Enthusiast III

Bellevue, TN 37221, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Goodson
Member #

Hello.

I'm wanting to mount my Yakima crossbars on my A.R.E. Camper shell, which does have the tracks already installed. I'm a tightwad and don't want to spend the money on the Yakima towers that will fit into the track. Anyone tried doing this? Would you mind sharing how you did it? If more information is required, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for all the great answers.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Probably not much difference in price, but I'm using the Rhino Rack RLT600 legs with the Yakima adapter kit and their crossbars on my ARE topper with the Yakima tracks.

agoodson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bellevue, TN 37221, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Goodson
Member #

Probably not much difference in price, but I'm using the Rhino Rack RLT600 legs with the Yakima adapter kit and their crossbars on my ARE topper with the Yakima tracks.
Actually that looks like it might be a good bit cheaper. Thanks for the info!!

Reactions: DRAX

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nope. Never tried that though I thought about it.
Instead, I bought a used Leer 180 off of Craigslist, then bought a used Trac Rac Cap Rack, also off of Craigslist.

A ladder, many measurements, painters tape, a drill and some wrenching later, I was very satisfied with the results.

20210530_160630.jpg20210524_123909.jpg

agoodson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bellevue, TN 37221, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Goodson
Member #

Looks pretty slick! I would like to utilize the existing track, so I can move the bars forward and back when needed.

I like what you did with your Mt. Washington sticker.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Looks pretty slick! I would like to utilize the existing track, so I can move the bars forward and back when needed.

I like what you did with your Mt. Washington sticker.
Yes, the only thing with my setup is that the towers (feet?) bolt directly through the shell and are not adjustable. I had seen other shells for sale on Craigslist with the tracks you mention, but it never worked out in terms of price or distance. But that's what I wanted at first. Someday...if I hit it big...I'll buy a new, color matched, with tracks, that locks with my keyfob.

Thanks. The Mt. Washington sticker is truly a traditional bumper sticker in size. The gaudynes is part of the experience! But I dont actually like to put stickers on bumpers. And indeed, I had my bumper replaced after some kid totalled thier car against it. So I like to put stickers on windows. This one was big enough to be in my line of sight almost anywhere I put it, so I thought I'd divide it to slim it out a bit.

Here we are up there:

20200801_180907.jpg20200801_180907.jpg20200801_180802.jpg20200801_180727.jpg20200802_143423.jpg