Rank 0

Contributor I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Kling
Member #

Recently acquired a 2nd gen 2011 Xterra.
Are there any RTT’s that would be recommended for stock roof rack?

Static weight of myself and girlfriend without tent weight would be about 400lbs

Or should I upgrade the rack?

Reactions: MoLeisurexventures

MoLeisurexventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Enoch
Last Name
Leisure
Member #

We have a smittybuilt rtt on stock rack we just had to get longer bolts to fit around the rails. We have been living in it for almost 3 months now overlanding all the National Parks. It's been great other then the condensation at below 40° weather. We have to open the windows to minimize the condensation build up at night.

Reactions: moe_sparky

moe_sparky

Rank 0

Contributor I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Kling
Member #

We have a smittybuilt rtt on stock rack we just had to get longer bolts to fit around the rails. We have been living in it for almost 3 months now overlanding all the National Parks. It's been great other then the condensation at below 40° weather. We have to open the windows to minimize the condensation build up at night.
Appreciate the input!

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Don't want to hijack this thread, but what kind of MPGs are you getting with that tent on the Xterra?

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
ALL tents should be ventilated to minimize/eliminate condensation, especially as the temperature drops. :grinning:

Most inexpensive tents made of Nylon/Rip Stop Nylon suffer in this regard, it is not a breathable material.

Having said that, I don't know what material the Smittybuilt RTT is made of.

Last edited:

MoLeisurexventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Enoch
Last Name
Leisure
Member #

Don't want to hijack this thread, but what kind of MPGs are you getting with that tent on the Xterra?
I'm getting around 17 - 18 mpg at 70 mph that being said I have a 6 speed manual. If I cruise at 60 I get closer to 20 mpg. I lost about 1 mpg at slower speeds and 2-3 mpg at higher speeds.

Reactions: Itacal

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I'm getting around 17 - 18 mpg at 70 mph that being said I have a 6 speed manual. If I cruise at 60 I get closer to 20 mpg. I lost about 1 mpg at slower speeds and 2-3 mpg at higher speeds.
I miss my 2005 six-speed manual because of exactly that ... I got, at least, 18 mpg, no matter how I drove it! I now have a 2015 Xterra automatic (bought an auto so the wife could drive it) and I get between 16-18, depending on how I drive. Once I lift it and add aftermarket bumpers, I'll be lucky if I ever see 16 mpg again.

Bugnut

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Laven
Member #

I miss my 2005 six-speed manual because of exactly that ... I got, at least, 18 mpg, no matter how I drove it! I now have a 2015 Xterra automatic (bought an auto so the wife could drive it) and I get between 16-18, depending on how I drive. Once I lift it and add aftermarket bumpers, I'll be lucky if I ever see 16 mpg again.
Wish one of mine was a manual. Both my Xs get about 16-18 regardless. Newer one has gobs more power and capability, but still same blah mileage. But I shouldn't complain, I didn't buy it for the MPG!

Re: RTT, I've been waffling between TuffStuff and Smittybuilt. Just can't commit yet! Weight seems to be well within the static range. @MoLeisurexventures, what made you go Smitty rather than all the other choices out there?

Mike

MoLeisurexventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Enoch
Last Name
Leisure
Member #

Wish one of mine was a manual. Both my Xs get about 16-18 regardless. Newer one has gobs more power and capability, but still same blah mileage. But I shouldn't complain, I didn't buy it for the MPG!

Re: RTT, I've been waffling between TuffStuff and Smittybuilt. Just can't commit yet! Weight seems to be well within the static range. @MoLeisurexventures, what made you go Smitty rather than all the other choices out there?

Mike
The thick ripstop material and price point was the main reason begin we are living it full-time.

MoLeisurexventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Enoch
Last Name
Leisure
Member #

After 3 months the I'm going to upgrade the pad with 3" memory foam mattress

[_BOONE_]

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Norway, MI, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Cherney
Member #

Hey, just wanted to comment in. I’m still super new to OB and Overlanding in general, but have always been one to off-road when I can.
I used to have a 2003 Xterra (automatic) a few years back but sadly totaled it in an accident.
I am an Xterra owner once again with a 2011 Xterra (automatic) 4x4, and am currently working on building it out (as my wallet allows). The gas mileage isn’t the greatest, but I enjoy the vehicle, so gas mileage doesn’t matter to me.. I currently have a 2.5” lift and am waiting on my fabricator for my aftermarket front and rear bumpers. So that’ll definitely add to my weight.. Goodbye low gas mileage, hello trails!

Reactions: MeHere!

[_BOONE_]

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Norway, MI, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Cherney
Member #

Recently acquired a 2nd gen 2011 Xterra.
Are there any RTT’s that would be recommended for stock roof rack?

Static weight of myself and girlfriend without tent weight would be about 400lbs

Or should I upgrade the rack?
I too drive a 2011 2nd gen Xterra 4x4.
I’m new to OB and Overlanding in general.
I’ve always camped in ground tents for primitive camping trips (via hiking).
I acquired a Tepui Kukenam RTT for a steal of a deal last summer as I ventured into exploring what “overlanding” was!.
I simply just mounted it to my stock roof rack cross bars and it seemed to be super sturdy (for the time being). I took it down for the winter to same a bit on gas and keep it out of the weather (for now), but I’m looking forward to mounting it again soon!
As I said, I’m still pretty new here, but that’s my little experience.

Bugnut

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Laven
Member #

Finally got mine - what else to do with tax returns - except maybe by the whole grocery store out of toilet paper ? :confused:

ARB, and really nice. Worked out well getting it on top of the rack. Seems really stable. And no obvious changes in handling other a faint sense of it being there. If I didn't know it was there, I just don't think I could tell. No extra sway, lean or noises.

20200328_133459~2.jpg
20200328_132918.jpg

Mike