Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

There’s a long thread floating around on here about them, seems that most people have positive experience with them.

I have 2 sets and they are very solid. But I haven’t had a need to use them yet so no personal experience.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I've been looking at these for awhile as well. At $90'ish, they're almost just taking the plunge and trying them out. Most of what I've read and watched on them has been pretty positive as well.

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Ordered mine off of ebay, $65. Shipped quickly, seem like decent quality. Theyre heavy feeling, plastic feels thick and like it could handle the job. They dont stack together super tight but they do stack together.

S

SubeeBen

Ordered 2 sets but I haven’t been a situation where I have had to use them. Unfortunately . They seem very solid & well built but for the price over other manufacturers if they only work once I’m ok with that. Just my 2 cents

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Here's the X-Bull mega-thread where we have all discussed our experiences of them. The thread includes some photos and measurements as well for those wondering how thick they stack

X-Bull Recovery Tracks...another inexpensive alternative

The TLDR of that thread is that they are absolutely worth it - for the 10T version at least, i'm not sure if anybody has tried the 5T version yet. I have one set of 10 tons that I have used in all sorts of situations and they work great. I've even bridged with them

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Here's the X-Bull mega-thread where we have all discussed our experiences of them. The thread includes some photos and measurements as well for those wondering how thick they stack

X-Bull Recovery Tracks...another inexpensive alternative

The TLDR of that thread is that they are absolutely worth it - for the 10T version at least, i'm not sure if anybody has tried the 5T version yet. I have one set of 10 tons that I have used in all sorts of situations and they work great. I've even bridged with them
Brien, thanks for that link. Sounds like you've had quite a bit of use with yours, and you're happy with them. Can't go wrong for $90.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I really liked the x-bull set I used, and they worked fine for the purpose of getting a new Cadillac Escalade (2wd) off of wet grass lol. Where the maxtrax got my cash was the ability to stack 4, stay under my height requirement for my parking garage, and not take up more space than necessary on my rack.

I may very well go with them for the bus, but with it’s 107” long rack and no need for a rooftop tent it’s got a lot more real estate up top to use.

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I really liked the x-bull set I used, and they worked fine for the purpose of getting a new Cadillac Escalade (2wd) off of wet grass lol. Where the maxtrax got my cash was the ability to stack 4, stay under my height requirement for my parking garage, and not take up more space than necessary on my rack.

I may very well go with them for the bus, but with it’s 107” long rack and no need for a rooftop tent it’s got a lot more real estate up top to use.
I agree. The one thing I don’t like about them is how high a set of 4 stacks. I was going to mount them on top of my Plano recovery gear case permanently, which is mounted on my roof rack. But after mocking that up, the stack of 4 on top of a Plano case sat higher than my RTT.

Fine for my purposes, because my solution is just leaving them in the garage and strapping them somewhere on the roof rack or on top of other stuff when we go on a trip, and leaving them off the rest of the time. But if I were doing more long term or full time trips where I wanted a long term sustainable mounting solution for 4, I would actually consider spending the money on maxtrax solely because of how well they stack and mount.