Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, what to see?

• HTML tutorial

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hey all,

I've got two weeks to roam around Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and Nevada in October. The first week is gonna be spent with family in or around Jackson Hole, WY and we're probably gonna be doing touristy things around Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs. The week after that I have all to myself as I meander my way back down to California.

For members who live in or are familiar with those states. What should be on my "must see" list? Not really interested in doing any hardcore off-road trails since I'll be solo but looking for cool overland campsites, great scenery, etc. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

If you have the option the drive west from Denver to Moab is unforgettable. If not , Northwest Utah is absolutely gorgeous, easily one of my favorite states .

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
There are SO many roads to drive in UT, but I’m too new here to tell you where to give you a must see list. We were on a 2 day trip through Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase-Escalante and Bryce Canyon last week. We stayed on the beaten path (my wife’s not super adventurous), but there were lots of roads in the Capitol Reef area that looked fun to explore. San Rafael Swell area has lots of roads and great scenery. Check out expeditionutah.com for loads of info on the almost endless areas to explore.

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

If you have the option the drive west from Denver to Moab is unforgettable. If not , Northwest Utah is absolutely gorgeous, easily one of my favorite states .
I actually already did that drive (NY-CA) almost 20 years ago. That stretch of 70 from Denver to Las Vegas is something else. I actually started looking into how to move into that area after driving through it.

There are SO many roads to drive in UT, but I’m too new here to tell you where to give you a must see list. We were on a 2 day trip through Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase-Escalante and Bryce Canyon last week. We stayed on the beaten path (my wife’s not super adventurous), but there were lots of roads in the Capitol Reef area that looked fun to explore. San Rafael Swell area has lots of roads and great scenery. Check out expeditionutah.com for loads of info on the almost endless areas to explore.
I spent a few days in Utah RVing with the family a couple of years ago so we've done the touristy paths too, mostly Zion and Bryce. Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of that.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

One stop in Idaho that is a must and absolutely unique in terrain is Craters of the Moon. Campsites on black lava bed. Big enough for RV if needed and running water for toilets and showers. Outdoor theater where they will tell you history of the park at twilight under the stars. Absolutely amazing place.

Reactions: ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

One stop in Idaho that is a must and absolutely unique in terrain is Craters of the Moon. Campsites on black lava bed. Big enough for RV if needed and running water for toilets and showers. Outdoor theater where they will tell you history of the park at twilight under the stars. Absolutely amazing place.

Excellent! Thanks. It's about a 4-hour drive from the cabin we're renting in Idaho but doable. Gonna have to check that out.

Reactions: Chadlyb