Rank I

Contributor I

Cleveland, Bradley County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

We are planning our first camping trip to Wyoming next year around April/May and looking for some easy trails/camping areas. This will be our first “adventure” in our RTT. I have a 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD OFF-ROAD leveling kit and KO2s. We are headed to ol faithful from Chattanooga,TN area. We have 2 weeks to work with for the trip. Thanks for any advise.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
My only experience outside the park was a NF campground right outside the MT gate. It wasn't as congested and pricey. I wish I could be more help.

I used to four wheel a great deal with guys from your area. I have fond memories of the Tellico OHV area, WindRock, Hummer land, Little Buffalo, and Coppenger's Cove to name a few. Great times.

BuffaloPhil

Rank IV

Influencer II

Jackson, WY, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

I'm familiar with Northwest Wyoming mostly. Here's a few thoughts FWIW: 1) Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks are treasures and some of the most beatiful parts of our country; 2) these two parks have gone to an advance reservation system for camping -- try to make reservations far in advance if you wish to camp in the parks proper; 3) There is plenty of dispersed/established camping the the national forests -- keep in mind the closer to Jackson Hole you are, the more congested camping will be; 4) check out the Gros Ventre (pronounced Grow Vhant) River campground north of Jackson -- very nice and convenient to town, Gran Teton, and Yellowstone (day trip); 5) The Wind River range (basecamp Lander, or Dubois, WY) is spectacular; 6) keep in mind most of the overland trails cut across WY, e.g. Mormon, California, Oregon trails. Much of the trial are intact, visible, and accessible on BLM land.; 7) I esepcially recommend driving the Lander Road from South Pass City, WY to Boulder WY. You can camp free and easily along this road as well. The Lander Road was the first federally-financed highway in the US. Lots of other hints/suggesstions if the northwest part of WY remians in your plans.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I spent several weeks in Wyoming back last August. I was on a fishing mission. I found many great fishing spots from the Bighorns to the Beartooths. I mainly camped on NFS lands in dispersed campsites. If you plan to come or go through Yellowstone from the NW entrance a good trip is through the Beartooths towards Cody, WY. Hwy 212 then 296. Dead Indian Pass is impressive. Cody is a neat town also. I scout on Google Maps in areas of interest.

Beware of all the cows in the roads! They are subject to be anywhere. A few sheep also.

DaJudge

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Mexico
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Judge
Member #

2022 Summer Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to cars at 8 a.m. on the following dates:

• April 15: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village
  • May 6: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village
  • May 11: Cooke City to Chief Joseph Scenic Byway
  • May 13: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall
  • May 27: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway
Keep an eye on the snow fall totals, things can stay buried until June.

Reactions: DevilDodge

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

All good suggestions, so far. I might add 1) the Shoshone National Forest east of the Wind River Range. I'm not sure the snow will be melted by then. 2) I second Gros Ventre campground. It's sits next to the River of the same name and a pretty good Moose spotting opportunity. 3) Get on your Gaia MVUM and Public Lands layer and look around Teton National Forest east and northeast of Jackson. There are a lot of trails there that are easily accessible and have great views. Again, not sure if the snow will be melted.

Finally, I really like the Bridger National Forest east of Afton. I didn't get to go there on our trip and sorry I missed it. The Wyoming portion of the TransAmerica Trail goes through there.

Have fun and safe travels.

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
If you get over the Wyoming Wind River Mountains way, look me up. We keep a small apartment below the house down by the river just for OB folks, family and others to stay a nt. or two ... shower up and shelter the civilized way. Five miles outside Dubois on the River with private fishing. Its all free for OBers and hide a key for you if I'm out on a back country trip. Just clean up when you leave for the next people and leave bedding on the floor. You can reach me through my website Trout Bumming.com
Goes for anyone coming Yellowstone way. Know some pretty good places to share and send you but prefer in person or over phone. Mark

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
If you get over the Wyoming Wind River Mountains way, look me up. We keep a small apartment below the house down by the river just for OB folks, family and others to stay a nt. or two ... shower up and shelter the civilized way. Five miles outside Dubois on the River with private fishing. Its all free for OBers and hide a key for you if I'm out on a back country trip. Just clean up when you leave for the next people and leave bedding on the floor. You can reach me through my website Trout Bumming.com
Goes for anyone coming Yellowstone way. Know some pretty good places to share and send you but prefer in person or over phone. Mark
Mark, is there a route between Pinedale and Dubois that is workable for a Jeep with a teardrop trailer?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I'm on the way! JK, but I will be back if at all possible. I may look you up.

