Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

From the photo it looks alright ex military trailer should strong so I would say yes but try and knock him down on the price. But if its what you want go for it. Because I know from your post your looking at build a trailer.

Reactions: Art

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Those model trailers are getting harder to come by. Especially if it's in that good of shape, as it appears to be.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The trailer looks solid but I'd low ball them and see what you could get it for. You could buy a new trailer and have enough to customize it some for $1k.

grantwilson

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. augustine, Fl
Member #

That isnt even a qualifying trailer. Youd have to swap the axle at a minimum, figure out a mild lift of some sort, get wheels and tires that arent lawn mower sized.

Let me refigure that
Even a shitty decently built trailer is 800

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
That isnt even a qualifying trailer. Youd have to swap the axle at a minimum, figure out a mild lift of some sort, get wheels and tires that arent lawn mower sized.

Let me refigure that
Even a shitty decently built trailer is 800
I that all depends on how original that trailer is? The original 416 trailers were rated at 1/4 ton, so that little trailer I posted is rated at over three times what the 416 is. Doing a spring over will give you a pretty easy 3-4" of lift with only four little welds and maintains the factory camber so it tracks good on the highway. I've done this twice to farm trailers to get them up to bumper height. Many 416 builds wind up going with different axles anyways to get away from the tube style axle, I can't remember the exact name but Tembren jumps out at me offhand. As for wheels and tires, yeah the factory ones are pretty tiny on that 3.5x5 trailer but I'd be looking at adapters to get to the same wheels/tires I have on my Xterra so no matter what I bought that'd have to happen. 6x4.5 isn't an amazingly common pattern but is then have at least two spares, one on the trailer and one on the Xterra.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Now I'm not saying don't get this trailer, I would probably go for it, but I'd try to get him to come down. But if I couldn't get to where I was comfortable, I could walk away knowing I had options.

I've ACTUALLY been considering putting together "skids" I could set into my 5.5x10 (spring over lifted already and waiting till it needs tires again to go up in size) that would have my overlanding setup on it to use on trips. It's wide and long though so I've been examining other options. I've offered to trade it to my Dad for a 5x8 he's got that would work a little better for my skid plan.

Reactions: craig.stern1

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Hmm thanks for the info! Honestly I'm kind of leaning towards a 4x6x3 enclosed trailer then reinforcing for a RTT but it would be able to do some double duty for regular hauling.

Reactions: TerryD

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

This has been in the back of my mind since I saw it. Just talked to the owner and he wont drop the price but mentioned that it has new bearings, new lights, new wiring, replace the floor, new tailgate, new tires and rims.

This is becoming so tempting. I would want different hubs to match my 4Runner, any idea how much that would cost?

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Art. The hubs 6 bolt I assume with electric brakes &40.00 without probably 27--30. I can send you a source to order or send them directly to you. I'll get you my cost naturally I can also source any build items you need a lot cheaper than you'll find anywhere and no junk involved

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Art