Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Vonderhaar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LNT
I am in the market for a semi-capable off-road, very lightweight (4500 max wet weight) Toad (dingy).

I do not need a full-blown 4-x4 monster here and it has to be light and flat towable. I am not doing anything very advanced. Just need some decent clearance and the ability to flat-tow (not dolly or trailer) like most Jeeps. I really would prefer something totally turn-key with a base plate already, but it's not a must-have as long as the vehicle. I am not looking for a beater that needs work. It needs to be something decently clean and reasonable amount of mileage for age. Stock late model year keeps without a ton of modifications would be good, as would any modified (rally-like setups) on saying something like a Mini Cooper. The vehicle must be street legal. It's going to see a lot of unimproved (dirt, gravel, pitted, washboard) roads and very well-developed (beginner) trails, but nothing crazy. I am looking in all the usual places, but thought I would try here "just in case."

I am in Los Angeles, CA.

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@OverDavidLand

VW Baja bugs seem to be coming back into style lately. They make an ultra light Toad and can go far more places than most folks think they can.
If you go this route get one that is NOT a superbeetle as the commercial tow bars only fit either the Link pin or Ball Joint front beams which are missing on the strut front ended Super beetle models.

Should be a bunch of these still available in and around LA

Boort