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
Fire Dude . Yes and I believe you're talking about Union Pass RD. But , it does not open till usually early July because of snow loads. It's a good idea to have hard sided campin g in there as griz are out and about. Sounds like your trailer will be perfect! Super beautiful and many side roads, lakes, rivers and streams to explore. Going over, consider Lake of the Woods , west side of rd turnoff a couple of miles in. Big bows and regular brook t. Camp right along the lakeside. Best sites on SW corner of lake. Closer to Dubois side watch on your left if you are going north... a pipe coming out of ground right along the road. Fresh spring water and its tasty. You can fill up. Original road builders put it in. Also , I would recommend you go up the Green River as the road catches it over by the Pinedale side and dead ends at Green River Lakes. Wow, stunningly beautiful! Views of Flat Top mountain. I wrote an article about the area in Northwest Flyfishing mag a few years back if you want more in depth info. Old issues can be ordered and downloaded from them if it would help. Lots of camping areas along the river below the lake, but if you prefer a FS campground one there for a small fee. Lake trout on the bite in the early summer. Fish the deeper dropoffs right by the outlet. Hope I helped. Look me up when you get there. More contact info on my profile page. Question... How many years did you put into public safety and what dept if I can ask? Thank you for your service to us. Mark

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Sweet, THANK YOU!! I'm off to the map books again! LOL

Edit, I missed your question on first read.....I am a 20 year retired volunteer firefighter on the western slope of Colorado....much of that time ( 12 years) my paying job was as a police officer......then, I spent about 8 years-ish in the Fire Marshals office. Loved every minute.

Thanks for your service as well!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Fire Dude . Yes and I believe you're talking about Union Pass RD. But , it does not open till usually early July because of snow loads. It's a good idea to have hard sided campin g in there as griz are out and about. Sounds like your trailer will be perfect! Super beautiful and many side roads, lakes, rivers and streams to explore. Going over, consider Lake of the Woods , west side of rd turnoff a couple of miles in. Big bows and regular brook t. Camp right along the lakeside. Best sites on SW corner of lake. Closer to Dubois side watch on your left if you are going north... a pipe coming out of ground right along the road. Fresh spring water and its tasty. You can fill up. Original road builders put it in. Also , I would recommend you go up the Green River as the road catches it over by the Pinedale side and dead ends at Green River Lakes. Wow, stunningly beautiful! Views of Flat Top mountain. I wrote an article about the area in Northwest Flyfishing mag a few years back if you want more in depth info. Old issues can be ordered and downloaded from them if it would help. Lots of camping areas along the river below the lake, but if you prefer a FS campground one there for a small fee. Lake trout on the bite in the early summer. Fish the deeper dropoffs right by the outlet. Hope I helped. Look me up when you get there. More contact info on my profile page. Question... How many years did you put into public safety and what dept if I can ask? Thank you for your service to us. Mark
I’ve been wondering if there was a route through between the two. It seemed like it was probably there, but I’ve never heard anything about it.

I’ve been up in the pinedale and green river lakes area a few times. I’m hoping to get back this coming summer.

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
Some great input in this thread!

I am 82 days out from leaving Pa for Yellowstone/Teton NP's, rented a vrbo on the Yellowstone in Paradise Valley for 11 days with the family who fly in/out of Bozeman. I should arrive in Jackson area on May 10th. I was last in the area in 2012 and based out of Dillon MT area.

Once the family fly's back i'll be spending a few weeks in the area meandering down into UT and CO before heading back east.

OP, take the names of trails/towns you see posted here and search youtube. You'll find plenty of camp sites to bookmark where you get an idea of the views before you arrive. The Gros Ventre dispersed areas look spectacular.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

In 2004 I mountain biked from Helena, MT to Steamboat Springs, CO. Part of the route went through Wise River MT to Polaris, Bannock ghost town, from there the back roads west of Hwy 15,, via Muddy Creek Rd and Big Sheep Canyon. Beautiful country. After passing into Lima, MT the Route heads past Red Rocks Lake on the south side where it passes Hell Roaring Creek, the source for the Missouri River before going over the pass and down to The Tetons. Head East from the Tetons toward Dubois and drop south over Union Pass. We saw moose in there.
Head to Cora and Pinedale and Boulder on the South side of the Wind Rivers. At Boulder take 353(?) and head to the Lander cutoff and take it to the highway. IIRC part of the cutoff runs along the Continental Divide. All of the above is 90% fire roads in frelling amazingly beautiful and historic country.

Last edited:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

What kind of teardrop do you have out of curiosity?
Not the most "ruggedized" one out there, but we love it. NuCamp Tag Boondock. It was my wife's choice, consequently it's perfect :wink:
I have the T@g Boondock XL - love it! I’ll be heading out to Wyoming in early June.