VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Alright guys looking to make a big change and wanting to relocate. Currently live in South Florida but I'm really into camping and going on adventures and it seems like the east coast has some good areas to go on adventures but it seems like the west coast is where it's at. I've done some research and I really like a lot of areas in Oregon but Colorado also seems like an amazing state also. If you guys had to pick one state or the other which would it be and why? I know this is for the Oregon region but I'm going to post this same thread in the Colorado region section also. Thanks guys

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Alright guys looking to make a big change and wanting to relocate. Currently live in South Florida but I'm really into camping and going on adventures and it seems like the east coast has some good areas to go on adventures but it seems like the west coast is where it's at. I've done some research and I really like a lot of areas in Oregon but Colorado also seems like an amazing state also. If you guys had to pick one state or the other which would it be and why? I know this is for the Oregon region but I'm going to post this same thread in the Colorado region section also. Thanks guys
I'd choose Oregon because of central location in the PNW....you can roll into Washington, Idaho,California, Canada, and Colorado easily from there. Two different types of climate based on which side of Cascades you live. Same in Washington. I am born and raised Washington and headed for my next life adventures in Central Oregon. Absolutely beautiful and excited to go.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Tough decision... What do you do for money? I think the cost of living is cheaper in Oregon. There's a lot to like about both of them. Personally, I'd go with Oregon, probably Bend. I like the high desert and the river. You get all the seasons not just rain like further towards the coast. I haven't explored Colorado much.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I chose OR, loved living there and would have never come back to CA if it wasn't for a grandchild.

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

I'm not familiar with CO at all but I know Oregon pretty well. If you haven't spent much time here just know there is a pretty big difference between being from "Oregon" and being from "Portland."

If you can avoid Portland do it. Becoming way too crowded. Traffic 7 days a week. Protests every other weekend. Homeless everywhere with no end in sight. Etc. Etc. That being said, nearly all the well paying jobs are in Portland. If you by chance are in a situation where you don't need a Portland job there are some great areas even just an hour outside of Portland.

I live about 45-60 minutes from downtown Portland out in the country and love it. I do however commute into Portland everyday for work. From home I'm about 2 hours from any part of the northern Oregon coast, an hour from any ski resort on Mt. Hood, 2 hours from the high desert of Central Oregon, and hour from the Columbia River Gorge, and a whole lot in between. I've also got a ton of wilderness within an hour of my house that I have yet to explore. On occasion we do weekend trips to Seattle which is just under 4 hours away.

Central Oregon is nice. A little more laid back, less hustle, more country, and seems everyone wants to make their way there. Over the last 15-20 years it has gotten real expensive and very Californian in parts. It gets hot in the summer, cold with lots of snow in the winter, but the positive is very little rain. There also isn't much in the way of work in central Oregon.

With all that, I don't plan on ever leaving Oregon unless for political reasons.

If you want to explore NW Oregon in pictures check out my instagram @jacobcarrollphotography

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Thanks for the replys guys looks like oregon is winning out. It was my first choice but never really looked into Colorado so I was curious. I have a trip planned in October for a week in oregon so I'm hoping to explore and map out a place to live. I'll be renting probably thr first year.

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

Thanks for the replys guys looks like oregon is winning out. It was my first choice but never really looked into Colorado so I was curious. I have a trip planned in October for a week in oregon so I'm hoping to explore and map out a place to live. I'll be renting probably thr first year.
Do you have an idea what area of Oregon you're visiting?

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
The first weekend in October I’m planing a meet-up in the Portland area if you’re interested
That would be awesome but I gotta double check the dates I think we are going the second or third week of October

MtnDuck

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wagner
Service Branch
Army Vet
I grew up just south of Portland and have many good memories - but that was a long time ago. My parents resettled to the north side of the Columbia river, in Vancouver. Might be worth researching a little: cost, pace, etc. Commute times are similar to any around Portland. Just more good for thought.

For the foreseeable future, I'm stuck in SoCal. My heart has always wished to return to the PacNW though!

Good luck in your visit and pending decisions.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I grew up just south of Portland and have many good memories - but that was a long time ago. My parents resettled to the north side of the Columbia river, in Vancouver. Might be worth researching a little: cost, pace, etc. Commute times are similar to any around Portland. Just more good for thought.

For the foreseeable future, I'm stuck in SoCal. My heart has always wished to return to the PacNW though!

Good luck in your visit and pending decisions.
Spent 9 years behind the orange county curtain. It's never too late to run for the hills and back to the PNW. You're always welcome anytime.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We are die hard BC'ers up here and I wouldn't ever call anywhere else my permanent home. But, if the lottery landed in our laps we would have a vacation place on the Oregon Coast. No question about it, it's our favorite state we've spent time by far.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
I'll be staying in a cabin close to Mt.Hood so east of portland. I would like to visit cvt and other tent companies while I'm there and if there's some kind of overland meet up I would be happy to join.

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

I'll be staying in a cabin close to Mt.Hood so east of portland. I would like to visit cvt and other tent companies while I'm there and if there's some kind of overland meet up I would be happy to join.
You will, in my opinion, be in one of the most beautiful parts of Oregon. The Mt Hood area is incredible and where I spend most my time. I live right on the edge of the Mt Hood National Forest. There are some incredible hikes and waterfalls all over the place. A coworker just did a 40 mile hike this weekend from Timberline Lodge to Ramona Falls then continued around Mt Hood back to Timberline. He got back to work today and the pictures are incredible.

