Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Im looking into getting a Yakima Lock N Load flat roof rack for my 2008 Trailblazer. Im curious if anyone has used this rack? Have they used with a RTT? Pros and Cons to the rack? Will I be able to use it on my Trailblazer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Im looking into getting a Yakima Lock N Load flat roof rack for my 2008 Trailblazer. Im curious if anyone has used this rack? Have they used with a RTT? Pros and Cons to the rack? Will I be able to use it on my Trailblazer?

Out of curiosity, why spend that much on a modular roof rack, if you're thinking about a roof top tent? Seems to me like you would lose all the functionality of that rack, which is the whole point, right?

You could likely just get some crossbars for mounting a tent, which would be considerably cheaper.

Reactions: OVRLANDnoob

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army

Out of curiosity, why spend that much on a modular roof rack, if you're thinking about a roof top tent? Seems to me like you would lose all the functionality of that rack, which is the whole point, right?

You could likely just get some crossbars for mounting a tent, which would be considerably cheaper.
Honestly I’m not sure. I’m still new to this community. My trailblazer has the roof rack stuff from the factory. I’m not exactly sure what I would need to put a RTT up there.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
You would need to put some heavy duty crossbars up there, and that's it. If you already have a tent though, I'd personally use that for a while. There are pros and cons to a roof top tent on a vehicle, and that's not taking cost into consideration.

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
You would need to put some heavy duty crossbars up there, and that's it. If you already have a tent though, I'd personally use that for a while. There are pros and cons to a roof top tent on a vehicle, and that's not taking cost into consideration.
Wow, that’s awesome that it’s that simple. Yea, I’ve already done a lot of research on the pros and cons of a RTT. I don’t plan on getting one for awhile. I don’t mind the tent on the ground.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Wow, that’s awesome that it’s that simple. Yea, I’ve already done a lot of research on the pros and cons of a RTT. I don’t plan on getting one for awhile. I don’t mind the tent on the ground.
We used a ground tent for years, until very recently getting our first rooftop tent for the trailer.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The flat racks have two major advantages, first is modular. With the T-Nuts, you can add sides, add tiedowns, add diffrent carriers and mix/match any combo. The second is low profile. Looking at the sight, it appears theirs is designed to go on top of your factory load bars. Now you sit high. If that puts your rack or your cargo into the main wind stream, you could end up with a bunch of noise. They have something under the front bar to help. I would prefer to see how well it works on your configuration. The rack will sit at diffrent heights on diffrent vehicles.

I do like that they offer generic sizes for a good price. If they have the bottom slotted also you could come up with some brackets to bolt it down to your existing holes. That would get you closer to your roof. My rack sits about an inch off mine. Most sit between one and two inch off the roof.

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The flat racks have two major advantages, first is modular. With the T-Nuts, you can add sides, add tiedowns, add diffrent carriers and mix/match any combo. The second is low profile. Looking at the sight, it appears theirs is designed to go on top of your factory load bars. Now you sit high. If that puts your rack or your cargo into the main wind stream, you could end up with a bunch of noise. They have something under the front bar to help. I would prefer to see how well it works on your configuration. The rack will sit at diffrent heights on diffrent vehicles.

I do like that they offer generic sizes for a good price. If they have the bottom slotted also you could come up with some brackets to bolt it down to your existing holes. That would get you closer to your roof. My rack sits about an inch off mine. Most sit between one and two inch off the roof.
Thank you for your input. I was also thinking that using a flat rack, the RTT may not go all the way to the windshield so I could use that space for other storage.