Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
images.jpg
Checking in for Wyoming state.
So far, there's only a few of us, mostly because there's not that many of us!

My goal is to explore and document every dirt road in the state.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Wyoming rocks! We've done some fantasy western Outlaw research trips throughout Wyoming, places like Hole-in-the-Wall, Atlantic City, South Pass City, etc. I love Wyoming!

JKChad

Rank 0

Contributor II

Worked in Sheridan Wyoming for a couple of months back in 2013. Had such a great time in that little town and exploring out in the Big Horn NF on the weekends. Did all kinds of service/fire road loops. I was sorta limited on where I could go cause I was 1400miles from home and drove my wife's VW Tiguan to save gas on the trip, instead of my Jeep.. stupid stupid logic. Lol.. can't wait to get back out there in the next few years!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Looks like I bump the OB member count in Wyoming up to 9! I'm on the far west side of the state, right on the line actually. In fact, you can only access my town from Teton Valley, Idaho. Either way, hope to see more of us on here soon!

P1133431.jpg

Reactions: Steve

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Alta area? We came through Driggs two yours ago and it was a beautiful area. I could live there!
Alta exactly! Yeah, it's a great place to live, can't imagine calling anywhere else home now. I see you're from OH. I'm from northern Ohio originally. Grew up in Russell township near Chagrin Falls.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Worked in Sheridan Wyoming for a couple of months back in 2013. Had such a great time in that little town and exploring out in the Big Horn NF on the weekends. Did all kinds of service/fire road loops. I was sorta limited on where I could go cause I was 1400miles from home and drove my wife's VW Tiguan to save gas on the trip, instead of my Jeep.. stupid stupid logic. Lol.. can't wait to get back out there in the next few years!
Hopefully you were able to visit TenSleep while you were there. We saw a few Moose last summer up there.

Wyoming rocks! We've done some fantasy western Outlaw research trips throughout Wyoming, places like Hole-in-the-Wall, Atlantic City, South Pass City, etc. I love Wyoming!
South pass in a cool little town. Population "about 5". We plan to go gold panning there this summer.

Looks like I bump the OB member count in Wyoming up to 9! I'm on the far west side of the state, right on the line actually. In fact, you can only access my town from Teton Valley, Idaho. Either way, hope to see more of us on here soon!
Dana, your view is absolutely beautiful! Its images like that that will keep me in Wyoming for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Dana Ramos

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hopefully you were able to visit TenSleep while you were there. We saw a few Moose last summer up there.
When we were heading home from Cody in October 2015, we went through Ten Sleep. Instead of going across the Bighorn Mountains to Sheridan, we turned south at Greybull. Then our GPS offered a shorter route, leaving Rt 20 at Manderson, and taking Rt 31 to Ten Sleep. Rt 31 is basically a farm road, and it was an awesome drive! That GPS has often sent us on some out of the way routes, but this had to be one of the best.

We didn't stop in Ten Sleep, having to get overt mountains before dark. Later I found there was a brewery in town, and wished we'd stayed in town instead of hiring on to Buffalo.

The drive over the Bighorns on Rt 16 was amazing, with all the big meadows and vistas. Again, I wish we'd had tome to explore the many side roads, but it was pitch dark by the time we left the national forest. This is definitely an area we want to come back to and stay longer. In our two cross-country trips, Wyoming has been the best hidden gem, and a wonderful surprise for us. I'd move there in a minute, but Deb's not so keen on the idea.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
When we were heading home from Cody in October 2015, we went through Ten Sleep. Instead of going across the Bighorn Mountains to Sheridan, we turned south at Greybull. Then our GPS offered a shorter route, leaving Rt 20 at Manderson, and taking Rt 31 to Ten Sleep. Rt 31 is basically a farm road, and it was an awesome drive! That GPS has often sent us on some out of the way routes, but this had to be one of the best.

We didn't stop in Ten Sleep, having to get overt mountains before dark. Later I found there was a brewery in town, and wished we'd stayed in town instead of hiring on to Buffalo.

The drive over the Bighorns on Rt 16 was amazing, with all the big meadows and vistas. Again, I wish we'd had tome to explore the many side roads, but it was pitch dark by the time we left the national forest. This is definitely an area we want to come back to and stay longer. In our two cross-country trips, Wyoming has been the best hidden gem, and a wonderful surprise for us. I'd move there in a minute, but Deb's not so keen on the idea.
If you ever get a chance to return, look me up. there's a place waiting for you and yours.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

If you ever get a chance to return, look me up. there's a place waiting for you and yours.
I see now that you are in near Thermopolis, so we've passed you both north and south. The above mentioned trip through Ten Sleep heading east in October 2015, and then westbound in September 2016 on 80, staying south of you in Rawlings, then taking 191 north at Rock Springs. We had considered heading north from Rawlings, heading into Grant Teton NP, but again, the timing was off, so we took the Interstate.

