XJ Build Underway

• HTML tutorial

Crissco83

Rank II

Enthusiast I

So after many months and many conversations with my soon to be 16 year old son, we decided on a 1998 XJ. We, for the most part, found a platform with good “bones”. I wasn’t going there to give it a once over and relies on his, my wife’s, and the seller’s comments. Let’s just say there are some wiring issues ahead to be remedied once I’m home. If there is anyone out there with a XJ I would love to hear input on the directions you have gone with ur build. I tried finding a good build thread here but I’m new and have not got a good grasp on the forum yet. Thank you in advance and happy exploring! (Oh and if the XJ looks small it’s because my son is 6’8” haha).

Attachments

9nick4

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

Good choice on an XJ. Ive had mine for several years and looking to pick up another one very soon. Stay up on maintenance and you'll get alot of life out of the 4.0l, mine has 276k and going strong. Exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking around the collector. Alot of electrical issues stem from dirty or corroded grounds. Most common around the ECM but clean and check all. My setup is more an overland/DD rig 4.5 lift with 33s. I switch to 31s when I hit trails for better flex. I can get you specs and pictures if you'd like. Ive done alot to my xj and plan to only keep going haha

Reactions: VJarman

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

It looks like you're off to a good start. The first thing I would do is get to know it, use it and gain trust in it. There are a lot of seemingly mundane mechanical, electrical, cooling, etc. things you can go over that won't always seem exciting but they are when you know they're done right.

There are a few XJ specific forums you might want to look in to. The one I enjoy the most is ... Jeep Cherokee Forum .

Oh ... and you might want t move the driver's seat back a bit. :blush:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It looks like you're off to a good start. The first thing I would do is get to know it, use it and gain trust in it. There are a lot of seemingly mundane mechanical, electrical, cooling, etc. things you can go over that won't always seem exciting but they are when you know they're done right.

There are a few XJ specific forums you might want to look in to. The one I enjoy the most is ... Jeep Cherokee Forum .

Oh ... and you might want t move the driver's seat back a bit. :blush:
Don’t forget NAXJA

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Don’t forget NAXJA
I got the "membership has its advantages" attitude when I asked a simple question about how to delete a double post. When I looked into the cost I realized that a good part of it went toward trail projects in the US. That was of no advantage to International members so I decided not to join it.

Crissco83

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Thanks guys for the comments. A few specs on why I jumped on this XJ are as follows: new engine w/9k miles (not rebuilt), replaced transmission with 100k miles (XJ body has 265k miles in it), quality front winch bumper with good clearance, rear quarter armor and door armor, brand newish warn 8k winch, roof rack, and an extra set of m/t 10x15 wheels, and bushwhacker fender flares. That being said, it came with a 3” skyjacker lift with an add a leaf but previous owner said it had been on there for about 5 years and lawd is it noticeable. Shocks are worn/shot, leafs almost flat and springs idk yet but seem to have some sag. This is a project and I’ve already order a new 3” lift with complete leaf replacement and shocks. I’ve got the big 7 cable replacement at home waiting, and I have been ordering all the rubber (bushings and such).

One big concern i have that the previous owner sprang on us at purchase time is that the ac compressor is hard wired to the battery and turn on with a toggle switch in the cab‍♂. One minor rust hole under front passenger seat on the bottom (Will pull carpet when I finally get home to make sure no rust through). Also Ball joints, adjustable track bar, and new beefier tie rod waiting. Its a project I’m dying to start with my son.

Attachments

9nick4

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

Sorry for the long delay. Here are a few pics of my rig. Ive got a thread on my jeep but ive not updated it in a while, im not sure how I can send you a link to it. If you'd like more details or anything let me know. Ive also got a rear storage box I made with 2 drawers.

4.5 lift
33x12.50r15
Locker in the rear with disc brake conversion

Attachments

9nick4

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

Sorry for the long delay. Here are a few pics of my rig. Ive got a thread on my jeep but ive not updated it in a while, im not sure how I can send you a link to it. If you'd like more details or anything let me know. Ive also got a rear storage box I made with 2 drawers.

4.5 lift
33x12.50r15
Locker in the rear with disc brake conversion
No idea why those pics uploaded blurry. Sorry!