YETI - 2004 Discovery 2 SE7

• HTML tutorial

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

New parts have arrived, so I figured now would be a good time to start a thread on this.

My rig is a '04 SE7, meaning it has 2 extra seats and an additional air conditioning system for the back. It's 90K miles and has Arizona and Florida heritage. When I bought it early last year it looked like this:

Orig1 - 1.jpg
Orig2 - 1.jpg

My first projects were restorative - removing \ old window tint, fixing some imperfections in the leather, etc. Then I got to the off-roading prep. I started that with a Voyager roof rack, blacking out the center of the hood, an OEM brushbar and led lighting (poor and has been replaced). I also added a dog barrier in the back - because this required putting some mounts on the interior and because of the compressor for the second air conditioning system, that proved to be much more of a pain in the backside than expected. :) That stage looked like this:

Step2 - 1.jpg

More to come...

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

This brings us to the present. I have ready rock sliders with tree bars, steel bumper with built in winch tray and brush bar, new headlights and finishers, and some recovery points that will be added to the bumper. The WARN winch is on the way, as well as some floor panels for the roof rack.

For the interior I have Knightsbridge Overland tactical seat covers, complete with MOLLE attachment systems for keeping things organized and off the floor. Now I just need a little time to get to it. :)

20170504_192929.jpg

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

jhill15

Rank 0

Contributor II

Very nice! You have outfitted it well so far!!! Looking forward to seeing what else you do to it!
:subscribed:

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TGF

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Thanks man. Customizing a ride is just a ton of fun as all these threads attest to.

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

One thing I forgot to document is a shelf I built for the rear. It fits in really snug and allows the dogs to ride on top (with the doggie gate up, unlike this pic) yet to fit plenty of tools and such in the 14" underneath. The shelf is covered with spray on rubber and I cut a layer for the top out of yoga mat so it's comfy. Another thing you can sort of see in this pic is that I replaced all the interior lights with LEDs. It's like daylight in there, which is great at night when camping and for working inside the car. It's too bright for use as a map light while driving, however.

use - 1.jpg

The next thing I am doing is putting on the seat covers, so I figured I'd share some before pics now.

use - 2.jpg

use - 3.jpg

Oh, and I got a present in the mail today. Exciting. :D

use - 4.jpg

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Headlights and grill out.

use - 1 (1).jpg

Bumper off. Some very stuck bolts, but I got there.

use - 2 (1).jpg

New lights in. New bumper on loosely, but not yet aligned because I need to add the headlight finishers.

use - 3 (1).jpg

Rubber coating the headlight finishers.

use - 4 (1).jpg

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Rock slider progress. Here's the original step and with the step off - adds a ton of clearance.

Update - 1.jpg

Update - 2.jpg

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Moving right along to winch install. The front grill and the metal bar in front of the radiator needed a bit of trimming to make everything fit.
Update - 2.jpgUpdate - 1.jpg

The endpoint I am very happy with, however! Added a couple of Terrafirma swivel recovery shackles for good measure.

Update - 3.jpg

Took it to owner's day at Land Rover over the weekend. It stood out a bit in the crowd of new Rovers, but seemed to be a hit with their owners.

Update - 4.jpg

My muddy at the wheel for some nice off-roading action while his son supervises.

Update - 5.jpg

Reactions: JimSimmons

JimSimmons

Rank 0

Traveler I

looking good. How long did it take to get the Voyager roof rack. We are working on building two white 2000 SE7 identical but not interior.

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Oh cool. SE7s are pretty neat. I have had the rack for a year or so, so not exactly sure how long it took to get. Didn't seem too crazy to me at the time. That said, I have now been waiting over 2 months for a floor kit for it, which is starting to seem long.

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

New toys have arrived. Gas tank and diff guard armor (thanks for the lead @vtrover), plus a performance exhaust system. Earlier this week I installed a CB system. Seems to be working, but I have never used one before, so I guess I'll find out more when I head out wheeling with a group from NH tomorrow.

new - 1.jpg

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

how was the weekend trip? which cb did you use? is that a nrp exhaust ?
Weekend trip was great! Some more challenging stuff than experienced before - big rocks. At one point my slider did it's job.

I installed a Uniden PC78LTD with Firestick antenna. Worked like a charm, which was nice to find out.

It's a Magnaflow exhaust. We'll see how it stacks up.

I meant to ask you - what sort of limb risers did you go with? I found Bushcables in the UK, but was wondering if you had a more local option. Or perhaps you made your own?

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Great looking rig! I'd love to see more on the camping trailer. We have a small one in our sights for next spring, the idea of having a 'base camp' of sorts while we take the truck out for a night or two is very appealing to my wife (and me, won't lie). One of the single axle toy haulers or small double axle, very similar to the size you have; is what we're looking at.

Setup looks great! Handsome pup as well, we have a Golden ourselves.

Reactions: TGF

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Thanks Kyle! Do you have a field line golden or one of the fuzzy ones?

Re trailers, we are actually going back to tents, so this guy is up for sale. We enjoyed the base camp for 3 years, though!