Be fore warned, due to the Eagle Creek Fire last year in the gorge much of the gorge is still off limits so the rest of the area is more crowded than normal. If you avoid the tourist attractions it's not bad. I still manage to get away from people without issue.

If you want specific things to check out in the area let me know and I'll help however I can. There is a decent chance I've camped/spent time where ever you are staying.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
You will, in my opinion, be in one of the most beautiful parts of Oregon. The Mt Hood area is incredible and where I spend most my time. I live right on the edge of the Mt Hood National Forest. There are some incredible hikes and waterfalls all over the place. A coworker just did a 40 mile hike this weekend from Timberline Lodge to Ramona Falls then continued around Mt Hood back to Timberline. He got back to work today and the pictures are incredible.

Be fore warned, due to the Eagle Creek Fire last year in the gorge much of the gorge is still off limits so the rest of the area is more crowded than normal. If you avoid the tourist attractions it's not bad. I still manage to get away from people without issue.

If you want specific things to check out in the area let me know and I'll help however I can. There is a decent chance I've camped/spent time where ever you are staying.
Thanks I appreciate it! I’ll definitly dm you to get some ideas

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

6 Gen Oregonian, grew up in very nice part of Portland, but I don't recognize it anymore. The streets, the people, the attitude, the vibe have all changed with the influx of transplants. I don't blame anyone for wanting to live here, it was a great place to grow up. Crime forced us to move. Car prowls in a nicer neighborhood drove my insurance company crazy. Fog lights, radios, you name it, I lost it. Alarms, removable audio units, keeping the porch lights on, nothing helped. With no off street parking it sucked. I now live south of the city in West Linn. I can see the Rose Quarter (MODA Center) from my deck, but I avoid Portland like a root canal. Luckily from my home I can head N-E-S or W without dealing with the city. Everything changes in time, we all get older, but I do miss the old Portland...

Reactions: Chadlyb and Steve

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

6 Gen Oregonian, grew up in very nice part of Portland, but I don't recognize it anymore. The streets, the people, the attitude, the vibe have all changed with the influx of transplants. I don't blame anyone for wanting to live here, it was a great place to grow up. Crime forced us to move. Car prowls in a nicer neighborhood drove my insurance company crazy. Fog lights, radios, you name it, I lost it. Alarms, removable audio units, keeping the porch lights on, nothing helped. With no off street parking it sucked. I now live south of the city in West Linn. I can see the Rose Quarter (MODA Center) from my deck, but I avoid Portland like a root canal. Luckily from my home I can head N-E-S or W without dealing with the city. Everything changes in time, we all get older, but I do miss the old Portland...
Agreed. I live a little further out for similar reasons. Basically head to Oregon City then go another 20 minutes away from people.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I'm not familiar with CO at all but I know Oregon pretty well. If you haven't spent much time here just know there is a pretty big difference between being from "Oregon" and being from "Portland."

If you can avoid Portland do it. Becoming way too crowded. Traffic 7 days a week. Protests every other weekend. Homeless everywhere with no end in sight. Etc. Etc. That being said, nearly all the well paying jobs are in Portland. If you by chance are in a situation where you don't need a Portland job there are some great areas even just an hour outside of Portland.

I live about 45-60 minutes from downtown Portland out in the country and love it. I do however commute into Portland everyday for work. From home I'm about 2 hours from any part of the northern Oregon coast, an hour from any ski resort on Mt. Hood, 2 hours from the high desert of Central Oregon, and hour from the Columbia River Gorge, and a whole lot in between. I've also got a ton of wilderness within an hour of my house that I have yet to explore. On occasion we do weekend trips to Seattle which is just under 4 hours away.

Central Oregon is nice. A little more laid back, less hustle, more country, and seems everyone wants to make their way there. Over the last 15-20 years it has gotten real expensive and very Californian in parts. It gets hot in the summer, cold with lots of snow in the winter, but the positive is very little rain. There also isn't much in the way of work in central Oregon.

With all that, I don't plan on ever leaving Oregon unless for political reasons.

If you want to explore NW Oregon in pictures check out my instagram @jacobcarrollphotography
This.. this right here...

Funny enough for many of the reasons in this post and others, my family and extended family have been looking to move out or Oregon. Portland runs the whole state, which rubs pretty much everyone I know the wrong way.

That being said, we have been scouting parts of Colorado earlier this year, and planning to check out the Spokane WA / west border of Idaho for our next home before the end of the year. We are planted here until next summer, so for now we are enjoying what we can.

For reference, I transplanted two decades ago from Oklahoma, and my wife has been here about 4 years from Georgia. The change in culture and traffic in my time here has been staggering.

Feel free to drop me a note for more specific information about the area.

Traveler I

Nor Cal
I would choose Oregon (PNW) definitely in a heartbeat if I didn't love Seattle.

I currently live in California but love to travel to Oregon, Seattle and the PNW.

Oregon has a lot of great places to goto.

Cannon Beach
Multnomah Falls

Plus you aren't that far from a lot of beautiful places in Shasta County.