Would you go for a 60 or a 100 series cruiser?

• HTML tutorial

Vwprodigy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Denmark
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Petersen
Hi all, I am in a position where I after long time searching have a nice hj61 and a nice VX100 1HD-FTE on hand.. the vehicle price is basically the same, but the 60 will be a lot cheaper in roadtax due to it being a classic car.
I will use the car for my family of 4 on 1-2 week trips in Norway, Sweden and Iceland (a trip will most likely be 2-3000km). What would be your choice between these two and why? Also one concern I have related to the 60 is the lack of headrests in the rear seats.. anyone who have retrofitted rear headrests to a classic rig? Also I am not sure if the rear seat in the 60 can be folded down? (I will make a sleeping platform so the seat needs to be foldable)

Last edited:

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Hi all, I am in a position where I after long time searching have a nice hj61 and a nice VX100 1HD-FTE on hand.. the vehicle price is basically the same, but the 60 will be a lot cheaper in roadtax due to it being a classic car.
I will use the car for my family of 4 on 1-2 week trips in Norway, Sweden and Iceland (a trip will most likely be 2-3000km). What would be your choice between these two and why? Also one concern I have related to the 60 is the lack of headrests in the rear seats.. anyone who have retrofitted rear headrests to a classic rig? Also I am not sure if the rear seat in the 60 can be folded down? (I will make a sleeping platform so the seat needs to be foldable)
The 100 offers a better drivetrain and IFS, but it is hard not to love the classics like 60's. I would say it depends on your skill level for maintaining the rig. The 60 is a much simpler design.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The only issue with a 60 is the engine is from an era where manufacturers were bolting stuff onto old designs to meet emissions. For that reason it will be more complicated than it needs to be. Here in the US we have lots of freedom when it comes to retrofitting classic cars to overcome this, not sure about Europe.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
While cool those old small displacement naturally aspirated diesels are so low on power they border on undriveable. I mean we are talking 90 or so HP and around 150lb ft of torque. Honestly I would take the gas straight six over the diesel (even the later turbo charged 6cylinder diesel doesnt have much more power than the gasser), the 4L six was rated at 150hp and 200lb ft. Its just a pain that they have all the bolt on emissions stuff that just opens you up to more potential issues.

Oh and to add, if you really want a diesel Land Cruiser you can find them in Canada or Mexico, and so long as they are 25years old or older the importation process isnt too horrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4Wheelexplorer

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

While cool those old small displacement naturally aspirated diesels are so low on power they border on undriveable. I mean we are talking 90 or so HP and around 150lb ft of torque. Honestly I would take the gas straight six over the diesel (even the later turbo charged 6cylinder diesel doesnt have much more power than the gasser), the 4L six was rated at 150hp and 200lb ft. Its just a pain that they have all the bolt on emissions stuff that just opens you up to more potential issues.

Oh and to add, if you really want a diesel Land Cruiser you can find them in Canada or Mexico, and so long as they are 25years old or older the importation process isnt too horrible.
Very true for those of us in the U.S., too much emissions garabage under hood, have to find the motor through the hoses :) He was discussing use in euope, so will have to assume he would get a euro spec unit either way. Personally, my favorite choice is neither, but rather the 70 Series beasts (78/79 model preferred)

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Very true for those of us in the U.S., too much emissions garabage under hood, have to find the motor through the hoses :) He was discussing use in euope, so will have to assume he would get a euro spec unit either way. Personally, my favorite choice is neither, but rather the 70 Series beasts (78/79 model preferred)
There will still be some of the emissions nightmare on European engines. Most of the lines we all hate are a result of analogue ECMs running EFI or feed back carburetors.