We want to get back and explore the Wind River area, which is just south of you. I just finished reading Craig Johnson's The Highwayman a couple of weeks ago, which occurs along the valley road.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I see now that you are in near Thermopolis, so we've passed you both north and south. The above mentioned trip through Ten Sleep heading east in October 2015, and then westbound in September 2016 on 80, staying south of you in Rawlings, then taking 191 north at Rock Springs. We had considered heading north from Rawlings, heading into Grant Teton NP, but again, the timing was off, so we took the Interstate.

We want to get back and explore the Wind River area, which is just south of you. I just finished reading Craig Johnson's The Highwayman a couple of weeks ago, which occurs along the valley road.
Think I may order that. Looks like a good read. Always been a fan of old western novels.

U.S. Route 20 is pretty cool. Most people thing of Route 66 when thinking about old highways. But, Route 20 is longer and older. In September we traveled this highway from Thermopolis to Michigan. I loved it. I a lot of history along that road. Nice to get off the Interstates.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Nice to get off the Interstates.
Yep! Last October we made it from Bellingham, Washington to Sandusky, Ohio only on Interstate from Pendleton, OR to SLC, UT, and about 50 miles around St Louis, MO. Everything else was backroads, and a couple hundred old gravel roads (Old US 40.)

ExpTheUnknown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Liberty Park, 07305, Hudson County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Chavers
Member #

Hello everyone! Checking in from Omaha Nebraska but am trying to make some plans for late July to west Wyoming. I'm planning on driving to Denver or Cheyenne to pick up the ole lady from the airport and then want to explore Jackson and Yellowstone, and some things in between the airport and those places. Looking for awesome spots to camp and explore/ see things that many haven't. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we plan to do a 5-6 day trip with a hotel stay for a night or two in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Hello everyone! Checking in from Omaha Nebraska but am trying to make some plans for late July to west Wyoming. I'm planning on driving to Denver or Cheyenne to pick up the ole lady from the airport and then want to explore Jackson and Yellowstone, and some things in between the airport and those places. Looking for awesome spots to camp and explore/ see things that many haven't. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we plan to do a 5-6 day trip with a hotel stay for a night or two in the middle.

Head east from the airport. Go out to the Gros Ventre wilderness and camp out that way. Just drove out of there this morning and it's all clear for snow for quite a ways. Beautiful scenery and great camping. You won't be disappointed. Of course Grand Teton is awesome too but could be crowded. Ooooo Shadow MTN is awesome. And right by the airport. Hit me up if you want more suggestions. I might even be able to show you around if we aren't busy.

Edit: I just remembered a couple other spots that are good for camping in Grand Teton: Pacific Creek Rd near the Moran entrance which turns into Forest Service a little ways in. There's dispersed camping back there. Also, Ashton-Flagg Ranch Rd, aka Grassy Lake Rd, in John D Rockefeller Jr Memorial Parkway just between GTNP and YNP. That also turn to forest service w/dispersed a little way in. There are some good camping spots on a reservoir here: https://goo.gl/maps/LJvbNcLacp22 and some hot springs here: https://goo.gl/maps/X2e1gZ9jEb52.

Last edited:
Reactions: ExpTheUnknown

ExpTheUnknown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Liberty Park, 07305, Hudson County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Chavers
Member #

Head east from the airport. Go out to the Gros Ventre wilderness and camp out that way. Just drove out of there this morning and it's all clear for snow for quite a ways. Beautiful scenery and great camping. You won't be disappointed. Of course Grand Teton is awesome too but could be crowded. Ooooo Shadow MTN is awesome. And right by the airport. Hit me up if you want more suggestions. I might even be able to show you around if we aren't busy.

Edit: I just remembered a couple other spots that are good for camping in Grand Teton: Pacific Creek Rd near the Moran entrance which turns into Forest Service a little ways in. There's dispersed camping back there. Also, Ashton-Flagg Ranch Rd, aka Grassy Lake Rd, in John D Rockefeller Jr Memorial Parkway just between GTNP and YNP. That also turn to forest service w/dispersed a little way in. There are some good camping spots on a reservoir here: https://goo.gl/maps/LJvbNcLacp22 and some hot springs here: https://goo.gl/maps/X2e1gZ9jEb52.
Thank you so much! Have never been anywhere near the area so some good spots are a great thing, really looking forward to it