Would love to see a patriot camper x1 and opus OP4 in Person Northern CA - do you have one?

• HTML tutorial

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Hello All,

My family and I do long road trips with our 20' travel trailer but have been doing a lot more overloading and off grid camping so we are looking for a family trailer option that will suit that type of travel more. We are doing it with a ground tent now which is fine but we like the amenities of having a trailer with us. We are trying to decide between the OPUS OP4 and the patriot X1. I would love to be able to check them both out and compare before making our decision so I have two questions for you:

1 - Do you have an opus OP4 or Patriot X1 in Norther CA you'd be willing to show me and let me check out?

2 - Id really love to rent one. Do you have either of these units that you would be willing to rent out?

DM me to let me know thanks!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello All,

My family and I do long road trips with our 20' travel trailer but have been doing a lot more overloading and off grid camping so we are looking for a family trailer option that will suit that type of travel more. We are doing it with a ground tent now which is fine but we like the amenities of having a trailer with us. We are trying to decide between the OPUS OP4 and the patriot X1. I would love to be able to check them both out and compare before making our decision so I have two questions for you:

1 - Do you have an opus OP4 or Patriot X1 in Norther CA you'd be willing to show me and let me check out?

2 - Id really love to rent one. Do you have either of these units that you would be willing to rent out?

You might try @Magic Mike for the Patriot, he is currently in Auburn I believe. They are full timers.

Reactions: Overland Rich

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hello All,

My wife and I have a Patriot Camper X1H and we are currently in Auburn, but are leaving for Baja Sur California on Monday morning. If you would like to see our X1H we would be happy to show you ours but you would have to come down to Auburn tomorrow. We will be here doing some work on our rig before our trip.. My number is 530-613-8328..
Let me know..

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Hi Mike, thanks for the offer. My whole family got sick and are waiting for Covid test results that are taking over 6 days. I didn’t want to risk getting any of you sick before you left for Baja. Would have loved to have met you to talk about full timing it and the patriot. I hope you are enjoying Baja!

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Hello All,

I was able to check out the opus at cordelia RV thanks for the tip. I was also able to rule it out unfortunately. They simply have no storage at all in them. Not even for food. We like to go away for 5-8 days at a time minimum, sometimes a month and we always have 4 bikes and 3 inflatable paddle boards with us and all the gear to go with it so storage is a must for us. The beds were also awful in the opus. After watching many videos on the storage set up and the inner spring mattress for the bed in the patriot as well as the build quality and rear receiver hitch that we could put a swing away bike carrier on I am convinced this is a better route to go but still want to be able to see one first. I wasn't able to connect with Mike because my family got Ill and I didn't want to give him anything before his trip. If anyone else has a Patriot X1 with the integrated tent that they are willing to show off in Northern California or know of one to rent anywhere in CA Let me know.

Thanks!

FirenzeForza4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Napa Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Apal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SNX
Hello All,

I was able to check out the opus at cordelia RV thanks for the tip. I was also able to rule it out unfortunately. They simply have no storage at all in them. Not even for food. We like to go away for 5-8 days at a time minimum, sometimes a month and we always have 4 bikes and 3 inflatable paddle boards with us and all the gear to go with it so storage is a must for us. The beds were also awful in the opus. After watching many videos on the storage set up and the inner spring mattress for the bed in the patriot as well as the build quality and rear receiver hitch that we could put a swing away bike carrier on I am convinced this is a better route to go but still want to be able to see one first. I wasn't able to connect with Mike because my family got Ill and I didn't want to give him anything before his trip. If anyone else has a Patriot X1 with the integrated tent that they are willing to show off in Northern California or know of one to rent anywhere in CA Let me know.

Thanks!
Thanks for the info on the actual practical components. Good to know!

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Thanks for the info on the actual practical components. Good to know!
Yeah there was actually a lot I didn't like. The air beams are big so if you sleep side to side in the beds they are hitting you in the head and I'm not tall, just under 5'10" so you have to sleep length wise and use the bed extensions, the bed pads are a joke. I was worried about that because in every video I saw they had heaps of egg crates and memory foam add ons on the beds and had trouble latching the trailer down. The main issue though is that none of the under bed storage is useful. The main side to side bench has the kitchen underneath it, one has the toilet underneath it. The rest have mechanicals running through them, one even with a warning not to store anything in it. There was only one small one that was one and useable for storage, had the wheel well in it and was slightly larger than a lunchbox. Outside there is no pantry storage whatsoever nor pots and pans storage. There is only one exterior storage compartment and it's quite small opposite the kitchen slide out and if you option the AC which I wouldn't but if you do there are no storage compartments. That means all your clothes even are in duffel bags or backpacks which you can't even store in the footwell inside the trailer because in order to close the lid all the bench seating seat pads and backs have to be piled neatly in a game of tetris so you have to store that stuff on the boat rack or in the tow vehicle. It's a neat unit, clearance for days but to put it in perspective it's as wide as my travel trailer, the same weight as my travel trailer and just 5 feet shorter so I don't think ti would be that easy to tow off road. The patriot is much smaller, much lighter, better laid out, has heaps of storage and at the end of the day, you are still sleeping in a tent in either one.

JPPNC

Rank II

Contributor III

Eastern North Carolina
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Pye
Member #

Hello All,

Rich,
Similar question on rigs. Did you make a decision?
JP