WRANGLER JK REAR EXPEDITION SET-UP BUILD

• HTML tutorial

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

This project was to make expedition set-up for the rear of the my 2 door Jeep Wrangler JK. I bought as couple of ex-MOD flight containers and restored and modded them. I made a lightweight top that effective binds the two and allows for a second tier of storage above them. I used aluminium covered plastic sheeting for that and 3M Dual Lock strips to hold them fast to the containers. For about a $100 investment it's a decent setup and has served me well thus far. It's quite handy because when at camp you just lift the two containers out, add the top again and you've a sturdy camp/work table.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Duncan,

Those are vey nice boxes. What a brilliant idea.

Greetings from Robert

buns79

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Very nice I like it! Just this past weekend I installed a fold down tailgate table for our trip to daytona beach Florida for jeep beach, we leave this weekend can't wait!!! 

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Jason, yes, that was one of my first mods, too. I also made a beach cutting board for mine. They're handy things, for sure!

http://4wdx.com/wrangler-jk-tailgate-table-custom-beech-wood-cutting-board/

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

you just gave me some ideas. Thank mang! @administrator

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Nice storage solution for the Jeep, Duncan.

How sturdy are those cases?  Can a 180lb guy stand on one without deforming it?  Are they weather-tight?

Thanks, and good luck with the build.  It's looking good already.

Reactions: F8OO

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

@deeker Oh they're sturdy are heck. I would say 3 men could stand on one at the same time and it wouldn't budge! They're ex-MOD and cost £25 each off eBay when I bought them.

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

This is what they looked like when I bought them. http://4wdx.com/?attachment_id=1403

Shane_ONeil

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Manassas, Virginia, USA
Member #

Very creative and brilliant application.  I'm thinking of obtaining some used military cases for my roof rack and would not have thought of it until I read this page.  Nice work.

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Cheers Shane! Yes, there are always plenty of them on the auction sites and they're very reasonable compared with buying new commercially produced ones and often better quality, too.