Xterra Registry

• HTML tutorial

Darren01

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hope Mills, North Carolina
Member #

Well, plan on a 3 inch suspension lift and maybe a one inch body lift. I've never been a fan of body lifts. I'd like to be able to fit up to about a 33" tire. Get an ARB front bumper, Gobi rack and adding some fuel can storage. Extra fuel and Xterra's go hand in hand I've discovered. I'd like to come up with a rack for the cargo area and also have a fridge that's can run off of a solar setup. I thought about a roof top,tent, but then I lose the storage up top. Of course these are long term plans, I won't be getting all of this within a month.....

But, I will be changing tires early next year and putting in a good A/T tire............
Nice! You can fit 33s without a body lift. I'm running 32s under my 1st gen and I've only got a tbar crank. I have AC UCAs, Tbars, shackles and a whole bunch of other parts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

I'm also planning on a fridge and solar setup. And eventually want a dual battery setup but there's not a lot of room in that engine bay.

Great to see fellow 1st gens building their rigs. I wish they were more popular!

BigRobVa

Rank I

Contributor III

Virginia
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Robinson
How much did y'all pay for your xterras ? I really like them and I'm seriously thinking about buying one

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ElPincheGuero4

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cohoes NY 12047
Member #

How much did y'all pay for your xterras ? I really like them and I'm seriously thinking about buying one

Got my 07 with 148k at auction for 4500 tax title and registered Try to get one with an e locker if you don’t plan on installing air lockers right away…

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I paid just under 28K with 4 miles on mine. Took about 3-4 months to build how she sits now. I was planning on going with a 4runner, but for the price they were asking it was nuts. Even with everything I have done, Im still under what Mark Miller Toyota quoted me for the 4runner. There is plus and minus's to everything. Xterras heavily modded are few and far between, but when you see one, it draws attention. I get asked questions and stuff all the time. After market parts a harder to find for the X's since they aren't as common as say Jeeps where you can find something every few blocks in a big city. Xterras do not have the cult like following as Toyotas, and to be honest, I think the new ones are overrated off the legacy of the old one, but they are nothing like the old ones. But opinions are like A holes, everyone has one and some think others stinks....

That being said, they are great little rigs, can be found for good prices used, even when you could get one new, they were a dam good value for what you got. A few things to watch out for SMOD, Strawberry Milkshake Of Death, IE, radiator leaks into tranny cooler, contaminating tranny and costing you big time. The easy way to get around this... get a manual. No tranny cooler. If auto, check the radiator data and upgrade as needed. But check for prior early warning signs first.

Rear leafs go flat fast, cats are a problem spot, but the X generally just works.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

This would be awesome, but unfortunately my dogs ride in back of my rig on a weekly basis, so this wouldn't work for me. :(
Do your dogs join you on the trail? If not, it only takes a minute to take out or put back in. You could leave it out when the dogs are with you, and put it back in when hitting the trails.

Fueltilities

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado
Member #

Can anyone in this thread post some pics of a 2nd gen with 2-2.5" of lift and a true 31x10.5R15 tire size? This will be my next step, but I want to make sure the lift to tire size ratio doesn't look too awkward. Also, to those running 32's.. How badly did it affect mpg and power? This would be my only real reason for not getting 32's, along with maybe having to re-gear.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Can anyone in this thread post some pics of a 2nd gen with 2-2.5" of lift and a true 31x10.5R15 tire size? This will be my next step, but I want to make sure the lift to tire size ratio doesn't look too awkward. Also, to those running 32's.. How badly did it affect mpg and power? This would be my only real reason for not getting 32's, along with maybe having to re-gear.
2nd Gen X's run 16" wheels not 15" . There are not any 15" wheels that will clear the front brake calipers. You can easily run 265/75-16s without lifting or re gearing. That size comes stock on the Pro4X, Here is a pic of my rig with approx. 1.8" of lift in front and 1.5" out back and the stock tires (which are the equivalent of 32").

037.JPG

Reactions: AdventureRider81

cseuler

Rank 0

Traveler I

2nd Gen X's run 16" wheels not 15" . There are not any 15" wheels that will clear the front brake calipers. You can easily run 265/75-16s without lifting or re gearing. That size comes stock on the Pro4X, Here is a pic of my rig with approx. 1.8" of lift in front and 1.5" out back and the stock tires (which are the equivalent of 32").

View attachment 39610
Very nice. What lift are you running? I have an 09 Off Road. Still trying to decide which direction to go on suspension.

Fueltilities

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado
Member #

My bad on the wheels. I currently have 265x75R16's on my XTerra right now, but that's what came on it when I bought it (used). I guess I was under the impression a true 31x10.5 would enhance the look more but there's probably hardly any difference. So do guys that run 32's run into any power or ABS issues? Or having to re-gear? I guess since the Pro-4X comes with 31's stock one bump in size shouldn't matter much.

Edit:
Any advice on 2-2.5" lifts is appreciated. I was looking at the Rough Country 2.5" lift with the struts and shackles.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I have a decently modded X. Radflo extended travel with 650lbs springs and 0.5" top spacers, SPC control arms for @3" lift. Alcan 2.5" +600lb with PRG shackles and radflo shocks in the rear about 4" lift. With factory tires, it was missing something, its like hitting the gym and not working the legs for a few months...

Upgrade the tires to 285/75/16 (@33") with a little offset and you have something.

I'm pretty much done for a bit, but I'm piecing together a titan swap, which will push it up a little, body lift, then 35s and a few other things. Still on factory gearing which being the pro4X is 3.69 with the M226. When I do the titan swap I will jump to 4.56, but that is a good 2 years out. But for what I have now, I'm happy.

Yes you will notice the larger tires, I pulled the front and rear sway bar within the first 3 weeks of owning the rig (under 1000 miles on the odometer), so yes I notice the body roll, if I hit a turn on the freeway too fast the traction control light kicks on and I loose power a little more, this occurs more when the tent is up top and fully loaded. But just remember your driving an off road rig, not a sport car. Don't expect it to operate the same, enjoy the ride, don't speed from A to B, and take in the views.