Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Englewood, CO, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Got some X-Bull traction boards but needed a way to mount them. So I went to Home Depot and got some aluminium flat bar, threaded inserts for my unistrut roof rails and the necessary hardware to put everything together. The hardest part was the cutting and drilling, but it wasn't too bad. Price of the boards were about $60 and the mounting system was about $45. Worth it, in my opinion. Everything fits nice and tight. Currently working on a locking system but I'll keep you all posted.

Attachments

Carter

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Shelby Charter Township, MI, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Dude I really like it!!! Great job. Been trying to find a better way to mount mine. However, I'm looking to go vertical and find a way to lock them in place. But this a great for me to build off of. Thanks.

Reactions: The Caped Baldy

Carter

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Not vertical but does lock them in place. 2 Stainless all threads welded to plate which is secured to roof rack. All threads go through existing holes in boards. Thread knobs screw down to secure boards in place. Each all thread has two holes to allow small lock. One hole at height for 2 boards installed. Second hole at height for 4 boards installed. I have two of these assemblies, one for each end of the boards.
040BB502-7BD3-4500-B733-BC1C6CC6CC2B.jpeg
D0FF1F06-8703-4FE0-B4B8-A54780C990C0.jpeg

Last edited:

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Got some X-Bull traction boards but needed a way to mount them. So I went to Home Depot and got some aluminium flat bar, threaded inserts for my unistrut roof rails and the necessary hardware to put everything together. The hardest part was the cutting and drilling, but it wasn't too bad. Price of the boards were about $60 and the mounting system was about $45. Worth it, in my opinion. Everything fits nice and tight. Currently working on a locking system but I'll keep you all posted.
Nice job!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I wound up not using the aluminum. It was overly complicated and doubled my price to 4 mounts. I instead only used 2 mounts and ran them through opposite corners. I zip tied the boards together too as added security.

Reactions: Carter

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Well, I guess my pictures never attached to the previous message. View attachment 170205View attachment 170206View attachment 170207
SIMPLE, and by using a vertical mount, your basket is fully open for other uses. Could you use a lock type 'KNOB' instead for more security? Another aspect of your design is the ease of doubling it on the other side for true 4 wheel extraction while you maintain your rack space. :grinning:

Good job, and a heck of a lot cheaper than the big boys want for their mounting sytems:disappointed:

Reactions: Carter

Carter

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Carter
Member #

SIMPLE, and by using a vertical mount, your basket is fully open for other uses. Could you use a lock type 'KNOB' instead for more security? Another aspect of your design is the ease of doubling it on the other side for true 4 wheel extraction while you maintain your rack space. :grinning:

Good job, and a heck of a lot cheaper than the big boys want for their mounting sytems:disappointed:
I thought about that but if you notice the bolt does not come out all they way. Right now I am still in testing phase. There is actually a locking nut ahead of the knob on the bolt in case the knobs come off and I lose the board. I didn't want to go with a bolt that stuck to far out, as I have a Subaru(so not that tall) and I am accident prone on hitting my head on things. Further up on this thread there is an image of a guy drilling a hole through the bold and just using a padlock. That was something I am considering. But I've had it on for like two weeks now and no one has even touched it. I may just risk not "locking" it down.

Reactions: Desert Runner