Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Whats the opinion on remote reservoir shocks on overland rigs? I sort of know I'm going to bite the bullet on reservoirs because of a recent trip (shock fade) and future plans, but I'm interested to hear others opinions.

Also, is there anyone running a reservoir that wish they wouldn't have?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

If you have the room and it won't break the bank, I'd get them. A week driving the washboard roads in Death Valley made all the difference for me. Room for the extra reservoir was a little tricky, but it was the line between the res and shock body that was the trickiest in terms of routing. I have Bilstein 7100's and there's a thick blue rubbery hose and a thinner steel braided line. The blue rubbery one is on the rear shocks, and the steel braided up front. They just worked out that way, and I don't think there would be an issue with the rubber ones in the engine compartment.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

If you have the room and it won't break the bank, I'd get them. A week driving the washboard roads in Death Valley made all the difference for me. Room for the extra reservoir was a little tricky, but it was the line between the res and shock body that was the trickiest in terms of routing. I have Bilstein 7100's and there's a thick blue rubbery hose and a thinner steel braided line. The blue rubbery one is on the rear shocks, and the steel braided up front. They just worked out that way, and I don't think there would be an issue with the rubber ones in the engine compartment.
There should be room enough for the reservoir. The ones I'm looking at are Fox, they're all braided lines and they're tuned to my spring rate which is excellent.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

I run radflo 2.5 coilovers w/remote reservoirs in the front and fox remote shocks in the rear and they do not seem to fade on any all-day rough trips!

Previous set of regular radflo and bilstiens did seem to fade quickly.

Can't stress enough the benefits of some timbren active offroad bumpstops too! They're incredible and the hard bone-jarring bottom-outs will be a thing of the past! Just nice and cushy after install! [emoji41]