seems nice but it has some give so I'm concerned the top weight might wobble? Then I saw that Yeti has these secure straps but not sure I can mount them on the roof rack. Thoughts? I am all ears at this point. Again, it's not a huge deal, I can put it in the trunk. I just thought it would be nice to throw it up there.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

My RTIC(yeti copy) has awesome slots to feed 1” webbing through. Open the lid, slide strap through, hook securely and rachet tight. Secures the cooler while allowing access.

Reactions: First Settler

First Settler

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Washington, USA
First Name
Grayson
Last Name
Hjaltalin
Interesting okay, I also found some corner chick sets that might help too, I wonder if I could use the front runner chock sets that are made for their wolf packs for the cooler as well. Thanks for sharing!

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

The stratchits should work fine. FR also has the right angle blocks to put it in secure it. I think you'd be okay. You can also get a hitch mount or a cooler mount for the front of the vehicle, like on a surf fishing rig.

First Settler

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Washington, USA
First Name
Grayson
Last Name
Hjaltalin
Oh interesting! I’ll look those up as well. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’ll try the strachits and those corner blocks a shot. Hopefully these yetis are as sturdy as they say if it falls off the roof haha!

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Securing the cooler in not the issue. Loading it and getting to the contents will be difficult with the cooler on the roof. Why not move lighter stuff from the back of the truck to the roof? Are you four people? If not, are you folding down or removed the back seat?

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Ive found so much yeti crap on the trails. Apparenty from the volume of gear ive found ive come to the conclusion yeti is unable to be secured .
I've found tires, boats, vehicles, soda cans, etc. None of this led me to believe they weren't able to be secured. I would under the impression that people are worse than pigs.

Reactions: Itacal

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I've found tires, boats, vehicles, soda cans, etc. None of this led me to believe they weren't able to be secured. I would under the impression that people are worse than pigs.
Well i havent found any other coolers but the cheap styrofoam type everything else is yeti. I sell what yeti crap i find on ebay. Im an igloo person, they are made in texas by folks who dont hate their customers.

Reactions: Charles M

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

There are slots for 1 inch straps at either end of the cooler. Run a couple cinch straps through those and loop them around your rack. Yeti makes an actual tie down kit.

First Settler

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Washington, USA
First Name
Grayson
Last Name
Hjaltalin
Awesome! I actually looked last night as someone said their Rtic had that slot hole as well. Looks like mine does to! That will be our solution and see how things hold up. Thanks everyone on here! I appreciate the conversation.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Securing the cooler in not the issue. Loading it and getting to the contents will be difficult with the cooler on the roof. Why not move lighter stuff from the back of the truck to the roof? Are you four people? If not, are you folding down or removed the back seat?
I have to agree with First Settler ... I have a Yeti 45 and a Yeti 65, and I wouldn't want to have to wrestle to get either of them on my roof rack or off of it, especially loaded! I'd look at the baskets that fit into the rear hitch and secure it on one of those before I'd try and put one on the roof.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have to agree with First Settler ... I have a Yeti 45 and a Yeti 65, and I wouldn't want to have to wrestle to get either of them on my roof rack or off of it, especially loaded! I'd look at the baskets that fit into the rear hitch and secure it on one of those before I'd try and put one on the roof.
I would have to agree for the same reasons above plus getting in or out while on the road would be a real challenge too. Putting all that weight up high would not be good for the COG and like suggested you really want to put the lightest stuff up high and heavy stuff as low as possible. In my experience having a cooler in the wind tends to thaw them out much faster so if you can get it inside your ice will last much longer.

First Settler

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Washington, USA
First Name
Grayson
Last Name
Hjaltalin
Yeah, it looks like I won't be throwing that up there on the roof rack. I ended up getting 2x Wolf pack from FR to throw some goods in there so we will see how all that fits and iterate from there. Someone asked if there were 4 of us in the car. There will 3 + 1 dog :D haha Thanks again for everyone's advice on this. I am glad I didn't get things to start adding too much weight up there.