Georgia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Bangs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4ISQ
Hi everyone, I'm new to overlanding and I'm trying to choose between a 2nd gen Nissan Xterra and a Landrover lr3 (or previous model).
No rock crawling. Basic long distance overlanding and daily driver.
I love both but the Landrover has more aftermarket parts available and I can actually find one with much lower mileage than an Xterra.
However, I hear they are very unreliable.

Any input?

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Landrover: Making owners into mechanics for over sixty years

Personally, I would steer well clear of land rovers. Nissan is a far better choice.

However, there was a period where Xterras were made with a serious defect in the transmission. Steer clear of 2005-2010 models of Xterra, as they have a defect where coolant leaks into the transmission causing catastrophic failure around 90,000 miles.

Newer than that, you should be fine.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

Honestly, I had heard about how "unreliable" the LRs can be too, but after dealing getting underneath my DII and talking to my local euro mechanic, they are about as cheap as a euro car gets on maintenance. his example was the people that have issues with their 3 series BMWs are paying way more for parts and labor than I will if I bring my DII to him, of course he added "except if its a stupid head gasket." hahaha. But I plan on doing as much of the work as I can by myself.

Knowing what I know now, I would absolutely go LR.

AA

Reactions: Bangschr

Bangschr

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Georgia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Bangs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4ISQ

Personally, I would steer well clear of land rovers. Nissan is a far better choice.

However, there was a period where Xterras were made with a serious defect in the transmission. Steer clear of 2005-2010 models of Xterra, as they have a defect where coolant leaks into the transmission causing catastrophic failure around 90,000 miles.

That's right about the Xterras. It was an issue with the transmission coolant lines running through the radiator and leaking basically ruining the transmission. It's a cheap and easy fix so I'm not too worried about that. I would honesty just replace the radiator when I bought it.

Bangschr

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Georgia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Bangs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4ISQ
I agree that they are not "terribly" expensive vs. other European cars to repair. However, as a daily driver nothing pisses you off more than hopping in and it not starting or having a problem. I am in SouthEast so not terribly concerning but if I had been using that LR in some really remote areas there would have been some apprehension every time I stuck the key in ignition. Plus, I am not even getting into electrical quirks, leaks, etc...
So far it sounds like the Xterra is better.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I think the Land Rover is a viable option, but you need to find one that’s been well maintained with an eye toward reliability and cared for. They have a hefty maintenance schedule, which needs to be attended to with quality parts and fluids.

Mine was CHEAP but I’ve already tripled the initial cost with parts purchased, mostly to catch up on years of deferred maintenance. Kept in good condition and in near stock form they will go just about anywhere.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

I think the Land Rover is a viable option, but you need to find one that’s been well maintained with an eye toward reliability and cared for. They have a hefty maintenance schedule, which needs to be attended to with quality parts and fluids.

Mine was CHEAP but I’ve already tripled the initial cost with parts purchased, mostly to catch up on years of deferred maintenance. Kept in good condition and in near stock form they will go just about anywhere.
I agree with this and think its key! I have double my initial money on parts, fluids, etc, but thats because it was SO neglected before. If found in stock condition, well maintained, I would still go LR over Xterra for the engineering on the suspension, 4WD system, etc...

Gpschef

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I have owned 2 xterras! First one was a 2001 and had it for 11 years. No issues what so ever! 2nd xterra is a 2012 and no issues(knock on wood). They are were daily drivers and light off-roading! Towed jet skis and off-roading in northern MN and South Dakota! Plenty off room for camping equipment and a60 lbs dog and wife! Yes I do like my xterras!

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

As an ASE master technician first and land rover discovery owner second this statement is very true. Have some general mechanical background and it's great. If that's not you no biggie, buy a jk/jl/fzj/xj/zj/yj/xterra [emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]

NashvilleKara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Kara
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I love my Xterra for both. She can handle a pretty decent rut and beautifully on the highway. Maintenance is inexpensive. Honestly, I love my Xterra. @Airmapper has some mods that I plan to copy in the near future and ours could hang with some pretty nice rigs recently. Never driven a Land Rover tbh, but I don't plan to switch either. Mine is a 2011. Not even a Pro 4x

Attachments

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

Way more space in the lr3. Way more comfort and refinement in the lr3. More power in the lr3. Way less "leave you stranded" potential with the Xterra. More suspension upgrade possibilities with the Xterra, from what I've researched. As nice as the air suspension is in the lr3, if an air strut fails you could just be buggered, sitting on the bump stop, and calling for a tow. More rim and tire size options on the Xterra. As far as I know, the largest tire size you can get for the lr3 is ~34" because of the rim size (18" I'm pretty sure) which can't be any smaller (without ridiculous brake mods) because of the diameter of the factory rotors

Bangschr

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Georgia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Bangs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4ISQ
You guys are all awesome!
I've decided to go with the Xterra because of reliability and I want something unique.
I'll buy a Landrover in the future.

Now starts the process of selecting one.
Thanks for the input. I'll start a build thread when I get started.